Food Smells You Cannot Stand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
I worked bakeries for a number of years and have not worked in one for at least 20 years now. I still cannot stand the smell of maple iced donuts, the smell just gags me.

So, what smells get to you?

Fish, and most seafood. I cannot understand how people can eat it with the way it smells. Don't tell me that it's because it isn't fresh, because even very fresh, cold water fish has a distinct smell. Our big farmer's market has an onsite seafood restaurant and the smell of fish and grease makes me a bit queazy, I usually stay away from that part.

I have to agree with cooking cauliflower.

I am not fond of the way seafood smells either, but that doesn't stop me from eating it :yum: It doesn't smell fishy after it's been cooked.

Probably cooked cabbage. It's one food I never ate as a kid because the house would reak of it... usually accompanied with corned beef, another not-too-fond smell. I can't say I like the way it smells today either, but that doesn't stop me from eating it :rolleyes:

How about braunscheiger? Does anyone really like the smell of braunschweiger? That's one food I never liked the smell of, but still liked, even as a kid.

Any canned wet pet food. I can't even stand to look at it. With each of my pregnancies it was bacon. I also can't stand the sulphur smell inside an overcooked hard boiled egg. :angel:

Cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage, overcooked broccoli. If I can smell broccoli, it's over cooked and I want nothing to do with it. Sauerkraut.

Raw chicken. I have to fight not gagging when I prep chicken and sometimes I have to get hubby to rinse it for me or cut it up for me. Liver smells gross. I make hubby brush before I'll kiss him if he's eaten some (for his benefit as much as mine. Who wants their spouse to gag after kissing them?). Fish and seafood is never a like, but isn't always a can't stand. Salt smells yucky and so does sugar. Can't handle the smell of marjoram.

Other than that, the smells that get to me fluctuate. Sometimes I like the smell of raw beef or cooking meat, other times I feel sick when I smell it. Broccoli is fine some days and not others. Same with a lot of other foods. Eggs, ham, bacon, asparagus, milk, popcorn (although microwave popcorn usually smells off to me), cucumbers, oranges, watermelon... The list goes on. They taste fine once they are on my plate and ready to eat though.

Ch..ch... chi chicken! Can't stand the smell, I run around the kitchen like a lunatic trying to escape my fate when I have to cook it lol!

Cheese curls, boiled egg, raw onion, cauliflower and raw whole fish all smell bad to me.

I eat everything but the chicken or raw onion regardless of the smell.

Cooked cabbage, overcooked any kind of brassica. Curry powder - I like curries, just not that yellow stuff called curry powder. We figured out what it is that makes me nauseous from that smell: stale fenugreek.

Cooked cabbage, overcooked any kind of brassica. Curry powder - I like curries, just not that yellow stuff called curry powder. We figured out what it is that makes me nauseous from that smell: stale fenugreek.

Hey, my curry powder resembles that remark ;)

I make my own curry paste and powder. Smells fine. Maybe you should try making your own without fenugreek?

My first husband used to have herring in the can for breakfast. YUK! I couldn't even open the can. :angel:

My all time favorite breakfast is baked potaot and hearing. And I buy the whole fish, head and tail and all. Clean and cut my self. my hands stink after that and I keep washing them all day, but still I love the taste. Weird, huh?

Lemon juice, Charlie. I used to keep a bottle in my tacklebox when I was an avid fisherman. It works well.

I make my own curry paste and powder. Smells fine. Maybe you should try making your own without fenugreek?
I haven't got a lot of use for "curry powder". I do have some garam masala and I buy Patak's curry pastes.

I wouldn't mind having a recipe for that yellow, supermarket curry powder. A number of Danish recipes use it. It wouldn't work with a more authentic curry powder. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom