Gas Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
Heard on the news in Pittsburgh PA that gas prices would be going up 75 cents in the next week.

Currently the average is about 3.31/gallon regular unleaded.

My daughter only had $10 to put in her car yesterday, and it made me sick that it didn't even buy 3 gallons. It is around $3.60 here (I'm visiting in North San Diego County), but James said it is still around $3.20 at home (South Carolina). Diesel is up to $4.15 here in California (at least it was late last week--who knows what it is up to now).

:)Barbara

we are at 2.99 here but that was yesterday.
3.09 last week.
I wont even start on how i feel about it, but i may be looking for more 2 ingredient meals that last 3 weeks pretty soon.....

No kidding.. if it goes up any more I
won't be able to afford to drive to work.

75 cents in one week? What on earth did the report refer to for justification? I'm off to fill up the car (it's $3.249 here)

Shortly after the Katrina devastation, gas prices rocketed to 3.15 per gallon almost overnight. It made no sense, considering the excuse the management (and I use that term lightly) used was that the rigs in the gulf were damaged. Was there not a drop in reserve, or are we pulling it out of the ground and directly into our cars? If that were the case, then sure, 3.15 overnight would make sense. Were the rigs in the gulf the only places we get our gas from? All our gas is produced in the gulf? If that's the case, should we not build a big bubble like dome over the gulf, to protect those rigs? What actually happened was management floated a test balloon. Let's see what happens if we use a natural disaster to loonishly raise the price of gas per gallon. If I remember correctly, gas was in the middle $2 range at the time. It skyrocketed before the second week of September. No one said boo. No one cried foul. People just continued to fill up, paying whatever it took. Management was happy. The test balloon was a huge success and reports were produced accordingly. Sure, they lowered it again, and boy, were they not the heros of the day for doing that?

People can bandy about the words supply and demand, but a point was proven. The market could and would withstand exorbitant prices and inflation. Then, slowly, it's been creeping back towards the $3 range, and passed it, a couple of weeks ago. Tbone Pickens (or whatever his name is) assured us, just this morning, that crude oil will never drop below the three digit marker for the remainder of 2008. Gee, considering this is only the third month of 2008, he just told us we've got another 9 months of this, at least. Can anyone say $4.50 with me? Do I hear $5?

What will it take for people to wake up and protest this? What will it take for more fuel efficient vehicles to be created? What will it take to get people who drive gas guzzlers to realize the party is over? When will the air of entitlement end? Where, for the love of peace, is the hue and cry????

With all the sincerity and in all frankness I ask, how can we sleep while our beds are burning?

i work 20 miles away from work.... i am seriously considering walking....
but i could get eaten by a bear on the way.
i think over the length of a year however, the hospital bill would be cheaper than driving.... and my car gets 30 mpg.

I wanna know who lit my bed on fire and why? What did my bed do to them?

Seriously,
What kills me are all the Hummers and full size SUV's being driven around town... with only one person in them....what the??? And the huge 4x4's, exactly what do they think they are going to encounter in suburbia during the average day that they will need that to get thru??
I know we have a lot of pot holes out here... but that seems like overkill there....

Guilty! We have a Tahoe, but we have a boat to pull. It started out as a fishing boat, but has turned into a summer cottage on the water. It's not a status thing for us. A vehicle is a tool, and in our case we need a heavy duty tool. The mid-size SUVs don't offer any fuel efficiencies over the full size, by the way. We travel from here to UP very often and I can't say there's an inch of extra space when we have the kids and our stuff packed up, not to mention pets. And yes, we have literally gotten stuck in the snow, unable to move, when we traveled in cars. If you haven't been to Michigan's UP, it really is the Great White North! Look at a map of Michigan ... my parents are very Eastern Central ... 26 miles from Lake Superior shoreline and 40 miles from Lake Michigan. You can imagine when two storms collide ... you NEED 4x4, trust me!

But we do try to use the car for the majority of our commuting outside of those trips, as it gets MUCH better gas mileage! I really don't our vehicle choices are about "entitlement" but if I work two jobs and choose to haul a boat all summer instead of spending a week or two in the Carribean, at least my vacation dollars stay here in the USA! (I was trying to find a bright spot in my argument).

But the thing is AMSeccia, you have a reason for owning an SUV, a legitimate use for it. Its the ones that live in Chicago and suburbs, dont haul anything with em, and dont go into snow areas that bug me...

I don't even have a car but feel so sorry for those working on minimum wage when we have some politicians who were and are against rasing the minimum wage yet vote to give themselves raises. How can minimum wage workers deal with this and afford to drive to work? Even the middle class is having a hard time. The answerI suppose is to have a president who gives a you-know-what and really does something about this. We'll never see gas prices go below $3.00 again though and now the summer is upon us and prices will go even higher. It always does in spring and summer.
Politicians who support the gas companies more than they support Americans suffering under these prices are more concerned with the monies they get for their political campaigns from these companies and those associated with them. The crunch has nothing to do with so-called entitlements either. We're in a war, a reckless war that should have never been fought with billions spent every month for a hopeless cause and it goes on and on like the Energizer battery. All that money poured into a dark endless pit.

Just remember when gas is 6.00 a gallon you will remember the good ol' days of now.

Just remember when gas is 6.00 a gallon you will remember the good ol' days of now.

I remember when the average price was 19.9 cents/gallon and during a "price war" you could get it for as cheap as 11.9 (1960's).

I don't have to wait for gas to get to $6/gal to remember the good old days.

It's our dependence on gas that is making it so high. We need it, they know they can hike the price and we will still buy it. I really like luxury cars and what not, but for me, it has come to what is best for the environment and how can I reduce my dependence on gas. I work from home 2 to 4 days a week. To save gas, to help cut emissions, and to reduce my dependence on gas. I know there are jobs that your physical presence is required. But even then, there are options. Lots of them.

I don't get the large gas guzzling vehicles that most feel that they need to have. I know some folks have a valid need for them. But even then I would have to re evaluate what I really need and what I can do without.

I can go on on about this... gas, debt (I truly think folks need to live within their means instead of running up CC debt.)

I guess my thought is stop complaining about it and do something. I don't think the price of gas is going to get better.

Apologies to anyone I may have teed off, that is not the intent.

Last edited:
I live on ssi which is not much as most all ready know and I drive small Nissan truck and for it's age get 25mpg. That being said I can barely afford to go get grocerys when needed. Some thing has got to give, when you can't afford to drive to the store for supplys

Just wanted to clarify what I mean when I say entitlement. With the exception of the limited energy crisis of the 70s, Americans have not been asked to sacrifice anything at all since WWII. Prior to that, it was the Depression of the 30s. My point is entire generations have grown up not knowing what it means to save a little something for the next guy or for a rainy day. There are resources in the world that, as a nation, for the most part, we feel belong to us. Statistically, we are the biggest consumers of just about everything on the planet.
Like others have said, some people really do need to drive an SUV. Those people are in the minority, however. Most drive them because they want to.

Just wanted to clarify what I mean when I say entitlement. With the exception of the limited energy crisis of the 70s, Americans have not been asked to sacrifice anything at all since WWII. Prior to that, it was the Depression of the 30s. My point is entire generations have grown up not knowing what it means to save a little something for the next guy or for a rainy day. There are resources in the world that, as a nation, for the most part, we feel belong to us. Statistically, we are the biggest consumers of just about everything on the planet.
Like others have said, some people really do need to drive an SUV. Those people are in the minority, however. Most drive them because they want to.

well said. the "me generation" has become "me world".

There are some things that you can do. I am sorry that I do not yet have enough posts to allow me to post URL'S, but, go to www. gasbuddy. com and you can find the least expensive places in your area to buy fuel. Sign up on the site and participate. Reward those that charge us less.

Try to work at least some mass transit into your life, if it is available.

Most of all vote. Whoever is in must go out. They are not working. If the leaders really fealt accountable to the people, they would act.

Our continued apathy allows this to happen.

BTW, we are still paying less than the world price for gas.

Back
Top Bottom