Engagement ring alternatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
jake & i cannot really afford an engagement ring or wedding bands, & we've been engaged for awhile. i want a ring. after 8 years, i expect a ring.
i also understand, though, that i put him through the wringer with his money... i insist that we live admist the richest area in our city, ask fer stuff like mandolines & expensive dinners out way too often,
so i figured a tatooed engagement ring would be great fer us.
i'm not really a fan of engagement rings.
whatta you say...
tacky or cute?

I think that choice is all in the eye of the beholder. I personally say do what you want and don't worry what other people think. This is all coming from a person that did not opt for an engagement ring and spent less than $200 on wedding bands. Jewelry is just not that important to me. If you wanna tattoo for a ring... go for it!

I wouldn't tatoo a ring on...you'll probably regret it later on. If I were you, figure out ways to save money instead of spoiling yourself so you can save for a ring.

i don't know luvs, i thought it sounded like a clever idea.

I know when I got married, I did not give a twit about rings, boy, have I changed my mind on that one.....diamonds? Bring them on....:ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't tatoo a ring on...you'll probably regret it later on. quote]

i'm already tattooed. & i'm Catholic, so is he, so divorce isn't a realistic option.
there's laser removal, too, if my other tatoo gets too young fer my old self.

My wife told me she did not care about a ring and she really truly meant it. Once she had it on her finger though that all changed. The great thing about a ring is that it can be passed down to children or family members. You can't do that with a tattoo. When you are older and your hands are wrinkly do you really want a wrinkly black mark on your finger?

Like has been said, it is your decision so you need to do what you want and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

excellent point, geebs, if only our budget allowed, i'd get a very simple ring to give to my daughter. i wouldn't really wear it, though.
i figure my decision suits what i want, though i like other opinions cause i care what others hafta say.

By the time it is old and wrinkly you could cover it up with a ring ;)

I like to think I'm an innovative traditionalist :huh:
A tattoo as as ring sounds cool, but then, is it really an "engagement ring"? No, it's a tatto of a ring. IMO

In this day and age, tattoos often last a lot longer the relationships, but I don't want to seem negative about it.

It is ultimately up to you. But, even death won't do you and a tattoo apart, lol.

excellent point, geebs, if only our budget allowed, i'd get a very simple ring to give to my daughter.
You can get a very simple ring for less than the cost of the tattoo. It does not have to be a diamond ring after all. It could be a cz ring or a colored piece of glass or no stone at all.

Budget really isn't an issue if you are talking about a very simple gold band, or even white gold. It's less than a week of going out to eat.

In the end it's your life, your wedding, and your finger. Do what means the most to the both of you. Just don't use the excuse of budget because the budget is there if you are spending that much money on the other stuff. ;)

luvs, your church will insist on a wedding band, but the engagement ring is up to you.

imo, make poor jake take out a loan to buy you a ring. he might as well start getting used to the non-religious sacrifices as well. :cool:

just remember, when you go through pre-cana course and they ask you about pre-marital nookie, just ask them if they try a pair of shoes on before buying them...

You can get a very simple ring for less than the cost of the tattoo. It does not have to be a diamond ring after all. It could be a cz ring or a colored piece of glass or no stone at all.

i totally agree, tats are expensive. personally i would want a real ring, modest though it may be.

babe:)

my husband is in the military and has to take his ring off alot because otherwise he'd break the band with the physical work that he does...he has a tatoo around his ring finger so that he doesn't have to feel bad about taking it off....I think it's all about how you look at it. You can get a set of wedding bands at Wal Mart for cheap...or try a pawn shop. My aunt works at one and she has sold our family members some nice, inexpensive jewelry....all that matters is your love and committment to each other, and who cares if the diamond is big or small or if there is even a diamond.....the marriage part lasts much longer than the engagement part....

I had a dear friend who used to say "if it feels good, it's supposed to, and if it doesn't then you're not doing it right." He felt that way about everything in life. If the tattoo makes you happy, go for it. however, I know several couples who couldn't afford a traditional engagement diamond who went for a Claddagh ring instead. simple, beautiful heart-in-hands motif.. and I'll bet that costs less than a tattoo! :dry:

my husband is in the military and has to take his ring off alot because otherwise he'd break the band with the physical work that he does...he has a tatoo around his ring finger so that he doesn't have to feel bad about taking it off....I think it's all about how you look at it. You can get a set of wedding bands at Wal Mart for cheap...or try a pawn shop. My aunt works at one and she has sold our family members some nice, inexpensive jewelry....all that matters is your love and committment to each other, and who cares if the diamond is big or small or if there is even a diamond.....the marriage part lasts much longer than the engagement part....

My sentiments exactly! The ring does not make the relationship or marriage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom