Easy Bake Oven "Kit"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GinnyPNW

Master Chef
Last night we attended a local event. It was held at the church, although not a church event. It was a hoot. Part of the entertainment was a "Mystery Dinner Theatre" show performed by amateurs, including some friends and neighbors. Who knew we had such talent!? Should have taken some pictures!

Anyway, on the tables were Christmas tree centerpieces. They were decorated with stars with an introduction to a child in need of a Secret Santa. One of the items listed the star we chose is an Easy Bake Oven "Kit". I never had one myself. It wouldn't have been allowed in our house, as Dad was one of the original Muscle Beach guys and way into eating healthy. Easy Bake isn't really about that. But, that's beside the point. So, I've looked online and the "kit" seems to be anything from the Easy Bake Oven itself, to the "refill" mixes or a set of specialty pans that are accessory items.

Does anyone have a clue on this? I did ask my very talented neighbor that played the Christmas Queen last night, via text this morning. I've not heard back yet...so I thought I would ask here.

I don't want to buy the oven, if she already has that. But buying the mix kits would be a big let down if she doesn't already have the oven? Sigh. The other items listed are more mundane things. Clothing sizes, favorite color (purple...is there another color when you are a young girl?), "anything girly".

smileys-smiley-with-sign-532185.gif

I had one, around 50 years ago [emoji38] Since it says "kit," I would assume that she already has the oven and wants ingredients and/or accessories. I could be wrong, but that's my take.

I had one, around 50 years ago [emoji38] Since it says "kit," I would assume that she already has the oven and wants ingredients and/or accessories. I could be wrong, but that's my take.

Thanks! That's kind of what I thought, but then I saw grown folks talking about how much they enjoyed their "Easy Bake Oven Kit"...and I saw it described that way on some Amazon listings too. Sigh.

She's 11 years old, and I don't want to disappoint, if you know what I mean. Sounds like she's had a bit of those disappointments lately.

Now here's a rub, Ginny.

I see that there is the original Easy Bake Oven
and
Easy Bake Ultimate Oven :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BFi1XyAiGI

As I read other articles on the WWW, I see that the Easy Bake Oven was discontinued in May of 2017.

I agree with dragn, I would check with the Church or whoever is putting together this Secret Santa event to ask not only does this little gal have an oven already, but which one. ;)

Thanks for the input, dragn & K-Girl! I did send a text to one already, she hasn't responded, but it is Sunday. If she doesn't know, I'll work my way up the ladder, so to speak. Would rather get the info, sooner rather than later, as we are asked to deliver NEXT Sunday.

Ginny, I hate to be a PIA but should she not respond by noon, bug her again. and again. until she does. (It's taken me 77 years to learn that)

Volunteer work for children should be as smooth as possible and communication is one of the foremost items in making it a success.

Ginny, I hate to be a PIA but should she not respond by noon, bug her again. and again. until she does. (It's taken me 77 years to learn that)

Volunteer work for children should be as smooth as possible and communication is one of the foremost items in making it a success.

Thanks & I've asked another one of the gals if she knows who might be the lead "elf" on the Secret Santa thing. In the meantime, I did pick up an Easy Bake Oven AND a bunch of the mix kits too. I've saved the receipt in case I need to return the oven, but there was only one of the shelf and I didn't want to lose it, if it is what she wants. I grabbed a few other things as well. On the list was a "soft blanket" request too, so I'm including a blanket that I've crocheted too. She'll be well covered...;)

Thanks & I've asked another one of the gals if she knows who might be the lead "elf" on the Secret Santa thing. In the meantime, I did pick up an Easy Bake Oven AND a bunch of the mix kits too. I've saved the receipt in case I need to return the oven, but there was only one of the shelf and I didn't want to lose it, if it is what she wants. I grabbed a few other things as well. On the list was a "soft blanket" request too, so I'm including a blanket that I've crocheted too. She'll be well covered...;)

Good on ya Ginny! I was just thinking along those same lines of grabbing what you think you may need now and be covered... can always return it.

And

AAAWWWWWWW! I think your Secret Santa give will be well received!

I use to do something like that each year until DH found out the parents were intercepting gifts and selling them for cash to use for drugs and booze. :mad:

Last edited:
Good on ya Ginny! I was just thinking along those same lines of grabbing what you think you may need now and be covered... can always return it.

And

AAAWWWWWWW! I think your Secret Santa give will be well received!

I use to do something like that each year until DH found out the parents were intercepting gifts and selling them for cash to use for drugs and booze. :mad:

Yikes! My DH suggested that we include a gift card, and I nixed the idea as I'm not sure how it might be used? That said, this gifting is coordinated thru the P.D., so I'm hopeful...and, given that it is likely that the parents made the list with things that are reasonable...still fingers & paws crossed!

Yikes! My DH suggested that we include a gift card, and I nixed the idea as I'm not sure how it might be used? That said, this gifting is coordinated thru the P.D., so I'm hopeful...and, given that it is likely that the parents made the list with things that are reasonable...still fingers & paws crossed!

Yeah, don't give gift cards for sure! I'm sort of surprised that your local PD didn't even make mention of any of this sort of thing.
We had "Shop With A Cop" back home in Hawaii and the little boogers would sell even the kids clothes at the Swap Meet for cash :furious:

Yeah, don't give gift cards for sure! I'm sort of surprised that your local PD didn't even make mention of any of this sort of thing.
We had "Shop With A Cop" back home in Hawaii and the little boogers would sell even the kids clothes at the Swap Meet for cash :furious:

Maybe they did? There was a lot going on that evening. I'm sticking to the list as shown on my "tag".

I did hear back...and the young lady already has the Oven itself. She is wanting the mix kits and accessories. I picked up a bunch of the mixes, I'll return the oven, and I ordered some pans online. Keep good thoughts that they arrived on Thursday, as promised!

This morning, we were on our way to return the Easy Bake Oven to Walmart, we got to the bottom of our hill and stopped at the stop sign. From there, the Walmart that has the Easy Bake products is to the right, so that's where we were heading. However, as we came to a stop, a lady turned onto our street, stopped and rolled her window down. She said, "Can you help me? I'm really lost!" DH asked her, "Where do you need to go?" She named the street she is looking for. It is about 5 miles from our house and there's no real easy or direct way to get there. So, in unison we said, "Follow us!" Asked her to go up the street and turn-around, as she was blocking traffic behind her. And, we went left instead of right. Lead her down the road, thru the turns, and left again...and then stopped & said, this is it. We decided to go to the other Walmart, as I didn't think they would scold us for bringing it back to a different store...and they didn't.

Lots of folks are nervous about our roads out here in the country. They go up and down and back and forth. They don't make a lot of sense and the names of the street change often, even though you haven't changed streets, if you know what I mean? I think they built the roads based on where the water goes. Or, more for where the water does not go? And then, they put in the swales (huge ditches along side the road), no sidewalks, just a big drop off, so the rain can go to ground. If you aren't familiar, it can be a little scary. But, as a friend of ours likes to say...the ditches are not a problem, just don't drive in the ditches!

So, now I think I know why we had to buy an Easy Bake Oven and then take it back to the store too. ;)

"..and the names of the street change often, even though you haven't changed streets, if you know what I mean?..."

Ginny, I know exactly what you mean! In fact, your entire description of driving from your house to Walmart sounds similar to the roads we travel around here. Most of the roads with town names seem to indicate the two towns the road connects (Dudley-Oxford road travels from Dudley to - yup, Oxford), or sometimes indicates which town you are headed towards. If you are in the center of Oxford and want to head east, you'll drive on Sutton Road because you're going to Sutton. But, from that same center of town on the same street, if you go west the road is named Charlton because if you keep driving through Oxford you will cross into Charlton. I don't know what, if any, name change occurs at the town line - I usually turn off to head home before that happens.

I guess you were destined to be someone's Christmas angel today. :angel: Good job!

Glad everything worked well, and good on you taking that lady to her destination. Been there, done that, from both ends of the stick! LOL

My town has been absorbed along with two others into a bigger city. Three of the towns had street names the same - PO/GPS/Postal Code (ZIP in the US) nightmare. So they've changed the names. Left one Fri morning from one street and returned to the same street 3 hours later, with a different name - and I was guiding someone there - so glad I didn't just leave them with directions! Who knew they would change the name that morning!

Thanks CG & dragn! Good to know we're not the only ones! When I give directions, I do tell them about the name changes. On a single road, there are 5 different names within about 5 miles driving. While it bends back and forth, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the name changes. And then there are the numbered roads...those change too! One minute you're on 164th Avenue, next you look up and you are on 162nd Avenue and then back to 164th Avenue and that road does NOT bend. Go figure?

Which reminds me of our "sign guy"...LOL. DH and I joke that the "sign guy"...the person in charge of putting out the warning signs on the roads...didn't have anything to do today, so he put signs out that do not apply to anything! Happens all over the PNW. You'll be driving and there will be a sign that the road is going to narrow and then a sign warning of an abrupt edge or loose gravel and there's none of the above! Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom