Facebook Like Button????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I gotta ask...If it's just like clicking on a thread found on Google, Yahoo etc, and if doesn't give access that they don't already have, and doesn't add any features that were not already there and if the same exact people can view the same exact data as before.....then what is the point of having the Facebook "Like" button?

That is a good question. I am not sure how familiar you are with Facebook, so I will just assume you have no experience with it and explain. When someone likes something, it is akin to them saying to their friends/family "Hey, I like this.". Their friends and family will see that on their Facebook page. They may click the link to see more about what it is their friend likes. That of course drives more traffic here and (hopefully) increases traffic and participation over the long term.

I gotta ask...If it's just like clicking on a thread found on Google, Yahoo etc, and if doesn't give access that they don't already have, and doesn't add any features that were not already there and if the same exact people can view the same exact data as before.....then what is the point of having the Facebook "Like" button?
If I think a thread is worth sharing with my friends on FB, this is a very easy way to do it.

Of course, I could just copy the link from here and post that on FB, but then I have to have an open FB page.

I don't think it's a big deal, one way or the other.

Second, you can disable this in your user CP under edit options.

Yes, thank you. Good to have options!

Ah, found it. Scroll down to the bottom, there's a place to check "Disable Facebook Features."

Last edited:
To be clear, if I disable FB functions in my options, does that just prevent me from liking a thread, but all my posts still are part of the thread? If that's the case, what's the point? I can just not do it on my own.

To be clear, if I disable FB functions in my options, does that just prevent me from liking a thread, but all my posts still are part of the thread? If that's the case, what's the point? I can just not do it on my own.
:LOL:

You won't have to see the "Like" button. :ROFLMAO:

Thank the gods there is a remove option since I don't use FB at all. Kind of cheesy to have to remove it Vs opting it in, but gotta make that $$ from Google Ads I suppose.

... gotta make that $$ from Google Ads I suppose.

Ads are what keeps this site going. Without them there's no DC.

More people become aware of DC, as a result, more people join DC. With a higher membership, ads get DC more money. More money makes DC's owner happy to have DC. We have a place to hand out.

People are what keeps DC going. Without us this place wouldn't be.
Money is just a second thought. Remember all those Mustard ads? They didn't last long before we revolted against them.

It would have been a courteous move on the owners part to inform "US" that the Fake Book option was going to be introduced and how to opt out of it if "WE" decided to do so. A sticky in the announcement section would have been nice.

Disabling the facebook thing only allows you and those who disable it to not see the button. It is still there.

I just went into my user cp and changed everything over to only registered members can see my anything.

Without doing that I was able to see all kinds of stuff about people who post in threads without being logged in.

Maybe I'm just a bit too worried these days and over cautious .. so for me that is the way to go.

I really appreciate all the activity this thread has had .. just shows how involved we all are in this forum ... and that's a good thing !!!

Then I freaked .. I had just started a thread a day or so ago asking everyone to post pictures of their kids, grands etc .. The Big Brag Book. And I had posted pics of the young ones in our family.

So I went there and sure enough .. there was that facebook like button.

Well I do NOT want those children's pictures out there for any freak on Facebook to get hold of.

Once you post anything on a public site like these it's out there for any crazy to get ahold of. You can't assume that DC is a safe place to post personal information. You can't assume that all the members here are without malice or ill will.

And despite the fact that the thread was taken down, it's still out there.

Disabling the facebook thing only allows you and those who disable it to not see the button. It is still there.

I just went into my user cp and changed everything over to only registered members can see my anything.

What setting is this? There is no setting that makes your posts private, there never has been.

Again, I must reiterate: there is NO new change in privacy. All the past and current posts on this forum were subject to being posted on facebook by any guest or member who can view them. That has not changed at all. I would like someone who believes differently to demonstrate how that has changed please?
Without doing that I was able to see all kinds of stuff about people who post in threads without being logged in.

And that was the case before this was added. This is not new. Nothing you post here in the public forums are hidden from guest users and it never has been.

Maybe I'm just a bit too worried these days and over cautious .. so for me that is the way to go.

When you turn off the option in the user cp, you no longer see the FB button or the share option, which is exactly how things were before. Everyone else still has the same ability to share a thread on Facebook just like they always have.

Someone liking a thread you start does not affect you at all. It does not reveal any information about you or yours that wasn't already being revealed before today. It does not post it to a grand Facebook page where the entire world can view it, it shares it with peoples friends who are already viewing the site.

Everyone worries about the scoundrels, thieves and perverts that are ever present on the internet. I'm constantly amazed at the personal information some people post on FB. This is why you don't know my name, where I live and why I refer to SO rather than give you her name.

Tech. Admin. is right that there have been no changes to what people could or could not see. The FB icons just brought t to our attention.

Once you post anything on a public site like these it's out there for any crazy to get ahold of. You can't assume that DC is a safe place to post personal information. You can't assume that all the members here are without malice or ill will.

And despite the fact that the thread was taken down, it's still out there.

Understood Jenny ... anything posted is fair game for anyone who wants to root it out. My concern was about opening us up for more.

I am testing a modification to this that will not put the FB like button on any thread you started if you have it disabled in the user cp, for everyone. This of course will not stop people from sharing your thread, it just won't encourage them to do so.

I can't say 100% if this will be rolled out or not because I have not tested the impact is has on load, nor tested it with the team. Working on it.

I would like to say that I think there are some misconceptions of what happens to your threads when you post them on a public forum. They are there for the world to see, that includes Google, Facebook, FBI, China, etc.. This is not, nor has it ever been, a private forum. People shared DC threads all the time on FB before the like button was added:

https://www.google.com/search?q=discusscooking.com+site:facebook.com

And that is just the public sharing.

This is a net positive for the site. More people visiting the site equates to more people that "keep DC going."

What setting is this? There is no setting that makes your posts private, there never has been.

Didn't mean to imply my posts were private .. just all the other info like contact info, profile picture etc .. the stuff in our user cp under profile privacy.

Everyone worries about the scoundrels, thieves and perverts that are ever present on the internet. I'm constantly amazed at the personal information some people post on FB. This is why you don't know my name, where I live and why I refer to SO rather than give you her name.

Tech. Admin. is right that there have been no changes to what people could or could not see. The FB icons just brought t to our attention.

This is true, but when people find a corner of the Internet to hang out they tend to get a bit chummier. They post with the understanding that the only ones to see it are either already there, or doing a search. Having a Like button on a thread here that is linked with FB is like giving your address to a mass mailer. It puts your posts into one of the biggest spammers hands with one click. I'd just as soon they have to work to get my info. It's bad enough having mods know your IP addy who divulge no information of their own. JMO :angel::angel::angel:

Back
Top Bottom