Foie Gras Ban?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this is one of those areas where the government does not belong.

If you, as an individual, are opposed to eating foie gras for reasons of morality, humanity or taste, you can demonstrate your feelings by not eating it.

If you like foie gras and choose to order it from time to time, you should have the ability to order it at any restaurant that offers it.

Thus, if overwhelming public sentiment is that you don't eat foie gras, restaurants won't carry it because they cannot sell it. It becomes an economic decision forced by independent public opinion. That's the way it should be.

If a governmental body bans foie gras, what's next? Do they then move on to veal? Would a predominantly Jewish or Muslim government (in the US) ban pork? Maybe a vegetarian community would ban the eating of all meats.

Ridiculous? Yes...for now.

I do not know a lot about the production for foie gras. I knew that it involved force feeding to increase the liver size though. After reading this article where they talk about a metal tube being jammed down the throat, well that got to me.

I think as long as it is legal to produce foie gras then any restaurant that wants to serve it should be able to do so.

From the little that I know of it's production though, I think it should be illegal to make. There is no doubt in my mind that the force feeding should be considered animal cruelty.

I eat neither foie gras or veal, simply on the grounds of disliking the methods by whch they are produced. However, as both are perfectly legal, I can see no reason to force everyone else to see things from my point of view.

After all, I eat haggis..... which I know is offputting to many:)

Last edited:
I had to look it up and see what this thing in discussion could be... oh my god this is awful, and if I had a control over this issue, I would surely ban the production. If one has to consume something at the expence of a life of a living thing, this should be executed in a way as humane as possible... torturing them for as long as a month is, in my opinion out of question. To judge it just put yourself in their shoes, or feathers and think... :ohmy:

Ishbel said:
I eat neither foie gras or veal, simply on the grounds of disliking the methods by whch they are produced. However, as both are perfectly legal, I can see no reason to force everyone else to see things from my point of view.

After all, I eat haggis..... which I know is offputting to many:)

I'm with Ishbel (on the foie gras and veal, not the haggis!:) ).

Well, I think their intentions are good but they're going about it the wrong way. Instead of banning the end product they should be passing laws regulating production. Perhaps in favor of "free-range" geese or geese produced by other more humanitarian farming methods.

By banning the end product at the local/state level you are simply forcing sales to shift from one region to another where such sales are allowed. Further, by forcibly restricting sales in those areas you are increasing the existing stock of goose liver at the slaughter houses thus driving the prices down in the saleable areas which in turn would just increase the demand as it becomes more affordable to the lower and mid-level income classes.

By regualting the industry within the United States in favor of more traditional farming techniques you eliminate the problem at it's source, at least within our jurisdiction. Further this would drive price of the end product back up to current levels and even create a new market base among those who enjoy the product, but dislike the method of production.

When I initially opened the post, I expected to see that the ban was imposed due to fears of the Avian Flu, another caveat that could be looming on the horizon.

God Bless

~ Raven ~

{Edited to add}

I just realized, regulating the farming techniques would encourage goose farmers to seek hybredization programs to breed larger geese. Thus, hypothetically, the farmer could harvest a liver equal in size to those currently being harvested in a more humane manner and avoid the horribly cruel process currently being utilized.

Last edited:
I can see both sides on this one.

Why is cruelty to animals ok in this instance? Those birds really suffer.

After I saw the gruesome footage of fois gras production on "A Cook's Tour," I vowed never to eat it again (not that I liked it that much anyway).

You could go after it a different way by preventing fois gras production itself through cruelty to animal laws, but what about the fois gras produced in other countries?

I have a dear friend who grew up on a farm in France. Her mother is a brilliant cook and I love visiting. BUT, her mother force-feeds her geese in order to produce foie gras. I HATE seeing those poor geese that can barely walk.. I NEVER watch when they are force fed.

I also watched young calves being readied for market as 'veal'. They drank lots and lots of milk in order that the meat be very pale.

Frankly, I prefer thin escallopes of pork and I have had lots of friends praise my 'veal' dishes, when I've used pork!

I HATE cruelty to animals. I have eaten only organic meat for the past 15 years or so. It may be more expensive, but I know the livestock is raised ethically, shock and trauma is kept to a minimum.

I LOVE meat, wouldn't want to live without being able to eat it... but there is no reason to make the livestock's lives miserable before they are sacrificed for us to eat.

Last edited:
urmaniac13 said:
I had to look it up and see what this thing in discussion could be... oh my god this is awful, and if I had a control over this issue, I would surely ban the production. If one has to consume something at the expence of a life of a living thing, this should be executed in a way as humane as possible... torturing them for as long as a month is, in my opinion out of question. To judge it just put yourself in their shoes, or feathers and think... :ohmy:
I had to look it up too urmaniac, and agree completely. :(

When hubby and I owned a butcher shop, we never stocked veal, just out of principle. We only sold yearling beef (18-24 months)

On rare occasions we struck some beef that was unusually tough. On contacting the slaughter-house, we were told that if a beast in not killed cleanly (instantly), it becomes very stressed and its muscles contract in the 1-2 seconds it can take for another shot - so to speak. Sorry for being graphic.

So it make me wonder, about taking liver from an animal that has been so stressed for a prolonged period of time. Not to mention the unnecessary cruelty, which is paramount in my opinion. :(

Back
Top Bottom