Eating Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We tend to stick to our favorite local places and I especially tend to stick to my favorite dish at each one. All are non-chain type places.

I tend to find what I like best and rarely mix it up. (strange huh!)

If I am not driving the family around and can have a few.... I love fine dining at jump at the chance to enjoy it. A limo or designated driver and a truly great meal with freinds or family is one of my greatest pleasures.
We don't buy gifts with/for my in-laws so we can partake in that pleasure at least once or twice a year with them. (No holds barred)

Sorry about that. You are right. 4 not 1. My bad. Thanks for the correction. It is not as popular as it once was. :)

It was a big treat when we went the for a special dinner many (40) years ago. It was THE special occasion restaurant in the city. Jimmy's Harborside was their closest competition and they were right down the street.

The restaurant scene has changed significantly since then. There are many excellent restaurants to choose from for those special occasions or any other time.

I like to eat at the local restos. We have okay Chinese (but they know us and treat us well), good Greek, excellent Indian, really yummy Italian, as well as a great "smoked meat" place, all not too far away. We often eat in the city with friends.

My neighborhood is changing rapidly. When I moved into the area some 20+ years ago it was gang-banger ghetto here. But over the last few years the demographics have been changing rapidly with new cafes and bistros popping up at every corner here. These are the places we've been patronizing lately. ....supporting local businesses mostly. Most of these small time chef-owned eclectic eateries all seem to have followings because they all seem very busy from day one of opening up.

Addie & Andy: Boston´s Anthony´s Pier IV

Thanks so much Addie and Andy. We had fabulous freshly caught lobsters there in the 1980s, and we were in our very early 20s.

The Moors was one of the most stunning oceanside restaurants in Provincetown. I believe one of the owners may had been Portuguese. I recall a shellfish dish from Portugal, is what I had. To die for ... I would believe the property is still in Provincetown, even if new entreprenuers had taken it over. The fireplace and the rustic ambiance was truly phenomenal.

Ciao. Have lovely wkend.
Margi.

Last edited:
Gravy Queen: Greece

Gravy Queen,

Italia has a tremendous amount of enchantment for us. However, Greece is also a profound favorite for us ...

:yum: Where to in Greece ...

I shall kick off with Corfu, located only 55km from Bari, Italia Port ... One can take in all the sights from the vantage point of any of the Tavernas on the Liston. Restaurants Aegli and Rex are wonderful spots to sample some of Corfu´s traditional specialties, which are heavily influenced by southeastern Puglia, Italian specialties.

The Corifots have introduced us to their glories of Greek cuisine while we have visited the islands of Corfu ( there are 7 islands ) for a break when we are in Puglia.

Peloponnese: The town of Nafphlion Port of Call is awesome with a stunner harbour and colorful boats, and traditional fishermen´s tabernas and quaint shops. The Odessey Bookshop contains books in English on the local history and geography. The town is packed with uncountable taverns and Tucked Away on a lovely flower filled narrow lane, is Hellas. The carte is the same for everyone and includes divine: domaldes which are stuffed grape leaves, moussaka, and roast lamb. Unforgettable.

Lunch in Lerna, which is a short drive from Nafphlion, is the House of Tiles, dating back 3.000 years and the birthplace of Constantine the Great. The third reason one comes to Lerna, is obvious, to eat ! Skewers of tender marinated lamb, Souvlaki stands filled with street food ... However, this is not just street food. This is one of the tasiest lunches you shall have in Lerna.

Santorini: If you could use only one word to describe Santorini, it would have to be breathtaking. No matter where you go on this island, you can find breathtakingly beautiful scenery and simple wonderful traditional Greek cuisine. Restaurant Tomato, Taverna Alexandria and Selene in Fira, overlooking the sea ... Need I say more ?

Have a wonderful weekend.

*** I could write a book on Greece ... however, these are just a very few of the countless restaurants I have been to in Greece.

Ciao, Have nice wkend.
Margi. Cintrano. :)

It was a big treat when we went the for a special dinner many (40) years ago. It was THE special occasion restaurant in the city. Jimmy's Harborside was their closest competition and they were right down the street.

The restaurant scene has changed significantly since then. There are many excellent restaurants to choose from for those special occasions or any other time.

Andy, did you know that at Jimmy's Harborside you could get a free whale steak if it was your birthday? I made it a point to stay off the Fish Pier on my birthday. :ohmy:

I'm too poor to eat out. I am amazed at how much $ people spending eating out. But, I do eat well at home.

When I visited some friends in California, we went to Spago's for his birthday. He and his wife picked up th tab for ten of us at the table. The bill with liquor was well over $4,000. Just whipped out that piece of plastic like it was nothing. And that was not the only night we ate out. I wait until I have a coupon for Burger King. And then only get what the coupon allows. Only happens in the warm weather when I head up the street to sit at the beach. BK is right across the street. If I don't have a coupon, I pack something to take with me.

I don't enjoy eating out. I am such a slow eater, that just when I am getting to my veggies, everyone else is outside yelling "Taxi!" :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your replies, loved reading them all.

Margi - I've been to Corfu once as a young gal with a gang of friends, everything about it was divine. I still love greek food. I also went to Cyprus which is very beautiful, great food too! (not a fan of greek wines though!).

I am mostly a creature of habit so I mainly stick to Applebee's. But recently I went to a place called Buffalo Wild Wings. I don't care for wings but they had the best nacho's I've ever had. The service was poor but I'd go back for those nacho's...

Gravy Queen: Greece, Italia & Cyprus

:yum: Buonasera GQ,

Firstly, interesting that you have mentioned Cyprus ... My younger daughter Nathalia and her husband have travelled there ( Greek side ) and absolutely are crazy about the Island of Cyprus.

I love Puglia, Italia ... it is my 2nd home ...

Greece: is a very extraordinaire mecca of divine epicurism and seaviews unsurpassed ... I was born and raised on the sea so I feel quite connected here too ...

Thanks for the note ...

I had lunched in Athens, at a Michelin star where the chef, Christoff / Christian was a disciple of Ferrán Adriá ... Stunning Meze ...

Have you been to Malta ? We were there last year for 4 days 3 nights ...

Kind regards.
Margi.

Pizza Napoletana Tradizionalmente Buona

:yum: To All My Colleagues At D.C.,

Neapolitan pizza, a long standing tradition in Napoli ... For those members who are planning a trip to Napoli, Italia, take this list with you:

DA MICHELE: Via Cesare Sersale 1 - 3
This is a modest pizzeria that has hardly changed in decades ... The super Condurro family Gents, a lawyer, an engineer and a university professor run it. www.damichele.net

BRANDI: Salita S. Anna di Palazzo 1 - 2
www.brandi.it

PORT´ ALBA: Native Neapolitians like to come by here early in the morning to order their minatures for lunch.

BELLINI: There is a selection of 40 assorted pizzas from which to choose.
www.ilbellini.it

TRIANON DA CIRO: This bustling 3 floor trattoria seats 450 people. The largest pizza created here is 60 centimetres.

These are five pizzerias in Naples, you do not wish to miss.

Have nice wkend.
Ciao,
Margaux. :chef:

Greek Islands: Anafi & Paxti

Buonasera,

Has anybody over to the Greek Islands ? Which islands ?

Anafi and Paxti, are two islands possessing deserted beaches, gorgeous picturesque harbor ports, ancient cobblestone lanes for exploring and fabulous taverns for sipping and tasting meze prepared with local freshly caught fish and vegetables & herbs ...

ANAFI: Liotrvi Tavern - Hotel Apollon Village on Klissidi Beach

PAXTI: The Olive - Hotel Paxtos Beach

Have a lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margi. :yum:

Montana's and East Side Marios are up there on my list! I also like Red Lobster.

But nothing beats chinese take-out, or a local donair shop.

Back
Top Bottom