FYI - Wisteria is Toxic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
This is probably well known in warm areas that commonly grow wisteria but I believe, as it is a relatively recent plant in northern climates, a lot of people may not know this.

So I have just found out that Wisteria is Toxic. All parts of the plant. Ingested it will make you very sick - especially a child.

Please check it out on Wikipedia and/or toxic plant sites. Especially if you know there are children with access to these plants.

I only looked it up as I have just come in from working with the vines and suddenly realized my forearms have come out in hives - splotchy red and itchy. No where do the articles remark on external toxicity but seeing as all parts contain a glycoside, wistarine, it is not hard to figure some people may be sensitive to it externally. It also contains the poisonous lectin.

This is probably well known in warm areas that commonly grow wisteria but I believe, as it is a relatively recent plant in northern climates, a lot of people may not know this.

So I have just found out that Wisteria is Toxic. All parts of the plant. Ingested it will make you very sick - especially a child.

Please check it out on Wikipedia and/or toxic plant sites. Especially if you know there are children with access to these plants.

I only looked it up as I have just come in from working with the vines and suddenly realized my forearms have come out in hives - splotchy red and itchy. No where do the articles remark on external toxicity but seeing as all parts contain a glycoside, wistarine, it is not hard to figure some people may be sensitive to it externally. It also contains the poisonous lectin.
Best to assume all plants are dangerous unless you know otherwise and warn any visitors, child or adult, that they must not touch anything in your garden as they may have an adverse reaction. And even better, warn the keepers of any visiting children that THEY are responsible for their children's welfare not you.

Oddly enough, visiting children tend to behave themselves when in my house and garden - can't think why.....

I had large flower gardens while I was boarding horses... and all the poisonous ones went in the bin.
Foxglove (digitalis) - rhododo' amongst them.

I just worried some horse would munch on them. My backwoods paddocks were full of ferns but they seem to leave them alone.
Guess I fed them well. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom