Favorite winter olympic sport?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what is your favorite winter olympic sport?

• Total voters
Where should "Watching highlights of all the crashes in the bobsled, luge, downhill skiing and ski jumping" go? :angel:

John

Figure skating, Alpine Skiing, Jumping (though I am not much into other Nordic events) and Ice Hockey for me!!

Figure skating in particular I have been a huge fan all my life... My best wishes to Stephane Lambiel, Evgeny Plushenko and Carolina Kostner!! :) (and Jessica, I am also fond of your fellow canadian Jeffrey Buttle for his charming personality!)

i absolutely love skiing, hockey, and speed skating, having participated in all three of these in my life.

skiing gets in your blood. the need for downhill speed, and the occasional stop mid-trail to hook up with friends, and you suddenly notice that you're in heaven. the sun peeking thru snow covered trees, only the distant din of the lifts in the frozen air, your heart pounding in your ears. it's great. then it's back to all out abandon, flying down the hill at breakneck speed.
and they sell food and drinks at the top and bottom. :chef:

i remember skiing in breckenridge colorado. btw, it's fun to stay at 10,000 feet with heavy smokers. they never know when to stop exhaling, and then they almost pass out.
anyway, i bring my video camera everywhere i go, so i brought it to the top, hiking a few feet above the highest lift to the ridge to get some good shots. then i hold the camera in one hand, poles in the other and let it rip, stopping occasionally to get pan the camera on good views.
when we got home, i connected the camera to the tv, saw some really beautiful visages of the rockies, but all you could hear was wind, and heavy breathing. a buddy asked what kind of weirdo i was skiing with...

as far as hockey goes, that becomes part of you. the mentality to take and give good clean checks, play hard, give it your all every shift on the ice. and when someone does somethinmg dirty to you, you don't retalliate. you take their number and wait for them to cross your path again with their head down. these things translate in life, too.

speed skating is more of a spiritual thing. your body does the mechanics, flying just a few feet above the ice, (or ground with inline skates), and your mind is free to wander, to fly as your body does as you slice along.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
as far as hockey goes, that becomes part of you. the mentality to take and give good clean checks, play hard, give it your all every shift on the ice. and when someone does somethinmg dirty to you, you don't retalliate. you take their number and wait for them to cross your path again with their head down. these things translate in life, too.

I never retalliate! You can ask the refs! Or check my penalty minute totals! (Just don't ask the guys on the other team...) :angel:

John

buckytom said:
skiing gets in your blood. the need for downhill speed, and the occasional stop mid-trail to hook up with friends, and you suddenly notice that you're in heaven. the sun peeking thru snow covered trees, only the distant din of the lifts in the frozen air, your heart pounding in your ears. it's great. then it's back to all out abandon, flying down the hill at breakneck speed.and they sell food and drinks at the top and bottom. :chef:

Alpine skiing is the best participation sport ever, and you describe the experience well. Unfortunately, TV can never really capture the angles and the grade (maybe we need 3-D TV) particularly well. However, I did cast my vote for this as ONE of my favorite Winter Olympic events, along with the Luge... I would love to try that sometime.

The Z said:
Unfortunately, TV can never really capture the angles and the grade (maybe we need 3-D TV) particularly well.

You are so right about that Z... not that I ever tried skiing but I was always aware of that fact, the white is so deceiving... I am quite sure in reality it must be just as bad as going down on that sloping hill in the ski jumping!!

It is also true in figure skating... The telecams can't convey the sense of speed. I have attended live events and then you would for the first time realise just how fast the skaters glide across the ice. And the difference of the speed was one of the most obvious factors between the top class contenders and so so ones near the bottom of the pile. Ahhh, memories... makes me want to go to a live skating event again!! I really wanted to go to Torino actually, but alas the tickets have been sold out by the time I thought of that... so close but yet so far... arrrgh!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom