EZ-Pass (believeable) Scam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcSaute

Head Chef
scam&spam email aims to "trick" you into opening, clicking, etc.

this one almost got me - if you have EZ-Pass, it could work because....

by coincidence, I had just used the EZ-Pass a few days prior. so I get an email implying I had an EZ-Pass Invoice Due for failure to pay a toll.

knee jerk reaction was WHAT?! and of course there's a .pdf file attached.
(as you may know, nastyware, virus, trojans and the like can be hidden in pdf, jpg, Word, etc files...)

there was no name, no date/time/place, license plate number - that is what immediately tipped me off.

cars that skip the toll are "caught" via the license plate registrations. EZ-Pass has your plate number - they have no reason to send you an email about a toll violation.

fwiw - it's making the rounds and might fool you into reacting if you have /use EZ-Pass.

There are scams that I have just barely caught, for similar reasons. One of the things to always ask yourself is, do they have my email address? If not, or if they have a different one, check carefully to see if it is a scam or phishing.

yup. another tip off is: "But I don't have an EZ-Pass" (g)

actually I mean to say this is making the rounds _again_
it appeared previously....

the thing is, I routinely get emails from EZ-Pass - my statement is ready, we've replenished your account, that sort of stuff -

that's what makes this one so devious. if you have an EZ-Pass the first reaction is "What, are they nuts?" followed by a "click" -
followed by an "AH (expletive deleted)!"

Back
Top Bottom