Exercise, Workouts, Fitness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve and I both lost a fair bit of weight last year...I did it due to finding out I had high cholesterol, which is hereditary as my dad had heart disease :(

We cut out all saturated fats and just generally ate well and went on lots of walks

We have had a slight relapse over Winter (as you do LOL) so now on a mission again to lose that extra weight we put on again and cut out the bad food again!

Breakfast & lunch are always a challenge for me to eat healthy. I am up & out by 5:30 am. We have a small cafe/catering business so lunch is always busy. Greek yogurt & a granola bar have been working nicely around 8 am. I am always looking for quick, healthy foods to eat on the go. I would be so very happy & appreciative to hear any options you would like to share.

I know it's early, but you should eat something substantial in the mornings. I spend a good part of the weekend creating my breakfasts and lunches for the work week and lunch is always something I don't mind cold or room temp as I sit at my desk.

French toast can be made ahead, so can whole grain pancakes or waffles. Try fruit compotes on the waffles and pancakes instead of butter and syrup. Is there a hot cereal you do like? You can make it up a week at a time and heat in the microwave each morning. I take three cups of chopped fruit like peaches, blueberries, strawberries, etc and put in a small sauce pan with 1/2 cup of water and 1-2 tsp of sugar. Bring it to a boil, cover and lower the heat to simmer for about 15 minutes. Cool and put in fridge, this is great on a lot of things and low in sugars. It's also great in hot cereal.

Greek yogurt is a good start, you should have a salad of some sort and fruit. Try to leave bread and grain type stuff for breakfast. Snacks are good too, like apple slices and peanut butter, cut up pineapple or melon for half way through the afternoon.

Not sure how much pop you drink during the day, but you should start swapping in water and tea more often. Limit fruit juices, too, they are high in sugars.

Typical lunch for me is 3 ounces diced lunch meat, one ounce of diced cheese, green salad with tomatoes, topped with a mustard vinaigrette.

When I get home, I usually have an additional snack, this can be pudding or ice cream but usually a popsicle. Then for dinner I have a broth soup.

If I am hungry before I go to bed, I have a hot cup of beef broth.

I hope this helps a bit!:)

I lost a lot of weight when I started walking for 30-60 minutes every day. My breakfast is a glass of skim milk in the morning followed by a big glass of low sodium V-8 that I sip at work.

Last edited:
Breakfast & lunch are always a challenge for me to eat healthy. I am up & out by 5:30 am. We have a small cafe/catering business so lunch is always busy. Greek yogurt & a granola bar have been working nicely around 8 am. I am always looking for quick, healthy foods to eat on the go. I would be so very happy & appreciative to hear any options you would like to share.

Become a label reader. You would be surprised how many "quick" foods that you think are nutritious have sugar. Take a look at your granola bar. They are usually loaded with sugar. As you know the further down the list sugar is, the less there is in it. The nuts and other ingredients are certainly good for you. But it is that sugary paste that hold it all together that is the culprit. And it helps to make a lot of the healthy ingredients taste better.

I know you are in the food business. As a result you have to taste a lot of the food you make. So have a rule. I often see chefs stick their little finger in the food to taste it. I have no problem with that. So the rule should be, "the taste should be no larger with what would be on the tip of your finger for tasting." Those tasting calories can add up fast. Try to pack a lunch to take with you. A healthy salad with the dressing on the side. Carrot and celery sticks to munch on when you feel yourself getting hungry. Keep a supply soaking in salted water in the fridge. Cut them small enough so that you can stick the whole stick in your mouth and free up your hands to keep working. But the most important meal is your breakfast. I hate to say it, but I would rather see you eat a Egg McMuffin in the morning than a doughnut. At least you will be getting some protein in you. And that will hold you better than the carbs in a fried doughnut. Or try to make an egg salad sandwich the night before to eat on your way to work. Put chopped celery in it. Hold back on the onions. You are dealing with the public and don't want onion breath. There are a lot of little tricks that can help you in your quest to get the weight off.

Anyone else have anything to add? Something that helped you when you were trying to lose weight? :angel:

I thought I was the only one who didn't own a suit! I didn't buy the classes until I ordered a few and found one that fit well. Luckily this is a good time of year to buy them. Took the first class today. I'd taken them before, but just one here and one there. For years I had my own pool, and worked out in it by myself. Anyway, this is going to be perfect for my needs for the next couple of months (I'm hoping to get back to Zumba eventually). It really felt good, and my leg was much less achy after the class (I'd over-done both exercise and housework yesterday, so was feeling it this morning).

$30 for the pool? And that includes an exercise class? I'm paying $64 for 10 classes, so yes, you have a bargain. You just let the people who work there know your physical problems. If it is something they cannot handle, believe me, they'll discourage you. Businesses, especially pools, are very lawsuit-conscious and won't want you there if they can't get you out and to an appropriate place, fast.

The cost is $30 for the year. It is a public gym/community center and run by the parks department. I will have access to anything I want to participate in. The pool is open year round and inside. They even have hot water showers.

During the Depression, a lot of people who were living on the streets, used to go there to take a shower. A lot of the triple deckers were built at the turn of the century had only a toilet. No bathtub or shower. So the folks would go there once a week to take a shower. You would get a small bar of soap, face cloth and a towel. All for free. Including the shower. :angel:

I know it's early, but you should eat something substantial in the mornings. I spend a good part of the weekend creating my breakfasts and lunches for the work week and lunch is always something I don't mind cold or room temp as I sit at my desk.

French toast can be made ahead, so can whole grain pancakes or waffles. Try fruit compotes on the waffles and pancakes instead of butter and syrup. Is there a hot cereal you do like? You can make it up a week at a time and heat in the microwave each morning. I take three cups of chopped fruit like peaches, blueberries, strawberries, etc and put in a small sauce pan with 1/2 cup of water and 1-2 tsp of sugar. Bring it to a boil, cover and lower the heat to simmer for about 15 minutes. Cool and put in fridge, this is great on a lot of things and low in sugars. It's also great in hot cereal.

Greek yogurt is a good start, you should have a salad of some sort and fruit. Try to leave bread and grain type stuff for breakfast. Snacks are good too, like apple slices and peanut butter, cut up pineapple or melon for half way through the afternoon.

Not sure how much pop you drink during the day, but you should start swapping in water and tea more often. Limit fruit juices, too, they are high in sugars.

Typical lunch for me is 3 ounces diced lunch meat, one ounce of diced cheese, green salad with tomatoes, topped with a mustard vinaigrette.

When I get home, I usually have an additional snack, this can be pudding or ice cream but usually a popsicle. Then for dinner I have a broth soup.

If I am hungry before I go to bed, I have a hot cup of beef broth.

I hope this helps a bit!:)
Thank you so much for all those good tips. About the only hot cereal I like is chocolate malt o meal, probaly not the healthiest. Easy lunch for me is either a cup of homemeade soup or fresh fruit. I exercise late afternoon then eat my proteins & bigger meal for supper with dh & the daughter. Keep the great ideas coming, I really do appreciate it!

Thank you so much for all those good tips. About the only hot cereal I like is chocolate malt o meal, probaly not the healthiest. Easy lunch for me is either a cup of homemeade soup or fresh fruit. I exercise late afternoon then eat my proteins & bigger meal for supper with dh & the daughter. Keep the great ideas coming, I really do appreciate it!

Buy the regular Malt 'O Meal and add your own chocolate or cocoa, then you can control the sugar content. And you can add other things to the Malt 'O Meal like the fruit I mentioned. You can even stir Greek Yogurt into it and boost your protein. Protein for breakfast helps you feel full longer and it will keep you from snacking too much.

I have also fried up sausage patties and eggs on Sunday to make egg and sausage muffins during the week. It takes two minutes to warm the sausage and egg in the microwave while you toast and butter the muffin.

I would like to see you start your day off with a protein. It will keep you going a lot better than just carbs. Take in both. You will also feel more filled.

How often have we all heard, "Oh, I don't eat breakfast." But walk in at 7 a.m. with a box of choclate frosted cream filled doughnuts and they will stomp on you to get to them. :angel:

Buy the regular Malt 'O Meal and add your own chocolate or cocoa, then you can control the sugar content. And you can add other things to the Malt 'O Meal like the fruit I mentioned. You can even stir Greek Yogurt into it and boost your protein. Protein for breakfast helps you feel full longer and it will keep you from snacking too much.

I have also fried up sausage patties and eggs on Sunday to make egg and sausage muffins during the week. It takes two minutes to warm the sausage and egg in the microwave while you toast and butter the muffin.

One of the benefits (if there are any) of being a diabetic, is that you learn all sorts of nifty tricks for eating. :angel:

One of the benefits (if there are any) of being a diabetic, is that you learn all sorts of nifty tricks for eating. :angel:
Thank you everyone for sharing. It really is a mental adjustment to start eating correctly. I have just been used to eating easy, processed foods for way to long.

Thank you everyone for sharing. It really is a mental adjustment to start eating correctly. I have just been used to eating easy, processed foods for way to long.

Just trying to steer you away from Type 2 Diabetes and High Cholesterol...or even a heart attack! If we can do that for just one person, we will have done a good thing. Make the adjustments to your diet now, before you are forced to in the future, once you get that diagnosis of diabetes you can never get rid of it. But, by changing how you eat now, you may dodge that bullet and never have to go on all the medications just to keep you living.

And educating yourself on healthy eating. You have a slew of folks here willing to help keep you on the right track. After a while smart eating becomes a way of life. :angel:

Just trying to steer you away from Type 2 Diabetes and High Cholesterol...or even a heart attack! If we can do that for just one person, we will have done a good thing. Make the adjustments to your diet now, before you are forced to in the future, once you get that diagnosis of diabetes you can never get rid of it. But, by changing how you eat now, you may dodge that bullet and never have to go on all the medications just to keep you living.

Even though I have been taken off my medication for diabetes, I am still a diabetic and always will be. The only reason I am off any medication is because I finally took the word diabetic seriously and changed my diet. Now is the time for you to do it SB. Before you have to add that word to your daily volcabulary. :angel:

My husband was diagnosed as being diabetic (in truth, he was borderline) and really took it seriously. His doctor said if hadn't seen the tests himself he wouldn't believe it. I told him years before that he needed to aim for exercise every day rather than the 2-3x/wk he was aiming for. If you aim for daily, you'll wind up doing it at least 5x/wk. For him he goes for 30 grams of carbs for two meals, 60 for his large meal, then snacks of 15-20 in between and after dinner. It has worked for him.

If you like soup, here's one: Nuke a mug of V8, the spicy one if you like some zip. Voila! Tomato soup! You can put a few veggies in it that are frozen or fresh and chopped, ready to go in the fridge or freezer to make it heartier. Or croutons. Or leftover pasta from the night before. But the V8 is a staple in our house, and it has fewer carbs/calories than canned tomato soup.

I am going to go against the grain and tell you to avoid fruit like the plague for the next few months. Eat vitamin C every day at least 1000mg but 2-3k is great too. fruit is pure sugar and will give you spikes that you don't need. You need slow burning filling foods. That would be fibre and slow burning carbs.

I start every day almost with a slice of whole multi-grain bread. Must be whole grain! Costco has the best one I think. I spread low calorie peanut butter on it after toasting it. This is also my blood crash go-to food which I am knoshing as we speak. 76 bs is why I am up at 4am.

Stir-fried edamame with garlic and chili is a snack you can eat alot of and have little effect on your BS. You can also steam it if every calorie counts.

My conveinant luch is a cup of brown rice (the micro kind) and a can of tuna on top. A little salad and your set. I ate this everyday for months.
You can find similar things to mix it up.

Dinner is usually high in protein and small on carbs but you need your carbs. NO white rice or potatoes at all! No pasta either. At least for now.
Quinoa or whole beans or lentils worked for me. Lots of greens too!

You also need to get your body into a "state of repair" re: your muscles.
Walking is great especially if you hit some weights later. working out 2 times a day will give you 4 times the benefit. Go heavy on the weights! You won't get big! you will be sore at first but it will get easier.Heavy is what is heavy to you and numbers don't matter.

I went from a 13 fasting BS to 6.5 in 3 months doing this. The doctor said they have never seen anybody do it so fast. It worked for me but I know everyone is different.

Back
Top Bottom