"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Finally Caught a Break

2 days ago, we lost water to the house. I was hoping it was just the pressure control switch, which is only about %15. So, we replace the switch and it didn't resolve the issue. The well pump still wasn't pumping water to the house. I was afraid that maybe the pump went bad, which would have cost about 4 to 5 hundred dollars. The other possibility, or so I thought was thatwiring from the house, connected to the wiring to the pump cold have gone bad, rubbing agaoins the casing from the pump torque-twist, and shorted out against the casing. The only way to determine the failure was to pull the pump from 90 feet down.

My son enlisted the help from one of his friends, and with my electrical knowledge and troubleshooting skills, we found that the neither the pump, nor wiring was bad. What had happened is that the pipe clams, had loosened up from the pump connector to the hose that carried the water up the casing and into the house. The pump was working, but was just pumping water right back into the well.

My son is purchasing new pipe clamps, hermetic, non-solder connectors, and new rope to carry the weight of the pump. He will be back in about a half hours, and will put it all back together.

In two days, we had to purchase about 20 gallons of water to keep the house running. But we will again have running water on the house tonight. And, it dint cost me several hundred dollars for the fix. I needed a break. I got it. Prayers are answered, IMO.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Welcome back Chief. It's nice to know that you are like DH. You both can fix things that go wrong around the house. Good going!!!!!!

cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Whew, what a pain. I'm glad you and your son were able to figure out the problem without having to spend a truckload of money. Good to see you back!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yay for figuring out the problem. Don't you have a hand pump somewhere? If not, maybe consider installing one.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

More good news, the wounds on my feet are all healed. The last one though still has very young and tender skin on it, and will need abort 2 weeks before I can walk on it. Then, because IO
I've been fighting this for so long, I've lost strength and will need to build back some of the muscle I've lost. But, I'm good at that, when my body allows me to do it. Looking forward to fishing streams and rivers again. Also looking forward to flying out to Denver and spending time with my eldest daughter, when this whole virus thing is done and over with. Maybe, now that all wounds are healed, I can be put on the waiting list for a new kidney. Got to get my phosphorous levels under control still. Potassium levels are good. Phosphorous levels are more challenging to control. But ey, I was superman before. Now I'll just haw to settle for grandpa superman.

Seeeeeya; Chievf Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That's wonderful news about your feet. Keep up the good work.