Ever been on a cruise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
i just got back from my second ever, a trip to alaska and the glaciers. food and service was pretty good from princess, got to try some stuff that ive never had before. lobster was on the menu for the last night but i was also able to try duck a la orange, dessert souffles, truffles, gumbo, beef wellington, vegatable turines, lamb shank, smoked salmon locks, venison and some other stuff i can't recall. had to pass on the escargo though. the best dinner rolls i ever had were on te table every night along with all the pizza, burgers, sandwiches and pastries i could handle 24/7.

the only thing keeping me from booking another right now is the pay of the service people. i youtubed some stuff when i got home and it is sickening the pay these people get not to mention the 12 hour days they work, we tipped the dinner service and room service people nicely, was well worth it.

Last edited:
That's the whole reason that cruises are so cheap. If they had to pay at least minimum wage to everyone on that ship, the fares would be in the thousands per person. The whole reason that we cruise is that it can be done relatively inexpensively. We don't buy a lot of alcohol, and we don't do many excursions, usually just a cab in port.

Not every cruise is inexpensive, especially Alaska ones, but if you compare what you get for the money it would be nearly impossible to get that kind of vacation for that price on land.

The auto gratuity that is added to your onboard account is part of their pay (also auto gratuity on bar tabs). We also tip above that for spectacular service. They are paid a very small monthly pay, they are provided a cabin (often shared) and food. The auto gratuity makes up the rest of their pay. Most cruise lines treat their staff pretty well nowadays, there is a lot of competition for seasoned crew.

These crew members can make a lot of money if they are good, yes the hours are long, but they are used to working hard and the money that they make is far more than many of them can make at home. We've spoken to many crew members that really like their job, and sign contract after contract. Nobody is forcing them to sign additional contracts.

I've been on 12 cruises and talked to a lot of crew. It's a great job for those with the right personality.

My sibs and I took Mom on a Caribbean cruise (Norwegian) years ago. She loved it. The bar bill was a rude awakening at the end :LOL:

I agree with Bakechef, the workers make more than they would in their home countries. We prefer to stay on an island we've fallen in love with, that is also a major cruise ship stop (Cozumel) and the island takes very good care of cruise ship staff, having a number of restaurants catering to them. A couple who are good friends and restaurant owners there actually met while working on a cruise ship together.

I would love to do a Mediterranean cruise sometime, BIL and his ex went several times, and loved it. Alaska would be nice too, but we're snorkeling fools, and that might be a bit chilly!

I guess I'd be leary of a Carnival cruise after all their troubles.

I'm leery of taking a cruise. Titanic and Poseidon Adventure notwithstanding, I have terrible motion sickness. I'd hate to pay for a cruise and spend the trip in bed trying to keep my stomach inside my body:sick:. We still talk about every so often though. Maybe in a few years for our 35th anniversary.

I'm very fortunate to have been on thirteen cruises in the last six years, on both the oceans and rivers throughout the world. Ocean and river cruises are quite different from one another but both are really a remarkable way to see the world. The people who crew these ships make up a huge part of what makes cruising so enjoyable with their classic good humor and efficiency. They make it obvious every day how much they appreciate their jobs and I can honestly say I've never encountered one of them who has even been in a "bad mood". As was mentioned, their token wages and long hours are subsidized by mandatory gratuities from the passengers at the end of the cruise but there are many of us who have favorites and gladly give them more than suggested by the guidelines. The vast majority of them send everything they make to their family back home, as their room & board are provided on the ship and they are living much better than their families are. They certainly deserve respect

I'm very fortunate to have been on thirteen cruises in the last six years, on both the oceans and rivers throughout the world. Ocean and river cruises are quite different from one another but both are really a remarkable way to see the world. The people who crew these ships make up a huge part of what makes cruising so enjoyable with their classic good humor and efficiency. They make it obvious every day how much they appreciate their jobs and I can honestly say I've never encountered one of them who has even been in a "bad mood". As was mentioned, their token wages and long hours are subsidized by mandatory gratuities from the passengers at the end of the cruise but there are many of us who have favorites and gladly give them more than suggested by the guidelines. The vast majority of them send everything they make to their family back home, as their room & board are provided on the ship and they are living much better than their families are. They certainly deserve respect

Couldn't have said it better! The crew are often the highlight of our cruises. Our cabin stewards on this last cruise were out of this world fantastic and personable, we talked to them every day, probably the best that I've encountered on 12 cruises.

DH and I went on a cruise several years ago, to the Bahamas, another island in the Caribbean, and Key West. My mom and her husband were in KW at the time, so we had lunch with them :) We loved it. We're planning to go on another one this fall or winter. I'd love to do a Mediterranean cruise, too. My dad and his ex did a river cruise on the Rhine through France and Germany and loved that, too. I can imagine the scenery was wonderful.

I'm leery of taking a cruise. Titanic and Poseidon Adventure notwithstanding, I have terrible motion sickness. I'd hate to pay for a cruise and spend the trip in bed trying to keep my stomach inside my body:sick:. We still talk about every so often though. Maybe in a few years for our 35th anniversary.

Jabbur it sounds like you're a perfect candidate for a river cruise as there's obviously no issue with sea sickness. We have been on some remarkable river cruises through Europe and this summer we'll be doing another one in Russia from Moscow to St. Petersburg.

As far as sea cruises are considered, I used to get terribly sea sick before I discovered that taking meclazine every morning, even the worst of seas don't affect me anymore. It works like a charm without any side effects for me at all.

My sibs and I took Mom on a Caribbean cruise (Norwegian) years ago. She loved it. The bar bill was a rude awakening at the end :LOL:

I agree with Bakechef, the workers make more than they would in their home countries. We prefer to stay on an island we've fallen in love with, that is also a major cruise ship stop (Cozumel) and the island takes very good care of cruise ship staff, having a number of restaurants catering to them. A couple who are good friends and restaurant owners there actually met while working on a cruise ship together.

I would love to do a Mediterranean cruise sometime, BIL and his ex went several times, and loved it. Alaska would be nice too, but we're snorkeling fools, and that might be a bit chilly!

I guess I'd be leary of a Carnival cruise after all their troubles.

And again, they had a fire on one of their ships at two in the morning last night. Another ship from another company was on standby in case there was to be an evacuation. They had the fire out by 5 a.m. Thank you Carnival, but I think I will stay right here at the bus stop and continue to wait for my boat to come in. :angel:

And again, they had a fire on one of their ships at two in the morning last night. Another ship from another company was on standby in case there was to be an evacuation. They had the fire out by 5 a.m. Thank you Carnival, but I think I will stay right here at the bus stop and continue to wait for my boat to come in. :angel:

Addie, for once, this one wasn't Carnival. It was Royal Caribbean this time and a Carnival ship was standing by if needed. Carnival had a horrible reputation even before the string of recent disasters and I wouldn't travel with Carnival if it was free.

It was July 4th. The Enterprise Aircraft Carrier was in port in Boston. They were going to bring out the U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides) and turn her around as they do every July 4th. So the whole fam damily goes out into the middle of Boston Harbor on my BIL's boat so we can watch the ceremony. Now when OI leaves her berth, any boats in the harbor cannot have their engines running and must stay where they are until OI is back in her berth. On the way out to where we were going to drop anchor, I was fine. But once the boat stopped moving, the water was a bit rough from all the boats around us moving. I got seasick. And I mean REALLY seasick. I remember hearing the guns from OI giving a salute to the Enterprise and the return salute. I was laying on the deck and didn't see a thing. I do not remember being airlifted by the CG off the boat nor three of the four days I spent in the ICU. I had a severe second degree sunburn and was severely dehydrated and had sun stroke.

You can not even get me to stand on a dock today. I can't even watch the bow of a boat cutting through the water on TV. I immediately get dizzy and have to heave. I have to take meclizine twice a day today. It is the only way I can keep my balance and not spend the day hurling. Otherwise, I would love to go on a cruise. I love the ocean. :angel:

Addie, for once, this one wasn't Carnival. It was Royal Caribbean this time and a Carnival ship was standing by if needed. Carnival had a horrible reputation even before the string of recent disasters and I wouldn't travel with Carnival if it was free.

I'm with you, Kayelle. It's been said that it's cheaper to go on a Carnival cruise than it is to stay at a Motel 6 or Super 8.

I have thought about taking a cruise but, it is not easy to find one that will make allowances for a single person traveling alone. In most cases you are required to pay for two full fairs and although I understand it, I still think it is unfair.

If I do go believe me I will carry a buffet bag in order to get my money's worth! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm with you, Kayelle. It's been said that it's cheaper to go on a Carnival cruise than it is to stay at a Motel 6 or Super 8.

Yup, a classic case where you get what you pay for. I've known people who got sucked into the prices but floating beer bottles in the pool and vomit in the public restrooms because of the party animals isn't my idea of a good time. :wacko: I feel really sorry for the crews on Carnival.:ermm:

I've never been anything but happy on Princess, and they have a pretty good bang for the buck.

I have thought about taking a cruise but, it is not easy to find one that will make allowances for a single person traveling alone. In most cases you are required to pay for two full fairs and although I understand it, I still think it is unfair.

If I do go believe me I will carry a buffet bag in order to get my money's worth! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I recall reading about some free service that will pair up single cruisers with another (same-sex) with similar interests, so they can share the fares. Sounded like a good idea.

I think a cruise is really something everyone should experience at least once!

Last edited:
FYI

Carnival Corporation operates as a cruise and vacation company worldwide. The company operates in two segments, North America; and Europe, Australia, and Asia. It provides cruises to various vacation destinations with a fleet of 100 cruise ships under the brand names of Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, and Seabourn in North America; and AIDA Cruises, Costa, Cunard, Ibero Cruises, and P&O Cruises in Europe, Australia, and Asia.

A cruise has never sounded like fun to me. Day trip on a tour bus, fine...but I want to get out and climb on the scenery. Shrek and I want to do the bus trip through Glacier so we can both see the scenery. Not enough scenery on a ship.

Oh great. You go from one disaster ship to another for rescue. I think I will stay on dry land. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom