Ever found yourself disliking a food that is loved by most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Hola my DC family! Missed you all :)

For some reason I just can't stand Carrots, they taste bitter to me and I don't know why. I still eat them since I can't tell my kids to eat what I don't lol!
I don't touch Chicken either, don't even like the smell and I used to like it before I had my children. I still eat the livers but for some reason being pregnant put me off. Started eating chicken 2 yrs after my sons birth again but since a recent miscarriage 2 month ago I battle cooking it for my family without gagging lol!
Anyone else have a similar dislike or started disliking a food they loved before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you're back Snip and sorry about the miscarriage. While it's not food, since menopause I have trouble with toothpaste. Only Crest will not make me gag all the time. In general, it seems that foods I used to dislike, I now can tolerate except for liver. I applaud you for choking down those carrots in front of your kids!

Glad you're back Snip and sorry about the miscarriage. While it's not food, since menopause I have trouble with toothpaste. Only Crest will not make me gag all the time. In general, it seems that foods I used to dislike, I now can tolerate except for liver. I applaud you for choking down those carrots in front of your kids!

Thanks, just wasn't meant to be. I'm fine about it, didn't know I was pregnant so I never really felt it was real.

Thank you for the reply, maybe the Chicken thing is hormonal. Menopause and pregnancy both change your hormone levels but it doesn't explain why I haven't eaten it since.

Not sure about the carrots either, I've heard that some people find certain veggies bitter because of some or other scientific reason but I can't find info on it.

Caviar for me. I know it's expensive and luxurious, and I've had several occasions where I've tried it. I even once had an opportunity to try Beluga, which is supposedly the very best.

I just don't like it. It has a weird texture and tastes salty and fishy.

Other than that, I really like almost every food, with few exceptions.

Bananas. Pears. Pumpkin. Rhubarb. I'll eat bananas in banana bread (if I don't have to smell them first). Pears in pear crisp. Pumpkin...well, I can't say when I eat pumpkin...I don't bring any pumpkins home from the garden. Rhubarb. I did a rhubarb theme night...I'd eat the curry again and the rhubarb ice cream. But otherwise, it is not high on my list. And I do NOT eat smoked Eel or majatas (sp). I've gagged it down to be polite, but do not like.

I agree with Steve on the caviar, I would much rather have a PB&J!

Snip, try a dash of grated nutmeg on your carrots.

I guess for me it is not really a dislike but, I really do not care about steak.

I would rather have a roast of beef than a steak.

Snip I'm one of those when it comes to smells. Chicken the smell gets me right now so when I open the package I have warm water running and lemon juice at hand. I rinse, the rub that baby with lemon. plus I have another half to hold under my nose if need be. I'm sure there are other things vinegar maybe what will help you. I''ve found once it gets cooking I can handle the chicken but I do wear rubber gloves that I can dispose of when I handle chicken or my hands become off limits even to me.:LOL: I'm sorry about the loss of the baby, It hurts, I know, I lost one years ago so you have my best wishes foe the future. I dislike carrots too. I do find I like home grown the small short ones are great. But store bought are yukky unless they have the greens left on them. But in case DH comes home with that kind from storage, I cook them with butte, brown sugar and some lemon juice. As a small child I adored med rare steak. NOW I can barley choke it down. I too would rather have some nice roast bef and gravy. Don't give up snip I'd bet the smell thing will eventually go away. I fix and use to love Pesto for my family but basil got really a bad thing for me. I'm ok with it now but there for awhile it was no thank you for me.
kades

Cooked salmon, pumpkin and other hard squash, freshwater fish (but I haven't met a saltwater fish I didn't like), most beans that have been dried (black beans are okay and garbanzo beans are great), lima beans (but fava beans are fine), white bread, white rice, white saltines, lentils, store-bought ketchup (but the stuff I made was wonderful). Oh yeah, cilantro, yuck!

Last edited:
As cute as they are, I detest brussel sprouts, and I've honestly tried to like them. I've heard people give various methods of cooking them so I'd like them, but not even bacon with sprouts has converted me. If bacon won't cure them, nothing will.

...For some reason I just can't stand Carrots, they taste bitter to me and I don't know why.
Try roasting your carrots on a flat pan (spray with a little oil) at 450-500 degrees in the oven for 15-20 minutes...that should take away the bitterness...brings out the sweetness.

All my life I've strongly detested doughnuts and pancakes *blech* :yuk:
.....but I :heart: waffles and french toast...love love love 'em.
Go figure.

Last edited:
For me it is oysters, mussels, snails and clams (though I can have clams cut up fine in a chowder). It isn't the smell. I can cook them all no problem for DH and when I was working. It is the fact I gag. I can eat Tuna and Salmon sashimi and love it but not as sushi - the fish and rice create that same gag feeling.

Caramel is another thing. I used to love it but now just don't care for it.

By the way, Snip, big hugs and welcome back!

Thanks for the tips guys :) It's not just the smell of chicken that puts me of, it's the taste too. I've tried killing it with curry, eating KFC (I order mash and gravy when Hubby wants a KFC fix lol!), Stirfry etc etc but nothing hides the taste. Think I'll just go without.

As for carrots, I've tried roasting, sweetening, adding them to stews and once again the taste just gets me. I'll eat them since it beats chicken.

I also don't eat bananas unless cooked. Love banana bread and milkshake but a raw banana is safe from me unless I'm stuck in the bush and close to starvation lol!

I hate pumpkin. I hate pumpkin pie. But, a friend of mine makes pumpkin muffins that I like. I can't really say I love them though.

I hate pumpkin. I hate pumpkin pie. But, a friend of mine makes pumpkin muffins that I like. I can't really say I love them though.
I also will eat pumpkin muffins (I use the recipe from the Bon Appetite cookbook series from the '80s). I skipped going to the pie making thing where I volunteer this week because it was pumpkin pie making week. I make pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving if my brother is coming, but otherwise, it isn't on the menu. I love winter squash. But pumpkin--well, the dogs like it.

Back
Top Bottom