Face Masks and Sewing Crafts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Kayelle had suggested a thread on making face masks and other, more pleasant sewing crafts in the Wednesday dinner thread. Since I haven't found one started by her, I'll get this party started.

Our state is requiring masks if you cannot maintain the 6' social distance directive. Rather than dance around inconsiderate shoppers wandering into my space, I wear a mask with no complaints. So far I've made a half-dozen for myself. I'll be sending a couple of those on to Loverly, though. My first attempts came out a bit smaller than I had planned. Not only does she have a tiny face (she has to select her eyeglass frames from the children's selection), her SO has three kids, two of which are grade school age. After I get a decent number for me, Himself, and to send on to the kids, I plan on gifting a few of the neighbors around here.

I've kinda modified the method shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmR2P4-b2Uc

for the standard surgical style mask. However, I wanted two different fabrics, so I've cut two pieces of fabric 9 1/2 x 6 for each mask. That size seems a bit small top-to-bottom (one of the masks pins my mouth shut - it's Himself's favorite! :ROFLMAO: ) so my next attempt will be 7 inches. Gosh, I wish I was a real sewer! I'm doing most of this in the hunt-and-peck typing style. :LOL:

OK, Kayelle, what kind of stuff are you sewing up? Anyone else, too? I know that Katie H is probably busy in her studio...

Oh, I'll post photos tomorrow when I can take pictures in natural light.

No sewing here.

The whole mask thing did cause me to start using my steam iron for the first time in many, many, years.

I started using a couple of bandanas and now I'm using fabric squares the same basic size as the bandana.

I cheat a little on the design in the video by adding a bobby pin or a small paper clip inside of the mask to help keep it together.

I need to find a lighter weight solution for the dog days of summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r2C1zGUHbU

I made us a couple. I hand sewed them, using the hair elastics since I couldn't find any regular elastic. I probably had some in my sewing stuff, but it never got unpacked, along with a lot of other stuff, and I didn't feel like looking for it, so just bought some needles and thread also. Also managed to get some of the blue shop towels to use as filters. Left a little pocket so the filters can get replaced when the masks are washed.

Craig had 2 of the N95 (I think) masks from when he did some remodeling a while back and we use them sometimes, but I'd rather use the cloth ones as they are more comfortable. We just put the N masks out in the sunlight and fresh air after we use them since strong sunlight supposedly helps to sanitize them.

I just wear a bandana. Why bother with sewing?

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable wearing just a bandana.
For the fact that a face masks covers your mouth completely.
Wearing just a bandana leaves an opening at the bottom that exposes your mucus from sneezing,coughing onto us/me.

No thank you!

I actually cut the bottom of my bandanna to allow for air flow. The rule is to cover your face, not to constrict it completely.

Is anyone else having issues with glasses fogging up when wearing a face mask? If so, what do you do about it? I haven't used a mask much (I don't go out), and it only happens sometimes.

If you pinch the metal part around the b ridge of your nose, your glasses won't fog up.

This is why civilians should not be wearing masks!

Is anyone else having issues with glasses fogging up when wearing a face mask? If so, what do you do about it? I haven't used a mask much (I don't go out), and it only happens sometimes.

Dish soap or shaving cream has worked for for us.
It only takes a drop and warm water to clean them.
Rinse.I use lens cleaning clothes to dry them off.Lint free.

I just wear a bandana. Why bother with sewing?
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable wearing just a bandana.
For the fact that a face masks covers your mouth completely.
Wearing just a bandana leaves an opening at the bottom that exposes your mucus from sneezing,coughing onto us/me.

No thank you!
I actually cut the bottom of my bandanna to allow for air flow. The rule is to cover your face, not to constrict it completely.
The rule is to prevent droplets from your nose and mouth from being expelled into the air. Allowing air flow doesn't do that. Your nose and mouth need to be covered completely.

This is from the CDC.
Screenshot_20200514-133856_Chrome.jpg

Of the two face masks in CG's first post, 2 months ago I made about 15 of the top style. Yesterday I made the first one of the bottom style. I can't stand anything tucked behind my ears so I put ties on the top model and elastic on the one I made yesterday.

Effective tomorrow, May 15, anyone in New Mexico outside of their house or back yard must wear a face mask. It is mandatory. If you are in a public space, you have to be wearing a face mask. So I'm making more masks.

Here is the one I made yesterday. It is made with a heavy cotton material and lined with flannel. It is comfortable and for an unknown reason, does not fog up my glasses. It has a pouch for an additional liner. This will be my current pattern of face masks to make.

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 113
If you pinch the metal part around the b ridge of your nose, your glasses won't fog up.

This is why civilians should not be wearing masks!

I'm an RN, completely experienced in the wearing of PPE and my face masks always fog my glasses. Several remedies have been tried, none work for me.

I just bought 5 of the pleated masks, I like them because they are stiff enough for complete coverage and do not fold up so I am chewing them when I try to talk. They do have a flannel liner and the fuzzy issue is problematic, also already a bit warm.

So glad I am no longer working 12 hour shifts...

That's a nice mask, beth. I haven't made any with a filter pocket yet, though.

...They do have a flannel liner and the fuzzy issue is problematic...So glad I am no longer working 12 hour shifts...

Can you reverse the mask so that the flannel is on the outside? I made mine two-sided for two reasons. First, I can pick the mask(s) I want based on mood - plain? or fancy? Second, if I have to reuse a mask (something I try to avoid), I know which side to face out.

I'm glad that you aren't working 12-hour shifts, too.

IMG_20200514_164101702.jpg

I hate having to wear a face mask, but most stores require them in San Diego. I have tried both cloth and paper and I hate them for two reasons; One, they fog up my glasses, and two, my iPhone can't recognize my face!

Oh, and could someone put out a news bulletin that social distancing does not apply when you are driving on the highway?

SLoB, it cracked me up when I see people driving with a mask on. Then it occurred to me that they might have just a short hop over to their next stop and don't want to fiddle with taking it off and putting it back on. I take multiple masks when I go out so that I can slip off the used one and bag it, then take a fresh one at my next location - but even I left one on when going from Target to Aldi about a half mile apart.

Back
Top Bottom