Eating out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
Did anyone watch the TV show 20-20 the other night about if your not happy with your meal not to send it back to the kitchen? That you never know what they are doing to it, before they send it back to you. YUK. JoAnn L.:mad:

I worked with a guy that ALWAYS sent his food back. I had the misfortune of dining with him often. When I could, I would discretely notify the staff of what was coming and offer my appologies up front. I wanted to make sure that my food was safe.

I delivered pizza in college and can assure you that treating staff cordially makes a difference. And, if you're a frequent customer, tipping makes a difference too. Food service is hard work, they disserve your respect.

I did not see the show, but I have heard many horror stories. There is actually a website dedicated to those types of stories right from the servers mouths. I will not post the link here as it can be a bit R rated, but if anyone is interested just PM me and I will send you the link.

I agree with vyapti, food service is hard work. I try to treat servers and anyone else with the utmost respect. I will teach my daughter the same when she is old enough to learn those lessons. Look your server in the eye when you talk. Ask, do not demand. Say please and thank you. Do not blame them for things that are not in their fault (overcooked food for example). basically treat them the way you would expect to be treated yourself.

I have worked as an assistant manager of a cafè, thus I have ample recollection of being the receiving end of various complaints. I agree that as long as the customers are paying for their food, they have the right to be served a meal that is reasonably satisfying.

However yes, especially during a busy lunch rush, some mishap or another can occur from time to time, and the source of the problem is usually not the fault of the server, to whom the customers usually bring the complaint upon. So it is important, as vyapti suggested, to maintain the civil, courteous manner with due respect and understanding for the hard work, without being nasty or whiny.

I know from my experience, if the complaint was justified and brought upon in a justifiable fashion, we were more than willing to correct the problem, but if they get unnecessarily mean and obnoxious, yes... it could get very tempting to serve them back something they deserved from our point of view...

Even if I order sushi and am brought cat food, I will not become angry or beligerent. But I may, depending on the situation at hand, question the server as to what is the norm. I try to be polite and helpful in my work, and treat others the same way.

Murphy's law #1--what goes around usually comes around. If you dish out undeserved dirt you have a very good chance of "sowing" it. Waitstaff in most restaurants have a very hard job and to make matters worse their employers pay them traditionally low wages that are "justified" because they are balanced by their "tips". (Murphy's law #2--don't believe everything you assume) Nothing makes me madder than to read about million dollar plus celebrities who pay didsquaddily for hard work on the part of their waiters/waitresses and/or are exceptionally rude. The website that I think GB is referring to will surprise you at who these obnoxious clods are.

one last word--being polite and tipping appropriately has its own rewards----we lived in a small community when our 2 children were young and the Pizza Hut was always crammed on Friday nights--we befriended our waitress and always tipped her nicely and carried on conversations-----we NEVER lacked for a table when we called in to reserve--EVER!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom