Favorite childhood toy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Omg I forgot about my own house I made from a fridge box lol.
I remember I cried cause it rained and ruined my home !

My brothers bike (I didn't have one)
Bubble Pipe
Pick Up Sticks
Jump Rope
Jacks
My doll ( she had a little opening for her mouth and when my parents made me eat celery and I couldn't swallow it, I would put it in her mouth).:-p
Paperdolls. I would sit for hours and cut them out. What a fun memory.

Last edited:
Paper Dolls. I would sit for hours and cut them out. What a fun memory.

Thanks for bringing up another cherished memory, JoAnn. I, too, loved paperdolls. I had suit boxes (Anyone remember those?) full of paperdolls. Even had a collection of the Dionne quintuplets paperdolls.

By the time I was about 10-years-old, I began to design my own. I went the whole 9 yards. Clothing, dishes, furniture, everything. I drew, colored, pasted, cut-out for hours and hours. Had a ball!!!!

Slot Cars
Lincoln Logs
BB Gun

I, too, was a fan of boxes... but we didn't get big boxes often enough to have them consistently available. We did, however, have a barn with hay and straw bales with which we made miles of tunnels and great forts. I don't know if hay/straw qualifies as a childhood "toy", but I know we sure had fun with it.

My dad's office was around the corner from a warehouse for a large appliance store in Long Beach back then. He would have lunch at the corner diner and became good friends with many that worked there. I was very lucky and would get them (large boxes) quite often!

God, life was so simple back then!

My dad's office was around the corner from a warehouse for a large appliance store in Long Beach back then. He would have lunch at the corner diner and became good friends with many that worked there. I was very lucky and would get them (large boxes) quite often!

God, life was so simple back then!

Oh, you were golden back then. What a treat!

We lived in a very small town (500 people) but were friends with the folks who owned a furniture/appliance store. Yep! We got freebie boxes often, too. My mother always rolled her eyes when she saw me or one of my 4 brothers or sisters dragging a box up the street. Still, the box was a cheap babysitter.

I'm now longing for those days.

I know you are going to laugh at this but go ahead, I am used to it. I remember when I was a kid my dad would bring home these HUGE boxes used to cover refrigerators. They were heavy, thick and much stronger than the boxes typically used today. I would spend hours creating a fort, space ship or just a private hideaway, cutting holes for windows and making a doorway in. Using magic markers I would make the inside anything I wanted and it was more fun than any toy they could have bought. I saw a photo the other day my mom took back in the early 60's of one of my "Space Ships". It was quite an invention and I remember friends begging for me to "let them in".

Creativity in that regards is lost with a lot of kids today. They just turn on the video game...

A piece of notebook paper and a marker turned the back of the bus seat in front of me and my freind into the cockpit of Fireball XL5. I took on the character role of Robby the Robot.

A picknick table bench became a high-performance jet fighter for me, long before I ever heard of Snoopy and his "Sopwith Camel".

A small, circular clearing in the woods was our time machine. If you rode your bicycle clockwise, you went forward in time. Ride counter-clockwise to go back.

I simple click-style inckpen clicker mechanizm was a three stage rocket that got me into trouble in 2nd grade as it traveled skyward, pushed by my hand until the teach called "Yes Bobby, what do you need?". I needed more work to take up my time as my assignment was completed and I was day dreaming of space, evidently.

Imagination was/is a truly great asset. It can turn stick into a sword, or a picknick bench into a jet fighter. I now try to inspire that imagination and creativity for others. I organized and made a reality our town's anual cardboard sled race. This year will be our fifth. It's a whole lot of fun for the twenty-five or so teams that participate every year. We're just trying to figure out how to get more people involved.

I too thank you for inspiring those long ago memories.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
When my grandson comes down I don't even let him watch TV. We spend all our time together on the beach building sand castles and playing simple games that don't require RAM memory or even so much as an AC outlet...

1) a Science-fair 150 in 1 electronics set.
2) a Chemistry set.
3) my Bicycle (it allowed me to go further distances for my Dumpster diving exploits)

I used to supply most of my own "toys" from these dumpsters, broken TV sets and radios and all sorts of interesting goodies :)

I forgot about my big yellow egg. At least that is what I called it. It was like a little car type thing I sat in. It has 4 wheels like a car. It was bright yellow and round. We kept it at my grandparents house and I loves driving around in it whenever I visited them.

Magnifying glasses.
My 2 smallest are right now laughing hysterically making each other's eye bigger with them..... they each have one.
I use to love starting stuff on fire with one in the sun....
Ahem I mean watching my brother do it!

I loved barby. she was HOT!!!!! LOL..... gunpowder was my favorite toy, no joke. i used to take three wires and hook one of them to the positive side of a 9 volt battery and then from there to some steal wool inside of a pipe bomb. the second wire would go from negitive of the battery to a block of wood and wrap around in a coil. the third wire would be at the opisite end of the wood and be in a coil and then go to the steal wool. i would have a mouse trap set and when it was tripped, the metal part would connect the two coils together creating a simple circut and thus exploding the pipe bomb. i would love to blow things up in my early years (8-12)

Back
Top Bottom