English lesson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
English must be a hard language to learn!

The bandage was wound around the wound.

The farm was used to produce produce.

The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse

We must polish the Polish furniture.

He could lead if he would get the lead out.

The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

I did not object to the object.

The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

They were too close to the door to close it.

The buck does funny things when the does are present.

A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

After a number of injections my jaw got number.

Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

It is not an easy language at all. Most people in America speak sub-standard English, and write it just as badly. However, that is true with many nations and their own languages too. Don't forget to remember that you drive on the parkway, and park in your driveway.

But on the other hand, you have five fingers. However, doves fly not dive, and dived is the past tense not dove (regarless of what you hear on sports news. Still, if the shoe fits, am I Cinderella?

Very funny, we're always told that english is the easiest language to learn... Some of these were hard for me to read, I never know how to pronounce all the synonyms.

I believe that English is probably one of the hardest languages to learn, for the above reasons, plus the regional accents (upper class British, regional British, Southern US, New England, upper Midwest, Australia, New Zealand -- all sound very different).

I think English would be hard to learn.
For example Bear and Bare
They're, There, and Their
Here and Hear
Hair and Hare
Read and Read

Let me tell you folks, all the examples above as hard as they are are only half of the problem. English is indeed very hard language to learn, and this is my 3rd foreign language I am learning, so I am almost an expert in learning new languages.

hmm.. I must admit, I think it's rather easy.... french is much much worse.. and I think even german is a catastrophy... I'm glad i grew up with it ;o)

We do have a lot of homonyms in french, for example c'est (it is), ses (his/hers), sait (knows) are all pronounced the same. Same thing for croix (cross), croit (believes), croît (grows) and so on.

Back
Top Bottom