Food Auctions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I was just reading an article on food actions and it's growing popularity.
"The popularity of the auctions -- which sell leftover or damaged goods from supermarkets, distribution centers and restaurant suppliers".
Sold! Bargain hunters buying groceries at auction - Salt Lake Tribune

What a great idea especially if your lucky enough to have one in your area.
I wouldn't mind paying less for a dented can,or worry too much about the sale by date.
If it's helping to feed hungry families,people on fixed incomes.It's all good.

Munky.

I probably saw that same article in my daily paper this morning, Munky. Interesting, isn't it? We have a store here that sells catalogue surplus items and store overstocks. They've just now begun to sell nonperishable grocery items, too. I wish there was an auction place here for grocery goods. It would be a great way to stretch my budget.

I thought it was very interesting brilliant idea.Online news agencies are picking up on that article and running with it.The local online papers as well.

From what I've gathered, only 9 food auctions exist from Ok to Ny.But the idea is catching on in other states as well.It's slowly getting out.It will just take a little time.

It did get me to thinking.
How we would we get one started in our own areas?
Who would you contact?

It's something that would benefit everyone.

Maybe as the word gets out and locations are found,people on this forum would be kind enough to post where they can be located in their part of the world :)

Munky.

The radio news blurb is making sound like these are springing up as a result of the bad economy.

pfffffft.

I've been to a few over the last 10 years and they have ALWAYS been packed with people. Always.

The radio news blurb is making sound like these are springing up as a result of the bad economy.

pfffffft.

I've been to a few over the last 10 years and they have ALWAYS been packed with people. Always.

I don't listen to the radio unless I'm driving.Watch very little tv..Cuz I'm here :)
This is the first I've heard about them.So I do have a few questions for you.

When you went besides it being a packed crowd,what was being auctioned off?
Was it worth your time?
Did you find great deals?
Are the locations at a set place and time?

I know it's an auction if you can give a few more details that would be great.

Thanks.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom