For the guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
OK this is kind of a weird thing to post in a food forum, but you are the people I trust will all sort of things so I am looking for your suggestions here too.

I am growing my beard again. Last time I had a beard I was still in my hippy phase and really did not put too much time or effort into grooming it. This time around I am looking for a more professional look than the scraggly look I had previously. To that end I am in the market for a beard and mustache trimmer. I have been on Amazon looking at different reviews and I can not find one that I feel I can trust. They all seem to have a bunch of great reviews, but also a lot of lousy reviews.

So I come to you, my friends, to find out what you use for a trimmer and if you would recommend it.

Heh heh heh...you're going to laugh, but take this seriously. Get a LADIES trimmer. Really.

Why a ladies trimmer Alix?

And I am guessing a ladies trimmer does not have the beard attachments I would need :LOL:

Heh heh heh...you're going to laugh, but take this seriously. Get a LADIES trimmer. Really.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: My dh uses mine to trim his beard! It's actaully a bikini trimmer :blush: It has 5 settings to adjust how close you want to trim.

Also, if you post a message titled "For the guys", you can expect most of us women-folk to peek at it :LOL: It's like telling a kid not to push any buttons on a control panel of sorts. And you know we have input on everything, EVERYTHING :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I actually sort of did that on purpose Snickerdoodle. I figured that would happen and that I would get some great advice from the ladies as well ;)

GB,

I use this one. Works great for me. Twist and lock length setting so there are no adapters to lose. Vacuums up the hair as it cuts.

Thanks .40. That is one of the ones I was looking at. The bad reviews say the vacuum gets clogged and eats up the battery really fast and also that the blades do a poor job of cutting. Have you noticed any of those problems?

Hoot, that is quite impressive! I am going for a little bit of a shorter look. I do not want to temp my kids with a ladder to climb up my face.

GB,

I use this one. Works great for me. Twist and lock length setting so there are no adapters to lose. Vacuums up the hair as it cuts.

Nice! Maybe it would be a nice christmas gift for dh. My trimmer is purple so maybe he would like a more masculine trimmer :LOL:. So cool that it sucks up the hair while you trim! That would help me out since he always leaves his trimmings in the sink with a few strays on the counter too :glare:

GB, there is wisdom in your words.
Biggest problem I have of that nature is ever' now and then some gal wants to braid my beard. I just don't cotton to that. :LOL:

Yeah I could see my daughter wanting to put braids and barettets and clips and little stuffed animals in it if she could. My son would just use it like tarzan with a vine.

Thanks .40. That is one of the ones I was looking at. The bad reviews say the vacuum gets clogged and eats up the battery really fast and also that the blades do a poor job of cutting. Have you noticed any of those problems?

Hoot, that is quite impressive! I am going for a little bit of a shorter look. I do not want to temp my kids with a ladder to climb up my face.

I've never had any problems with it but I don't use it every day. I only keep a "southern gentleman" mustache.

lol, snicker, i'm guessing your hubby has a goatee.

gb, i have the g380 (you can see it in the link .40 posted).

it does a decent enough job, but then i don't have a very thick beard when i grow one, so i don't need one with much horsepower.

the battery lasts a decent amount of time, and it recharges in the base it's stored in, so that's not an issue. the biggest down side are that the comb attachments that you use to set the length too easily slide from one setting to another.

hth.

Thanks. .40 and BT. That helps. I will not use mine daily either. I will probably be able to get away with once a week or twice at the most.

Tell me more about this Rocklobster. What kind of clippers do you use?

Just your standard barbers clippers for men. They come with plastic attatchments that are used to clip to certain lengths. I use a medium length attatcment and run it over my beard and moustachio in many different directions until I feel I have gotten it all to the same lengths. Then I use little scissors to clean up or, shape the edges. I may do this every two or three weeks. Then I use a regular shaver, every day or two, to shave the rest of my face. I don't have a full beard, though. Just the goatee/stash combo..I couldn't grow one. I could grow a wicked neck beard, but nothing on my face/cheeks.

Attachments

• babyliss-for-men-25-piece-ceramic-clipper-kit.jpg
    babyliss-for-men-25-piece-ceramic-clipper-kit.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Sorry GB, I was driving to work. The reason I suggest the ladies' trimmer is because it has more variety in the lengths it will trim. It goes from VERY short to quite long (not as long as Hoot's though!) and is designed for coarser hair. :rolleyes:

They're a workhorse, and you can get one with a recharging cord so you don't need to worry about batteries. They come in pretty colours too! ;)

140.jpg

Sorry GB, I was driving to work. The reason I suggest the ladies' trimmer is because it has more variety in the lengths it will trim. It goes from VERY short to quite long (not as long as Hoot's though!) and is designed for coarser hair. :rolleyes:

They're a workhorse, and you can get one with a recharging cord so you don't need to worry about batteries. They come in pretty colours too! ;)

140.jpg

That is the one I have too :)

BT, hubby has a short beard usually, sometimes a goatee.

Ken uses this model for his beard (and his head too) and it works very well. Easy to clean, and charges quickly.

Back
Top Bottom