Everyone else is asleep ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
So what do you do? It used to drive my mom crazy. Right now it is only 8:30 p.m., and my doggie and husband are out for the count. When I lived in different time zones, I could call friends/family. Usually my answer is read, read and read some more. I'm "talking' to you guys, having a glass of wine, and my book is beside me. A friend gave us a bunch of DVDs that were truly lousy, and my doggie went up to bed with my husband (meaning that doggie will wake me up at 3 a.m. to pee) (I was too slow on the uptake last night and am still washing sheets). So ... what do you do.

I do every thing the same as always, except with headphones on. TV, laptop and all under a pool of light.

Two TVs. Two iPads. Two Kindles. Two floors of the house.

This has worked for us for 27 years! (24 married), though the iPads and Kindles only came into play within the last few years or so...

I love the peace and quiet. I can clean up the kitchen, do laundry, etc.

Last edited:
so sorry, claire, i've been there too. i started doing nighttime shopping--grocery shopping, box stores, laundry mats, etc. i also did the reading and the dvds (well, mine were vcr tapes). take some time and get some really good dvds just for you, just for this sole time and purpose. same thing with books--save a special book for your special time. do some cooking/baking/crafts--whatever you like to do by yourself. call other late night people. get a dog loyal to you alone. ok, jk, jk - good luck.... :)

Oh, I used to do beadwork. But I always stop that just before Christmas, when I know there will be children around. It's just too tempting. So I put it away. Believe me, it is just too pretty. Then time whisked by and I had a new dog who can jump several feet. Now I cannot do bead-work in front of the TV my husband constantly watches, so am considering setting up in the dining room. There are 2 pr of earrings and a few necklaces I'd like to make. That said, I cannot figure out how to move the beadwork from he diningt room, because it is the favorite room for us to entertain. Yes, I have bedrooms I can do this in, but I used to do it when husband dig his stuff, and, as stupid as it may sound, we are very companionable, chatting about this and that while he watches TV and I plod along, reading or beading or both of us training our doggie. To be honest with you, I consider tv or computer too .. stimulating? Back when we wrote letters, I have a friend I'd write to, almost like a diary. But you can fall asleep writing a letter, and you can't when you're writing an email.

i really wish you could do yard work in the middle of the night. because of my work schedule, i'm often up at 3am on my days off, and i can't count how many times i wish that i could go out and cut the lawn, or trim hedges, or till and plant in the garden.

i really wish you could do yard work in the middle of the night. because of my work schedule, i'm often up at 3am on my days off, and i can't count how many times i wish that i could go out and cut the lawn, or trim hedges, or till and plant in the garden.

Yeah, when it's nice and cool!

ed zachary!

there's so many positives to it.

work gets done, it's cool out, and my neighbor with the weed lawn would never see me spread weed killer on his yard.. :mrgreen:

it'ramadan, though, so you never know when they're up having breakfast, lol.

Just heard my husband get up for a whizz. Guess I'll consider going up and sleeping with spouse and doggie for a few hours. I'll bet doggie wales me up in a few hour and hubbie pretends he doesn't notice. Means if I don't wake up I have sheets to wash.

Just heard my husband get up for a whizz. Guess I'll consider going up and sleeping with spouse and doggie for a few hours. I'll bet doggie wales me up in a few hour and hubbie pretends he doesn't notice. Means if I don't wake up I have sheets to wash.

Why don't you wake up doggie now and take her outside?

Great idea, PF. We have a nice 3 way walking flashlight that shoots a beam ahead as well as straight down at your feet. I use it to walk our dog in the winter when it gets dark early, think I got it from Herrington catalog. I'm night blind, and it works well for me.

LOL! I'm about to wake Latte' up and tell her it's time to sleep. It means she'll be in much sooner to walk all over me and settle down. Instead of in a couple of hours and wake me up.

fter the ice cream it's tip toe to the slicing glass doo and watch the solar lights change colors. I love these things they are so pretty andI find if that doesn't do the trick, i wander into the kitchen, shut the doors and and make the dough for foccacia. This for me is addicting and now since I have a new toy tiny pies are the passion around here.
kades

i am always sure to wake my cats up in the middle of the afternnon when they're sleeping if they've decided to bite my fingers and nose when i'm sleeping.

it's petty, but fair...

:LOL: I do that to my cat too sometimes. I'll even mimic the way he wakes me if I'm really irritated with him. Like if he puts his front paws on my cheeks, presses his nose to mine and mews at the top of his kitty lungs, then whacks me in the eye when I try to ignore him, I put my face right in front of his and exclaim, "Hi Nimbus!" and then laugh when he scrambles to keep from falling off the back of the couch. That's what he gets for putting his paw in my eye.

I work thirds and have for the most part since graduating from high school. The hubby has worked a variety of shifts. It's pretty common for me to be the only one up. When I'm at home and no one else is up I just do things I'd normally do. I quietly work on the house or browse the internet. I listen to music or do late night grocery store runs. I also try to find some me time where I can do something creative. And if I know there is a big meal to cook the next day sometimes I'll do some prep work the night before.

Last edited:
Easy for me since you guys are all up when I'm supposed to be sleeping lol!
I just come and browse DC with a cup of warm Milo or Hot Chocolate and maybe an alcoholic drink if we have any in the house.

Back
Top Bottom