Earth Hour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmm I will have to think about that. I go to bed around midnight and don't fall asleep until around 2 or 3AM..
My flash light won't last that long.

I read about that and it is an interesting idea. Hey Dove, got any candles around the house???

I have candles, but I don't think my laptop battery will last from 8 till 11 or so especially if we watch movies on it!

Well...I'd participate but I know DH wont. He's stuck to the TV/Playstation!!!!

Since it's just an hour, though...I wonder if we could have a fire outisde for that time.

Well I missed it cos I was on DC!! Two fluros, one energy saving and three normal globes on.

More absorbed in DC and Daylight Saving Time finishing tonight!!!! Yippeeeeee!!!! Daylight at 6:30am again!!!!!!! Happy, happy, joy, joy!!!!!

It appears Google is recognizing Earth Hour as we speak (or type...).
Their main page is blacked out.

So that would be somewhere in the middle of the Indian Ocean???? LOL It is 10:15pm WDT in Perth and we are on the Eastern edge of the Indian Ocean.

I just heard about it today! I would say it was poorly publicized, because I read the newspapers and am online every day....

maybe next year! :rolleyes:

It's tomorrow night, and it's the talk of the town here. Just wondering if anyone else is participating. 8 pm is close to my bedtime, so I won't have a problem with lights out. :LOL: Here's a link:

Earth Hour US - Earth Hour 2008

Thanks, Loprraine. Saw it on the News in So California yesterday. Even the restaurants here are gearing up with candles for the one hour. Count me in. :)

Amy, lots of restaurants here are taking advantage of it to advertise "romantic, candelit dinners" tonight. I think it's great. We'll probably light a fire, and I dug out the "Foodie Fight" trivia game I got for Christmas. (You all know how great I am at trivia.):-p We'll light some candles and use a flashlight if needed. Since Toronto is really promoting it, I'm hoping the Utility Company, at some point, will tell give us some info. The average used tonight, as compared to another Saturday night. I'd really like to see how much of a difference it makes.

Edited to add, every day this week, going to and from work, they advertised it all the time.

We are having a dozen friends/neighbours in for wine and cheese by candlelight, and cookies and coffee when the lights come on. We planned this about 2 1/2 weeks ago, before it really caught on. Really looking forward to it, and hoping it will lead to better things for our world!!!!

We are having a dozen friends/neighbours in for wine and cheese by candlelight, and cookies and coffee when the lights come on. We planned this about 2 1/2 weeks ago, before it really caught on. Really looking forward to it, and hoping it will lead to better things for our world!!!!
People like you are what we all need more of...Way to go ...You're winners.
kadesma:)

Yea I think I can handle having the lights out for an hour, though my husband wont do without, so I'll just turn off the lights in my area of the house :LOL: I have plenty of candles, and lanterns, and just think for one hour my electric bill will go down just a bit maybe?

Makes me wonder though, if everyone suddenly powers back up after one hour, would that put a surge/demand on the electric companies? :ermm:

I just found out about this when I read Loprraine's post yesterday.

I was by myself, and did turn out the lights. But next year, I'd like to build a party around this observance.

Hey, it's a start!

Lee

Oops, guess I missed the boat. My kid is sick anyway, I need my lights. And to be honest, I'm all about conserving energy where practical, but the whole global warming thing being entirely our fault...I'm not really buying it.

Back
Top Bottom