Ethical consumerism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seans_potato_business

Senior Cook
I'm just wondering if anyone else here is abstaining from, or at least reducing their consumption of things that have a significant impact on the climate, and perhaps more immediately pressing, the global food shortage? Has anyone thought about it?

this is a concern of mine, but I approach it from a different angle. I try to raise as much of the food we eat as possible. That way no fossil fuels are used in the transporting of the foods to market and then my table. We are raising more garlic and potatoes this year than we have in the past.

Things like what?

Well apart from reducing usage of oil (oil is used to make agrochemicals to grow food and also to power food processing systems and is linked to biofuels which take farm-land away from use in food-production), you can also reduce meat consumption. The way that works is, it takes about five-six times as much grain to feed a person meat because the energy has to go through another animal first and of course the animal wastes a great deal though the inefficient digestion process and losses in heat and movement. Thus, people driving to a restaurant to dig into their stake reduces grain production and increases demand at the same time.

People don't realise that in the Western world, only about 10% of income is spent on food whereas in the less developed world, that figure is 70-80%.

Part of the reason we're facing this problem now, is that the growing wealth in China is enabling a 'Westernization' of their diet. They're eating more meat than they used to.

You can if you like, read all about it on various news websites. Thanks for expressing an interest!

seans potato business said:
People don't realise that in the Western world, only about 10% of income is spent on food whereas in the less developed world, that figure is 70-80%.

Sean...Do you have any numbers on how much food and aid (dollars or percentage) the Western World providess to the less developed world??

Alas, I have none (and my short-lived search was fruitless), but according to this site: Global food supply is a growing problem - Telegraph the director-general of the United Nation's Food and Agriculture Organisation says that $30bn per year is needed to "relaunch" agriculture in the developing world. That's something for the big boys to organise. This issue I wanted to raise, was what we as average Joe's could do to affect food prices.

I don't know the situation in the US but even in the UK, Netto and ALDI have apparently been rationing rice! I find the lack of alarm among some to be alarming!

There is no outcry over rice rationing in the US because it's not a hugely popular item. Rationing beef would cause riots.

Well apart from reducing usage of oil (oil is used to make agrochemicals to grow food and also to power food processing systems and is linked to biofuels which take farm-land away from use in food-production), you can also reduce meat consumption. The way that works is, it takes about five-six times as much grain to feed a person meat because the energy has to go through another animal first and of course the animal wastes a great deal though the inefficient digestion process and losses in heat and movement. Thus, people driving to a restaurant to dig into their stake reduces grain production and increases demand at the same time.

Part of the reason we're facing this problem now, is that the growing wealth in China is enabling a 'Westernization' of their diet. They're eating more meat than they used to.

You can if you like, read all about it on various news websites. Thanks for expressing an interest!

Are you proposing vegetarianism as a way to reduce our carbon footprints?

If the Chinese are actually consuming more meat in a attempt to Westernize, that is an increase in demand and creates competition and the financial incentive to produce more. It also tends to drive up prices. It's part of a free market system. I'm sure the Chinese have figured out it's cheaper for them to raise their own meats and other foods.

There is no outcry over rice rationing in the US because it's not a hugely popular item. Rationing beef would cause riots.

You think that would cause riots, imagine if rationing coffee happened. There would be a lot of tired, grumpy people trying to kill each other!
Purrs,
Joyce

WHERE'S THE BEEF? WHERE'S THE BEEF? WHERE'S THE BEEF?

Sorry, just getting my rioting chant ready.

Frankly, I think Americans, Europeans, and Japanese could do more good for poor and starving people in other parts of the world by eliminating or severely reducing agricultural subsidies and trade protectionism, but that borders on political, so I'll just leave it at that.

just wanted to mention that it is possible to raise and eat meat that was not fed grain. Hunting yields wild venison, turkeys, etc. that used very little or no grain to raise. I raise a portion of the meat we eat and feed no grain to the animals.. Granted they are milk fed and the milkers are fed grain, the actual meat animal receives no appreciable grain...just a touch to expediate hoof trimming.

i don't eat a lot of red meat. but then chickens are fed grain, aren't they.

don't know about fish, does anyone know what they are fed in fish farms.

wish i knew a real immediate action that would reduce the price of food. it is harder and harder to eat a balanced diet, with even vegs sky-high in price..

if i had the space , would grow a lot of vegs.

babe:mad:

Bunker of Bourbon!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaaa!!!!

For real !!!!!!!!!!! 68 bottles in the bunker of various and sundry spirits..mostly bourbon...Wait, I just remembered a bottle of "Goose" in the freezer...so 69 !!!!

PS...Not because of corn prices...I just buy, try and collect.

Holy cow! Bourbon? Isn't that the acid-stuff they put in batteries?
Purrs!

Indeed!! Now you know how the Energizer Bunny keeps going, and going, and going....:cool:

Don't tell anyone...the little drum he carries...it's full of 100 proof bourbon!! He Heeeee!

I gotta agree with those who believe that is this is a political problem, not a food problem. Seems to me that the problem is too many people, not too little food. I do not pay too much attention to a guy flying around in a G 5, flying in food from around the world for a celebration dinner, and telling me that I must cut back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom