Ethical consumerism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only that approaching the world food shortage from the standpoint of cutting back on US consumption of food does not address the real problem. Since 1999, world populatiion has increased around 700 million to 6.7 billion, projected by many to reach 9 B by 2050. Food production cannot keep up. Unfortunately, for every Mother Teresa, who truly wants to help people, there are 10 others who are exploiting the situation for their own benefit, political, economic or power. A senate committee has just passed a Global Poverty Bill to the tune of 900 billion. Little of this money will end up in the hands of the starving, but will be used to further control poor populations. The most recent example is Miramar, where the corrupt government refuses aid.
My last political rant in this forum. Sorry.

Keeping politics out of the discussion, I was curious about your comment as it seemed to be sort of contradictory. 'either too many people or too little food... ' isn't that the same thing?

Also, check you statistics. I think there is an error in your world population growth numbers. The world population could not possibly have grown from less than a billion to 6.7 billion in 9 years.

Sorry, the world population was slightly under 6 billion. I think I said that the population increased by 700 million. Population and food production (and consumption), to me, while related to the hunger problem, are not the same thing. One is supply, the other demand

Back on topic. Is it just me, or have others noticed that while lower priced cuts of meat, most notably chicken, bacon, and sausage and hamburger have increased in price noticably, mid range beef, particularly steaks, have gone down, even during the summer barbecue season? I know that I have been favoring lower priced meats. Higher priced meats, like lamb, filet, and prime seafood, don't seem to have changed much.

Not here, Bigjim. We have been having regular sales on less expensive meats. I just bought whole chickens for $0.79/Lb. and boneless skinless breasts for $1.99/Lb. I don't know how those prices compare to other parts of the country but are sale prices for me. Those have been our sale pries for sometime. Also, boneless chuck roasts have a sale price of $1.99 /Lb.

At the other end of the scale, I bought a whole tenderloin for $8.69/Lb. This and the chuck roasts are choice grade.

Here the going rate for whole chickens is around $1.29/pd, up from around .69. I bought chicken on sale a couple of weeks ago for .79. Bacon has gone from around $2.00 to 3.00 +. Sausage similar. I don' remember boneless ribeye prices from a year ago, but they are now around 6.50 to 7.50 for choice. Eggs here are now over $2.50 at the supermarket for jumbo's. I do a fair amount of shopping at COSTCO, and their prices don't seem to have changed much, except for steak, which has gone down.

I've been hearing of 'world hunger' since I was a kid, about 40 years now.

I figured in the last four decades, between attrition and birth control, world hunger would have been handled by now.

Alas, it seems that by feeding the starving masses they procreate thus creating more starving masses .... Not to say I'm unsympathetic but it's not rational to try and fix a problem which sets up more of the same problem .... what can be done to stop this circle?

A question I've always had, and this by no means applies to only third world countries, is why do you continue making babies if you can't take care of them.

Rationing has been mentioned, God help you if you even try getting between people and what they want. People work hard for their money and By God that gives them the right to whatever they want, no matter how socially irresponsible what they want may be.

Ethical consumerism, good luck with that. Long as there are those who insist on living ibn dwellings thousands of feet larger than they need, or vehicles thousands of pounds heavier than they can use, and those who must have the latest and greatest in anything, and who rate style greater than substance, society and ethics will be at a disadvantage.

What he said. I am not sure that there is any way to fix the problem. I am pretty sure that my cutting back on what I eat, or the government spending a trillion dollars of yours and my money, is not going to prevent a single person from starving. I guess it does make us feel better.

Last edited:
...I figured in the last four decades, between attrition and birth control, world hunger would have been handled by now.

The vast majority of the world's population does not practice birth control. "Attrition" only works if people stop making babies. The world has been experiencing positive population growth since the start of the human race.

Alas, it seems that by feeding the starving masses they procreate thus creating more starving masses .... Not to say I'm unsympathetic but it's not rational to try and fix a problem which sets up more of the same problem .... what can be done to stop this circle?

Sounds like you are proposing that we let people starve so they can't procreate. A novel approach to population control. Though cheaper than feeding and educating people so they can improve their situations, that's probably not going to be the way civilized people approach the problem.

A question I've always had, and this by no means applies to only third world countries, is why do you continue making babies if you can't take care of them.

Some people actually enjoy the procreation process.

"The vast majority of the worlds population does not practice birth control". Shouldn't that be where we should spend our money where it could do the most good?

"Sounds like you are proposing that we let people starve" No one wants to see people starve. However, that is the inevitable result of food demand outstripping supply.

"Some people actually enjoy the procreation process" Count me in. I enjoy the process, but do not like the result, and I know how to prevent that. See comment 1.

Whenever I hear somebody propose birth control, I always want to ask that person if that is what his/her parents should have been using.

"The vast majority of the worlds population does not practice birth control". Shouldn't that be where we should spend our money where it could do the most good?

That is beginning to happen in some poorer countries but meets with cultural biases. In the meantime, people cannot be allowed to starve.

"Sounds like you are proposing that we let people starve" No one wants to see people starve. However, that is the inevitable result of food demand outstripping supply.

Inadequate food is not the issue as much as unequal distribution.

"Some people actually enjoy the procreation process" Count me in. I enjoy the process, but do not like the result, and I know how to prevent that. See comment 1.

See my response #1

My parents did practice birth control - as soon as they got to the number of children they could afford. So did I. Seems to be the point.

I think that me and thee are getting way too far afield for a cooking forum, so I have two last questions on this matter. What are you having for dinner? and Who's cooking?

Sounds good. If you ever see it in your area, try Dales marinade. Supposedly a recipe from an Atlanta restaurant that burned down. Soy based, and is really good on pork tenders.

I have a cooking partner that I am training to take over my business in a few months when I retire. The tradeoff is she is teaching me cooking. I consider myself an above average cook, her an above average chef So, every other day I get a meal that rivals anything put out in a quality restaurant. She is Cambodian and survived Pol Pot by cooking for the camp commander. Lost most of her family including a husband and 2 kids 2 yrs and 11 months. The kids to starvation in her arms. Any time I think I am under pressure, I just imagine your life depending on the quality of your last meal preparation.

If only the answers were as simple as the question.

Refugee populations trying to escape from corrupt governments, tribal conflicts, religious persecutions ... they can't farm and raise crops while living in refugee camps where they have to depend on trucked in water and food. Just one source of a decline in global food production.

And, then there are natural disasters - like droughts, floods and typhoons. They wipe out crops - and delay replanting.

Money from developed countries does little to help if there is no excess food to buy.

And, there are cultural differences ... what one culture eats - and what may be a surplus in another. I remember hearing that a religious group in a country was telling people that the peanut butter being dropped by the US to help relieve the food shortage was made from "pork" - which was a no-no in their culture - the devout would rater die of starvation, and see their children die of starvation, than defile their bodies.

We can refuse to eat endangered species ... and refuse to eat at restaurants that include them on the menu - like Chilean Sea Bass ... but it does little good if you don't tell the owner why you are not going to eat there before you get up and walk out.

Globally - rice production is down due to natural disasters. The late spring and heavy rains in our "corn belt" region is going to cause a shortage in corn production in the US this year - depending on the rains in July and August - if could be even worse.

Several countries have programs that send people into 3rd world countries to help them increase their agricultural production. But, it doesn't do much good if they are being chased off the land.

And, there is the Catch-22 of the Amazonian tropical rain forests being cut down to clear land for farming - to grow food.

So, seans - you started this thread. What are you doing and what is your answer????

I think we should increase our consumption of beef so that the demand exceeds supply ... that way there are less cows in the field producing methane gas via bovine flatulence .... this will decrease the imapct on the ozone layer ... :LOL:

FWIW - global warming began the day following the end of the last ice age - just like in the previous cycles.

Last edited:
That bit about pork in peanut butter sandwiches reminds me of something mentioned in an episode of Penn & Teller "BS". A donation of tons of genetically engineered corn from the U.S. and directed to a number of African nations was refused by Zambia (there may have been others, I don't recall) because environmental activists had convinced the ruling parties that GE foods are poison.

If only the answers were as simple as the question.

We can refuse to eat endangered species ... and refuse to eat at restaurants that include them on the menu - like Chilean Sea Bass ... but

FWIW - global warming began the day following the end of the last ice age - just like in the previous cycles.

A while ago I said Chilean Sea Bass was a food I wanted to try. It was overfished years ago because of its popularity. I do not think it is now on the endangered species list. Not on subject - just clarifying a point.

For reference

Whole Foods Market : Products : Seafood : Chilean Sea Bass

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom