Feline afficianados?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
Once again, I am turning to the smartest people I know!!

My DW got a cat for her birthday. A cute little kitten, she named Bella. Trouble is, its been 3 weeks, and Bella hasn't acclimated herself to us or our home. She spends all day hiding (we are absolutely unable to locate her) and prowls when we're asleep.

On the days when we do catch her, she'll sit with us, let us rub her belly-in short, she seems very comfortable. But the minute we put her down, shes off into her hiding place(s) and we won't see her again until she decides to come out!!

Although I love all animals, I am more a dog person. Any suggestions? She is about 3 months old, and came from a farm, if that makes any difference. I've had to cancel 2 vet appointments because I could'nt locate her, and I am out of ideas!!

Time and love...

Next time she has a dr appointment lock her in the bathroom or some place where you'll be able to find her in the morning. Give her food and a soft bed she'll be fine there over night. Close the lid on the toilet though..

Give her time. We adopted a cat from a shelter many, many years ago. We brought Topaz home on July 5th. She almost instantly decided to hide upstairs under our daughter's bed. Wouldn't come out no matter what we did to try to coax her. Frustrated, we put a mat with food and water under Nicole's bed and a litter box nearby. Months passed. Really.

Then, for no apparent reason, Topaz came downstairs, as if nothing had been unusual, during the Christmas holidays...5 months later. And, as if that wasn't puzzling enough, she joined the family at the time when my brother, his wife and 3 young sons were visiting us. Our house was filled with 4 adults and 8 children, one of whom received a toy drum set from Santa.

Cats are unusual creatures. Just love her and give her time.

She will adjust . Maybe you can play with her with some toy . I find that helps with bonding.

Treats....offer treats. Those should smoke her out.

Also, you need to play with her more. Let her get use to being held, scritchied etc.

I have had 4 cats and they all have responded to gentle, sweet, caring behavior and silliness.

Will she respond to toys, e.g. catnip mouse, a piece of yarn pulled along the floor, a laser pointer?

Lee

Since she came from a farm, she probably needs alot of extra time to adjust to being an inside kitty. Just give her time, she'll come out and warm up to you on her own schedule. Kittens and young cats LOVE to run around at night, we called it the midnight crazies. She'll slowly warm up to you and your wife and eventually she'll be snuggling up with you as much as possible.
Congrats on the new addition!

Your cat seems perfectly normal to me. Cats are nocturnal. They spend an average of 16 hours each day sleeping. Some cats are hiders. They will hide for just about any reason. Over time your cat may change after getting more used to you, but this may just be the way it is too. She may just always hide during the day and come out at night.

Like everyone else here said, don't give up yet. Cats are odd and do things their own way. I have a cat that was about a year old when I got him. He had been a semi-feral cat when my daughter rescued him so I expected him to be a little spooky. Well, he hid in the fireplace flue for almost a month, only venturing out at night.

I had finally decided that I was going to give him back to my daughter because I felt so sorry for him being that terrified! But when I tried to get him out of the fireplace, he darted upstairs and hid under my bed. So I put a catbox and food and water in there and kept him shut up in there. I made it a point to pet him and talk to him many times throughout the day. And I also bribed him with stinky tuna. (Cats definitely respond to bribery of the food variety.)

Anyway, I've had him for over 3 years and he has just begun to come downstairs during the day when there are lots of people down there. 3 years! So give it time, keep him in a small space if possible for a while until he begins to feel secure in there, and bribe him with smelly foods.

Good luck and post a pic, if you can ever catch him long enough!

Do you have any other cats? Did she have friends where she was?? Cats/kittens are happier when they have friends.

My cat had four kittens and the person that answered my ad made me feel so much better when he wanted two because he knew kittens were better in pairs. Yours could be looking for a friend especially if she had friends where she was. I can send you a kitten if you want. He's not pretty, but he's got a great personality (see my gallery) ~ kidding because that would be mean to mail a cat somewhere. But the truth is, cats and kittens need friends.

I do not agree with this. Sure some want and need friends, but others want and need to be away from all other animals. Just like people, each cat and their needs are different.
Interesting. Even my vet here and in Cali and the one my DD interned for said cats are pack animals ~ look at big cat behaviour in the wild. Tigers and lions live in prides where only the ostracized live alone. It's their nature to live in groups. A lion on his own in the wild usually dies. House cats are just small lions and tigers. They need a friend to play with, fight with, and learn natural cat behaviours with.

I was going to ask if any other pets in the house ? or little kids?? WE have 5 cats at the moment. 4 are great, the 5th ( shirley) doesnt want to have anything to do with us. She is a bit skittish, cautious, hesitant, does things %100 on her own terms. Her littermate " lenore" is the opposite, so who knows. Finally, shirley is becoming more social ( after a year). She is more social in one of our rooms than any other. And then there was Phrank, it took him about 5 years to become social. The second half of his life he was great. Anytime we went into the theater, he would join us for a movie. I miss watching movies without him ( phrank passed away last summer)

Interesting. Even my vet here and in Cali and the one my DD interned for said cats are pack animals ~ look at big cat behaviour in the wild. Tigers and lions live in prides where only the ostracized live alone. It's their nature to live in groups. A lion on his own in the wild usually dies. House cats are just small lions and tigers. They need a friend to play with, fight with, and learn natural cat behaviours with.
Cats are not just small lions and tigers. They are domesticated animals that are much different from wild animals. Many cats live alone. They do not need a friend live and play with, fight with, or learn natural cat behavior with. Most of what they need to know is instinctual. Just ask any of the millions of people who one only one cat who is happy and well adjusted.

Cats are not just small lions and tigers. They are domesticated animals that are much different from wild animals. Many cats live alone. They do not need a friend live and play with, fight with, or learn natural cat behavior with. Most of what they need to know is instinctual. Just ask any of the millions of people who one only one cat who is happy and well adjusted.
If you say so.

Felines are felines. Instinct is instinct. And, according to all my sources, socialization is key to a truly happy cat. Why you feel the need to argue that, with someone with 5 cats and extensive dealings with rescue tigers, baffles me. Felines, large and small, have certain instinctive behaviours, pack / pride behaviour IS one of those behaviour traits. Are you against people having more than one animal at a time?

:) What I do when I get a wild cat is to just lay on the floor where the cat is hiding but pretty much ignore it but with hand extended and some tuna eventually the cat will come out but you need to let it do it on it's own terms if it's a tom the minute he lets you pet him he will be putty in your hands. I truly believe when you lay on the floor you are less threatening and they will slowly learn to trust you it may take several times a day but it can work:)

And, according to all my sources, socialization is key to a truly happy cat.
There are many other factors to having a truly happy cat. Just ask any of the millions of people who have a happy single cat.
Why you feel the need to argue that, with someone with 5 cats and extensive dealings with rescue tigers, baffles me.
When you post blanket statements that are not true then I will point it out. You may have 5 cats, but I have had one cat. I have had multiple single cats as well as cats in pairs and more. Your statements have been completely untrue from my first hand experience and since the OP is looking for advice then I do feel it is necessary that he get accurate info from all sides. Just because your personal experience has been that your cats like to have a friend does not mean that is true for every cat out that. I am telling you from first hand experience it is not true. Why you feel the need to argue that is beyond me.
Are you against people having more than one animal at a time?
I never said that nor did I imply it or even come close to suggesting it. I, myself, have had multiple animals at the same time. I have no issue with it at all. I am an animal lover, always have been and always will be. I was simply saying that you made a blanket statement and it does not hold true for every cat. You can argue your point all you want, but I have first hand experience that says you are incorrect and so do millions of other people.

Back
Top Bottom