First World Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welp, after reading through this thread, I'm pretty much thinking that our "First World Problems" are nothing more than another name for Petty Vents.

Maybe you've got a bad case of electronic social media overload. News feeds on sites such as Facebook or Twitter seem to emphasize the topics that upset, excite, or cause arguments. I suggest you unplug, put the tablet/laptop/phone down, and read a real, paper-paged, bound book. Mystery, humor, classic, science, food - doesn't matter. Just take a break from the internet. Your nerves will thank you.

Maybe you'll find something in this thread that sounds interesting to you: Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

Books, the best thing ever invented. I have a new cookbook to read, thanks to a friend...The Joy of Cooking, 1962 edition. She knows what I like to read.

Welp, after reading through this thread, I'm pretty much thinking that our "First World Problems" are nothing more than another name for Petty Vents.

Maybe you've got a bad case of electronic social media overload. News feeds on sites such as Facebook or Twitter seem to emphasize the topics that upset, excite, or cause arguments. I suggest you unplug, put the tablet/laptop/phone down, and read a real, paper-paged, bound book. Mystery, humor, classic, science, food - doesn't matter. Just take a break from the internet. Your nerves will thank you.

Agreed 100%.

I limit myself to an hour a day of current news analysis. After an hour of MSNBC, you're ready to build a bomb shelter.

My bank won't allow me to deposit cash into my wife's checking account.

Why would they do that? Cash is still legal tender.

From Kayelle, Joel, I found out about this product right here many years ago and we wouldn't be without it. Nothing else worked with our terrible hard water and this stuff is worth it's weight in gold.
Everything comes out sparkle clean and I'm not exaggerating.
https://www.lemishine.com/products/detergent_booster/

The main ingredient is citric acid. This is also the first ingredient in Lemon Koolaid which some people use. Citric acid is a powder and can be purchased on Amazon. I keep it handy for cheesemaking. A quarter of a teaspoon is all that you need in the rinse.

from Bliss:
The main ingredient is citric acid. This is also the first ingredient in Lemon Koolaid which some people use. Citric acid is a powder and can be purchased on Amazon. I keep it handy for cheesemaking. A quarter of a teaspoon is all that you need in the rinse.

I knew the magic of Lemi Shine was citric acid, but I never would have thought to purchase powdered citric acid on line. Thanks for the tip, it's gotta be cheaper than Lemi Shine!

from Bliss:

I knew the magic of Lemi Shine was citric acid, but I never would have thought to purchase powdered citric acid on line. Thanks for the tip, it's gotta be cheaper than Lemi Shine!

Yep Yep, it's about half price compared to lemi shine, and those koolaid packets can be found for 10 cents, 10 for a dollar too. Unfortunately for citric acid you have to find it in bulk for a good price. Citric acid is useful for other things too. Any toilets and sinks stained with hardwater can be cleaned with it. When making certain cheeses citric acid is the acidifier.

I use citric acid and baking soda to make a killer cheese sauce. I mean seriously, if you haven't tried this, you haven't lived. Take Modernist Cuisine's Nacho Cheese Sauce For A Spin - Food Republic

I often think of my kitchen as my chemistry lab. :LOL: DH asked me why we can't have grand daughter visit, she's 4. I think we are somewhat dangerous with our chemicals having them in cabinets without child proof locks.

Yep Yep, it's about half price compared to lemi shine, and those koolaid packets can be found for 10 cents, 10 for a dollar too. Unfortunately for citric acid you have to find it in bulk for a good price. Citric acid is useful for other things too. Any toilets and sinks stained with hardwater can be cleaned with it. When making certain cheeses citric acid is the acidifier.

I use citric acid and baking soda to make a killer cheese sauce. I mean seriously, if you haven't tried this, you haven't lived. Take Modernist Cuisine's Nacho Cheese Sauce For A Spin - Food Republic

I often think of my kitchen as my chemistry lab. :LOL: DH asked me why we can't have grand daughter visit, she's 4. I think we are somewhat dangerous with our chemicals having them in cabinets without child proof locks.
Love that cheese sauce thing. I don’t make it often, probably for the exact reason that congealed gloppy cheese sauce was something I thought to be unavoidable!

Love that cheese sauce thing. I don’t make it often, probably for the exact reason that congealed gloppy cheese sauce was something I thought to be unavoidable!

I always wondered how and why cheese melts in fondue, which we eat about once a year. It's the acid in the white wine that helps and the water in the wine also creates an environment where cheese can melt. What is really remarkable about the citric acid and baking soda solution, is that even with cheeses that don't melt well, it melts into the sauce. Since I've been making cheese, I have some cheeses that don't melt which is frustrating. But in the citric acid and baking soda solution, it does magically melt. I find that amazing.

My bank won't allow me to deposit cash into my wife's checking account.

Why would they do that? Cash is still legal tender.

All major banks are doing that now. You can deposit cash into your own account only, and not anyone else's, not even your spouse or your children's. They are also starting to restrict people from making credit card payments by cash.

I'm sure they're trying to make money laundering more difficult which makes a lot of sense.

All major banks are doing that now. You can deposit cash into your own account only, and not anyone else's, not even your spouse or your children's. They are also starting to restrict people from making credit card payments by cash.

I'm sure they're trying to make money laundering more difficult which makes a lot of sense.

Just joking here but citric acid is good for cleaning money. A JOKE.:LOL:

We have joint accounts in case anything happens to him or myself. I am having a different problem. If DH goes to our joint account and sets up a transfer between joint accounts, he signs a form. Then the bank requires me to come in, in person, and also sign that form. Which is a problem because I don't like to go to the bank. So I can go online to that same account and set up a transfer without two people physically going to the bank. It makes no sense and it worries me that if something happened to either of us, they would restrict access to our accounts.

We have joint accounts in case anything happens to him or myself. I am having a different problem. If DH goes to our joint account and sets up a transfer between joint accounts, he signs a form. Then the bank requires me to come in, in person, and also sign that form. Which is a problem because I don't like to go to the bank. So I can go online to that same account and set up a transfer without two people physically going to the bank. It makes no sense and it worries me that if something happened to either of us, they would restrict access to our accounts.

You should be able to do this online without even setting foot in the bank.
My parents have online access to their various joint accounts and they regularly move money from one account to another, even between different banks.
Either you or your spouse can move money between your joint accounts.

My parents have online access to their various joint accounts and they regularly move money from one account to another, even between different banks.

While I agree with you 100%, I sat and listened to a phone call my husband was having with the bank manager, on speaker, she saying that I had to sign the form for the transfer. She said if we didn't comply, then she couldn't set up the transfer. I explained to my husband at that point that she should cancel the transfer which was to happen once a month, and I'd take care of it online. There shouldn't be two sets of rules one for in person signed requests (requiring two people to physically attend) and another for online requests (requiring one login to the online account). Joint accounts are joint accounts requiring only one person on the joint account to make changes. I'm afraid to make trouble and complain, will only make things worse, even though the bank manager was wrong.

We made an in person new account we wanted to use only for medical needs. I found out that the new account was not available for transferring money into, online. I asked online that they connect the accounts so we could transfer money. They ignored my request. DH then went to the bank and had them connected (without my signature) which I wanted done.

I wonder if I need to stand on my head and spit nickles to get the banks to just follow their own rules. It's infuriating.

I can do the same with all my bank accounts, too. I've also set it up so I can transfer money online to my daughter's account. Between that and the capability to deposit checks and accept payments using my smartphone, I haven't had to physically set foot in a bank in almost two years.

While I'm in no way offended, I think asking people to categorize their minor woes in a certain way is a bad idea.

At best it's bragging.

Do you know how long it took Casey to text Psycho-poodle that he didn't go to NJ to get some Taylor Ham today?

One thing that is NOT a first-world problem is that I can get Taylor Pork Roll at the Kroger near my house. :yum:

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom