Flavoured beer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joachim

Assistant Cook
Hello,

as a German I like my beer pure. Also I know that Frenchmen usually look down on beer. (The last time I saw a Frenchman drinking beer instead of wine he explained that to me by quoting Nietsche: "What doesn't kill me makes me harder.")

Recently I learned flavoured beer had become popular in France. They produce even beer which tastes like chocolate. (To me that sounds like roast of wild boar with white chocolate sauce, a dish allegedly served in the UK.)

Unfortunately I cannot get hold of that kind of French beer because among its ingredients there are stabilisers which are forbidden in Germany.

What do you think? Have you even tasted beer with fancy flavours?

Maybe in Canada?

Last edited:
Although flavoured craft beers are the current rage in the United States, I, like you, prefer beer flavoured beer, just like I prefer coffee flavoured coffee. I don't even let the bartender put a slice of lime in the neck of my Corona bottle.

That said, the company I consult with is currently marketing multiple products that can be used by professional and amateur craft brewers to flavour their beers, so although I may not agree with flavouring beers, I was obligated to write the copy for their Brewers Guide.

I've had a nice chipotle craft beer. Blueberry beer. But, they still tasted like beer. There was just a subtle flavour in the background. The closest I've been to a really flavoured beer is a radler.

I don't drink. But I have to ask "why?" Why do they have to mess around with a product that has been with us since the beginning of time. And nobody complained about the product in all those centuries.

Regarding France, I wonder how they would feel if other countries started to mess with flavoring their wines. Chocolate wine. Certainly doesn't sound appealing.

I have a lot of friends that drink beer, not to even get a buzz on, but because they enjoy the taste. They take it slowly and enjoy eat sip. Sometimes to hear them talk, you would think they had just discovered the nectar of the gods. I doubt they would find chocolate in their beer a great additive. :angel:

The only chocolate beer I'm familiar with is a style called "chocolate stout." It normally contains no chocolate, but rather the name comes from the flavor of the roasted malt. I've had some of these before and have to say they are not bad.

There are even a few chocolate stouts made in Germany.

Kraft-Br?u Chocolate Stout
Zwönitzer Chocolate Stout
Spital Manufaktur Chocolate Stout

Surprisingly, Chocolate and Beer are considered a good pairing. I've seen several classes offered. So I guess I wouldn't knock it without trying it.

Beer and Chocolate Pairing- Where to Start? | Mendocino Brewing
Serious Beer Pairings: Chocolate and Beer for Valentine's Day | Serious Eats

And as for Chocolate Wine... yes, there already is such a thing. Several of them, actually.

http://www.chocolatrougewine.com/

Last edited:
I'm Danish and Swedish. I have no interest in flavoured beer. Sounds wrong to me. Sounds like something made for children. ;)

I don't drink beer, but there are many varieties out there already. When we visited one of our former exchange students in Germany, his father took us to a beer market. Germans have different beers for every season and it's a different style from many American beers. I don't think there's anything wrong with experimenting with new flavors. If some people like it, why not?

I have tried a few beers at one of our local craft breweries, including one with a chocolate background flavor. I don't think they actually add chocolate to it.

Last edited:
The only chocolate beer I'm familiar with is a style called "chocolate stout." It normally contains no chocolate, but rather the name comes from the flavor of the roasted malt. I've had some of these before and have to say they are not bad.

There are even a few chocolate stouts made in Germany.

Kraft-Br?u Chocolate Stout
Zwönitzer Chocolate Stout
Spital Manufaktur Chocolate Stout

Surprisingly, Chocolate and Beer are considered a good pairing. I've seen several classes offered. So I guess I wouldn't knock it without trying it.

Beer and Chocolate Pairing- Where to Start? | Mendocino Brewing
Serious Beer Pairings: Chocolate and Beer for Valentine's Day | Serious Eats

And as for Chocolate Wine... yes, there already is such a thing. Several of them, actually.

ChocolatRouge - Chocolate and Red Wine - The Perfect Combination

I wonder if Sam Adams is going to be trying this next. Each year they bring out a new beer that is for sale for only a month or two. :angel:

Yes. A double chocolate stout is delicious. It doesn't taste like chocolate, though. It tastes like stout.

Sauerkraut beer

While I worked in Munich in a "Mexican" restaurant I loved to drink Corona with a slice of lemon. Recently when I was at home I missed that drink and since I couldn't get hold of any Mexican beer I took normal German beer. Then I searched for lemons but couldn't find any neither. So I put sauerkraut juice :idea: into my beer. I like it. If you want to ask me which brands of sauerkraut juice are great don't hesitate to ask. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom