For the Birds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I've got two feeders in the tree outside my front window. At the moment there are probably about 50 assorted sparrows, chickadees and nuthatches vying for feeder time. Silly birds.

On Friday last week I filled both feeders and on Saturday the "show" was CRAZY! I had birds banging into our window regularly. (No one died, just banged) I must have had about 10 window strikes in a matter of a couple of hours. Very odd.

I noticed a young man deliver something to our mailbox and after a while got off my lazy behind to see what it was. When I read it my jaw dropped open. He'd dropped off a pamphlet about window strikes and bird mortality rates because of them. Included was a shadow cut out of a merlin to stick to my window to prevent the birds from hitting the window. Talk about Twilight Zone time! So I put it up and the birds stopped banging into the window. Til yesterday.

Yesterday I was talking to my sister on the phone and watching the flock of birds in the tree. As we chatted, the birds started banging into the window again! Once, twice, three times in a row! Then they would fly at the window...hover for a moment and fly back to the tree. I mentioned this weird behaviour to my sister and she told me to check the feeders. Sure enough, they were empty. I filled them and the window strikes stopped. WEIRD!

So now I believe the silly things were trying to get my attention to fill the feeders, but holy moly who gets to be the unlucky one to smash himself into the window??? I'm sitting here looking through the leaves trying to see if the birdies play rock/paper/scissors in there...;)

I love bird watching it's so relaxing. We used to have a feeder but we can't keep the little rodents off the feeder. WE are moving to a new house soon and I will come up with a way to keep the feeder squirrel free

I don't mind the squirrels really. But around here those have to be pretty BRAVE squirrels. My magpies and blue jays will run off a squirrel pdq.

Back
Top Bottom