Feel Good Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I write a column in my small-town weekly newspaper. My picture appears, and while it isn't a glamour shot, it definitely looks like me. I mostly write about the many years I've spent traveling. At least once a month an older (70-90) lady will approach me .. on the street, at the grocer's, in a restaurant or bar. They always say the same thing. "I never got to travel when I was young, thank you for writing your column, I never miss it." The other night (a Good Friday Fish Fry) an old man came over to our table and said pretty much the same things. All of my freinds were sitting around the table and practically applauded. I have to laugh, because I tried for years to break into writing, and I have to say I flunked out on all counts. Now I don't get paid, but feel that I'm really contributing to my community. I think the glossy travel magazines intimidate them ... I mean, who can actually stay at places Gourmet or other travel/food mags writers talk about? But when I write about campgrounds, cheap motels, and bizarre things that happen on the road, they love it. My freinds said, "my goodness, you have a fan club!" I loved it. I just wanted to tell someone about the experience.

We all write about our bad days. When was your last feel-good day?

I'm sure you are happy to make a difference in someone's life. I have wondered also how people can afford to travel to all sorts of places with the prices of hotels listed in travel magazines. One would have to be independently wealthy to travel like many of the magazines report. One thing I've wanted to do is take a trip with Elderhostel. I get their information on both national and international trips, but haven't done anything about it.I hear such glowing reports on their travels, but put it off. I suppose that is something I need to do this year.

Back
Top Bottom