Economizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We use one of our bedrooms as an office and turned the closet into a pantry. We only buy things when they are on sale. Now when I need something, instead of going to the store, I just go to the office! :ROFLMAO:

do you have any clue what it cost to achieve that much food? how many people are you cooking for?

babe

i keep coupon-collecting. i saved $22 on groceries today. they were $1.58!! from carpet-cleaner to bordeaux cookies to 2 boxes of hungry jack taters to spices & more...

It must be a lot! It cost me over $600 to fill the pantry and the bedroom closet, and they are small closets! When I re-stock it's still about $300. I guess if you buy a little extra of something each time you shop, you could eventually fill an office without spending a ton all at once.

do you have any clue what it cost to achieve that much food? how many people are you cooking for?

babe

It's just me and my husband at home but I have 2 kids with SO's and 2 grandkids that love to come over and eat. I always check the dates on everything I buy and most things don't expire for at least 2 years. I keep everything rotated and when anything gets anywhere close to expiring (which doesn't happen often) we have it on a regular basis until it's gone.

As far as the cost. Yes there is some money invested but most everything was on sale when I stocked up. For example, I buy cases (8)of chicken and beef broth around the holidays because it's 3 for $1 and then I won't buy it again until next year when it goes on sale again. It normally runs about 75 cents a can so I end up spending $64 for the 8 cases of broth but if I didn't buy it on sale it would cost $144. The vegetable I usually buy 2 for $1 and sometimes I get lucky and can get them 3 for $1.

I just bought canned tomato products the other day 2 for 88 cents. Stocked up on those again also.

It must be a lot! It cost me over $600 to fill the pantry and the bedroom closet, and they are small closets! When I re-stock it's still about $300. I guess if you buy a little extra of something each time you shop, you could eventually fill an office without spending a ton all at once.

It's just the closet in the office. It's a large closet granted but still just a closet.

:) I've started to stock up and get every thing on sale like canned vegetables @ 5 for $ 2.00. I check all the expiration dates on any non perishable foods I buy the canned and jarred stuff has a 2010- 2011 exp and will last longer than that. It's a slow process but I'm getting a decent build up I plan on continuing stocking up. I like getting baked beans and pork and beans on sale. At this point it is only staples that also include tea/coffee, salt, spices and dried herbs, dry beans, sugar, flour some jarred yeast and so on. I keep the sugar, flour, beans, dried milk etc in a giant air tight marine cooler in the garage along with the canned suff on shelves The garage stays pretty cool in the summer. Not sure what to do this winter because if it froze I dont know what it would do to the canned stuff but the garage is new and well insulated.

Forgot to mention, I've been baking bread lately. DH likes cinnamon-raisin bread for breakfast, so I make that in the bread machine. I've also made NYT artisan bread, pizza dough and focaccia. I'll never get to where Katie E is, making all my own bread, rolls, etc., but I can make these breads for, what, 50 cents a loaf, as opposed to several dollars in the grocery store or bakery?
How about sharing your cinnamon raisin recipe?

Back
Top Bottom