Dumpling Maker? I need your feedback!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Dumpling man

Assistant Cook
Greetings!

I am a student designing a dumpling maker for an engineering design project. I was wondering if those of you who are familiar with the dumpling making process could answer these quick questions:

1. On average, how many times a month do you make dumplings? How many dumplings per servings?

2. Do you make them homemade or use a device?

3. What is the most money you would pay for a quality dumpling maker?

4. Would you pay more money for a maker that is multipurpose, i.e. one that makes ravioli, periogies, etc.?

5. How many dumplings would you expect the maker to produce per minute?

Any other comments would be most appreciated!

Thank you very much for your feedback! It is most appreciated!

Sincerely,
The Dumpling Man :chef:

Google "dumpling maker" and see what is already on the market. They range from home pierogie makers (about $3 US) to ravioli makers that only need a rolling pin ($8+ US) to fully automated fill-and-form devices.

When I make filled dumplings like pierogie, empanadas, etc. I do them by hand. All I need is a rolling pin and a round cutting device ... a biscuit cutter, or a round can, glass, cup - works just fine.

For ravioli - I have a pasta roller, rolling pin and a pastry cutter (if I want fluted edges) - otherwise either the buscuit cutter for round ravioli, or a knife for square.

I do have a filled dumpling gizmo - made of plastic - that is supposed to crimp the edges ... but I still have to cut the dough and fill it by hand ... I used it once.

For home use ... I've got all I need- and speed isn't an issue for me.

If you are talking about commercial production ... again, look at what is already on the market to get some ideas.

IMHO - one of the problems with the proliferation of useless cooking gadgets dumped on the market each year is the fact that some "engineering student" concocted a gizmo to solve a "problem" ... and never bothered to understand what they were trying to "improve".

Last edited:
1. On average, how many times a month do you make dumplings? How many dumplings per servings?
I make them every two to three months and freeze them.

2. Do you make them homemade or use a device?
All handmade.

3. What is the most money you would pay for a quality dumpling maker?
I wouldn't buy them, I think I can make them as fast by hand..

4. Would you pay more money for a maker that is multipurpose, i.e. one that makes ravioli, periogies, etc.?
Nope.

5. How many dumplings would you expect the maker to produce per minute?
More than me.:)

I never make dumplings. But... I would buy a home egg pasteurising device. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one either. Any chance of you turning your hand to that instead?

Good luck in any case.

I just use a rolling pin to make thin dumplings are a spoon to make big, fluffy dumplings. Not sure what kind of device would actually make that better.

Sorry we're not much help but I guess we are answering some of your questions.

Questions for The Dumpling man

Did you choose to design a dumpling maker or is this your class assignment?
Did you get a list and this one just stuck out and made you hungry?
Are you a chef at heart and wanted to combine your interest and homework?
What type of engineering degree are you working to achieve?
How much would you pay for an apple dumpling at a fast food restaurant?
Can you design a dumpling maker attachment for a Kitchen Aid?
Can I use this dumpling maker for spaeyzle?
Will this device be electric?
I want a dumpling maker where I put my dough in a quart size vial on top, a flour tray beneath this that blows and dust the dough as it is pulled by pressure from the vial into the machine where it is formed and feeds onto a tray attachment on the lower front. The tray should be able to accomodate one batch.
Can you design a dumpling maker that only has one or two detachable parts that are to be cleaned? (like the trays and the vial?) You would have to develop a flushing system (like coffee pot cleaner) to clean the internel unit.

YUP. StirBlue gets the prize for what I wanted to write but was to lazy to do.

Yes, even though I dont have a job, I dont feel like writing much. My keyboard susks. In fact I was writing a letter fo Damp and my SHIFT key broke off. :ermm: :neutral:

Well, before StirBlue get's StirCrazy, and Deadly Shushi becomes rotten "fugu fishsticks" ...

It seems that we've had an "engineering student", "engineering design student", "industrial design student" or just plain "design student", or two, every semester for the past 2-3 years (including summer semesters) wanting our opinions on something.

One or two have demonstrated that they had at least some knowledge of the wheel they are trying to reinvent ... most, by their questions, just want us to give them a quick and easy answer - and show they haven't bothered to research the subject at all (they want to improve a product and they don't know what it is, how it works, or what it is for).

Some interact (they get answers and questions and respond) although 2-3 is about the tops ... most just post a questions and come back 2-3 times over the next week or 2 to see the replies that have been posted but never say anything else - not a "boo", not a "thank you". Case in point, The Dumpling Man - asked us for help with HIS school project, and was just on a few minutes ago ... no follow up questions, no thank you, no interaction at all.

If you want to respond ... then fine, I am sure they will appreciate it. But, don't expect an acknowledgment or thank you. If you get either - it's an exception.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom