Finished!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw them for the first time, last Saturday - not sure when they were put back into production.... I have had to content myself with a pallid version of them that Fortnum's sell.... at an OUTRAGEOUS sum... YAAAAY, Christmas traditions rule, eh? :ROFLMAO:

I've got them Ishbel! Thanks again....I got three packs to try and squash in. DH has never had them!

I always used to have them available at Christmas - so it'll be good to get back that tradition. I might even treat myself to one this year as a special treat!

Wow lulu, you managed to accomplish the mission impossible! That's a good thing though, now you are finally together with Michael in Milano you can just sit back and enjoy the festivity!!

Buon viaggio, e buon feste!!

lulu said:
Katie, your lucky family! I have been after a particular knitted toy, having seen some beautiful vintage ones, and I keep smiling at my mother about it and hinting, but unless I learn to knit I think I'll have to go without!

I have tons of knitted toy patterns, lulu. What toy are you looking for?

Last edited by a moderator:
I always loved Christmas shopping. I didn't have much time for it when I was running the greenhouses, because I was busy in the shop, but I ordered a lot of things out of catalogues.
But all our kids and grandkids want is money, so that's what we give them, along with a little something to open. I guess money always fits.

mudbug said:
OK, lulu and Izzy - you must 'splain to the rest of us what these longed-for wonderful Chocolate Bath Oliver thingies are.

Yes, please!

Bath olivers are a very plain but luxurious cracker for cheese. They are quite thick and round and, as I say, perferctly plain. Chocolate Olivers are crackers wearing a very thick coat of dark chocolate...They were an essential in gift hampers for the upper middle classes for YEARS. They are an austere luxury, because they are not over sweet or fancy- very British! They come in tins, always, never boxes or packets. I remember as a little girl, when I was brought to London to see the Nutcracker or Peter Pan in the run up to Christmas, we would shop for a few staples, which would include a tin or two of Chocolate Olivers. Then, all of a sudden, a few years ago they STOPPED! It was a tragedy seen as proof by my mother's generation of the certain war against the upper middle classes! We heard in the retail press two years ago they were on the way back, but had not seen them until Ishbel, and Waitrose, made my Christmas.

Edited to add: they must not be a shop's own brand, even if dear Ishbel tried to get Fortnums own it has to be Huntley and Palmer. For those that do not know, Fortnum and Masons is a beautiful luxury food hall in London, much nicer but a little smaller then the more internationally recognised Harrods Food Halls. Fortnums also does lovely teas, and its again, a childhood memory, of beinng taken there on shopping days when we had flown to London and being aloud to choose a cake from the cake stand brought to the table.

Last edited:
I remember when I was living and working in London, going to Fortnum & Mason's for afternoon tea - and Adam Faith, ex-singer and then money magnate (which he lost, I believe) - used to use one of the tea tables to conduct his business... didn't matter which day of the week you went in, there he was... holding court and using a mobile phone the size of a brick!

My family lived all over the world, both when I was a child and then when I married, my husband and I also travelled. A tin of Bath Olivers were sent to us, wherever we lived... the condition in which the contents arrived, often left a little to be desire.

That THICK, dark, unctuous choc on the absolutely plain cracker.... cannot be duplicated. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom