Famous Family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the Daughters of the Revolution (or something on that order).

quote]
Did you ever see Bob Newhart's show where he had an inn? In one of the episodes , he was asked to give a talk on the historical aspect of the Inn to a group of Daughters of the Revolution, and he said they are daughters of the 3 day pass . I thought that was so funny. ;)

We grew up thinking we were relatives of Stephen Foster, American folk song writer "(Oh, Susannah," among others), but then my aunt did more research, and we're not :(

My cousin is an actress and was on the "Drew Carey Show" once.

I could join the Daughters of the Revolution (through 3 ancestors!) *and* the Daughters of the Confederacy.

My DH's grandfather, Lloyd Moore, is the oldest living NASCAR driver. He left the sport in the 50's so that he could be more involved with raising his six girls. At 95, 96 in June, he has plenty of stories about the good old days!! :)

quote]
Did you ever see Bob Newhart's show where he had an inn? In one of the episodes , he was asked to give a talk on the historical aspect of the Inn to a group of Daughters of the Revolution, and he said they are daughters of the 3 day pass . I thought that was so funny. ;)[/quote]

I know the show (always good for laughts), but don't remember that episode. I will watch for it!

To stay on topic, don't you think we're all famous in someone's eyes? :-p

My husband's grandfather was related to Junior Johnson (yea, another NASCAR driver :rolleyes:) who, in the day, made his fair share of moonshine (you know, North Carolina, where the moon comes over the mountains in gallon jugs)....anyway, DH's grandfather went to jail for 3 years because he wouldn't name Junior Johnson as "the one".

Me, I'm Hungarian Gypsy - I don't want to know what thief in history I am related to :blush:

Nothing particularly impressive over here... I had a way back great uncle who led the first expedition down the entire length of the Colorado river.

Beyond that not really anything, unless you're an RN in the state of Indiana. I believe my great aunt helped to found the certification/licensing board for RNs in Indiana.

My relatives are famous for another reason. As the old saying goes "you can pick your friends, but can't pick your relatives', is true with me. My great grandmother was a distant cousin of Frank and Jesse James. I don't know much more than that because my grandfather said she would not speak of 'those boys' as she called them.

As the old saying goes "you can pick your friends, but can't pick your relatives', is true with me.

Oh, I thought the quote was: You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you canNOT pick your friend's nose. LoL

...My grandfather once told us that we had a relative who was one of the original Harlem Globe Trotters. We had to explain to him that we are white, Jewish, and short and those three things do not really go with the Globe Trotters :LOL:

GB, don't be too quick to dismiss the possibility. This may be worth looking into.

Oh, I thought the quote was: You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you canNOT pick your friend's nose. LoL
:LOL: Here's another gross one.
You can pick you friend's and you can pick your nose but you can't wipe your friends on the couch:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So sorry for that one but I just could not help myself:LOL:

My grandfather once told us that we had a relative who was one of the original Harlem Globe Trotters. We had to explain to him that we are white, Jewish, and short and those three things do not really go with the Globe Trotters :LOL:
But the Globetrotters were founded and owned by Abe Saperstein who was short, white and Jewish. Are you related to him?

My great uncle invented plastic spiral binding, but my long-ago great grandfather on my mother's side was an aide to General Washington in the Revolutionary war and is supposedly pictured in that painting of Washington Crossing the Delaware. I know he was in the Revolutionary War, but I don't know how much of the rest of that is true..... :mellow:

I just checked with dad and we were not related to Abe. Grandpa was talking about a family member actually playing on the team.

Father-in-law's great-grandfather who was a professor opposed the Kaiser and had to flee Germany and settled in Texas along with many other Germans near San Antonio, TX. My own great-grandfather established the first Catholic German community in a small north Texas town that is still thriving today. Only claim to fame.......there's a rumour that my husband's family is somewhat related to Shakspeare's wife, Ann Hathaway, as they share the same mother's maiden name (Hathaway) but I highly doubt it..none of them have produced a play as far as I know

I think we have a lot of infamous ones too. When you shake my family tree, only nuts fall out.
Seriously, by adoption I am related to Edgar Allan Poe. Since I enjoy writing I'm really proud of that; he's one of my favorites.

Me, I'm Hungarian Gypsy - I don't want to know what thief in history I am related to :blush:

Funny, DW is half Hungarian Gypsy, Half British.... maybe you guys share a half-thief in there somewhere??:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Grandma said we were related to some 'Whitehall' family in the UK, not sure who they are or if they are famous?? Kinda funny though as my MIL (the British half of DW), said her mother once worked for the Whitehalls... weird world.:wacko:

On my side, supposedly we are related to the pitcher Wally Joyner... no idea if it is really true or not.:unsure:

Other than that, just nuts and infamous relatives!:-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom