Gasoline Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 948cc engine with a 5 speed transmission sounds like it could have been quite economical.
your counting reverse gear in your five, the moggy I had was a saloon the wood trimmed estate was a bit rare even then although my Mum's hairdresser Nelly had one,Nelly got her licence in the 40's before they invented the driving test, she never used the indicators which were little yellow arms that shot up out of its sides.
Ps you had to double de-clutch to run smoothly down the box as the synchromesh was poor.:)

Double clutching is a great way to go from fourth to second in a hurry when approaching a corner fast :)
Double clutching allows you to skip a gear, even going up. You take it out of gear, let the clutch out, rev the engine, then depress the clutch again and quickly shift it into the gear you want while the revs are still up. It basically allows the engines RPMs to match the gear you want without going through the normal procession of gears. And it smooths things out.

I drove a standard for years and have heard of double clutching, but I have no idea what it means.

For the past 50 years (at least), manual transmissions have had a feature called synchromesh. This allows you to shift gears without double clutching.

Double clutching involves an extra in and out of the clutch between shifts to get the gears spinning at the same speed so they will mesh together without grinding. This SYNCHROnizes the gear speeds so they MESH easily.

Tax to change down on a stick shift, put the clutch in move the stick to neutral, release the clutch, blip the throttle to increase the revs, engage the clutch and move the stick to the lower gear, its quite easy and learning how to heel and toe helps:)

and is this double clutching business helpful in normal driving? Should I be doing this? Or only if I'm trying to downshift in a hurry? I've driven a manual for 3 1/2 years now and never done this before.

and is this double clutching business helpful in normal driving? Should I be doing this? Or only if I'm trying to downshift in a hurry? I've driven a manual for 3 1/2 years now and never done this before.

Completely unnecessary with modern manual transmissions.

I wouldn't say it's useful in "normal" driving. Not with a modern vehicle, because like Andy pointed out, they all have syncromesh transmissions now.
But if you ever need to get somewhere in a hurry and want to approach a corner fast and be able to accelerate out quickly and upshift right away to get back up to speed quickly, double clutching is the way to go.

I wouldn't say it's useful in "normal" driving. Not with a modern vehicle, because like Andy pointed out, they all have syncromesh transmissions now.
But if you ever need to get somewhere in a hurry and want to approach a corner fast and be able to accelerate out quickly and upshift right away to get back up to speed quickly, double clutching is the way to go.

Is this about physics or law enforcement:LOL:

What do you drive?

I drive fairly aggressively (in a safe and responsible way) and have never needed it. I've had American, German and Japanese cars with manual transmissions and never had syncromesh fail to do the job without delay.

Is this about physics or law enforcement:LOL:

If the physics is with you, the law enforcement wont be ;)

Andy, what I drive now is a 2011 Ram Sport. It must have been from all those Dodge banner ads because I just bought it a week ago. :rolleyes:

What I used to drive the H out of, back in the day, was a '79 Z-28, built. And a Talon quite a bit after that, but I used to drive other vehicles fast, too. Even work trucks. If you've ever downshifted too quickly, even with synchromesh, you know you can lock up the rear tires. Double clutching prevents that.

Double-clutching was the way I "rocked and rolled" when I had my '67 MGB Roadster--especially on days like today....SOB, I want my MBG back!!!!

Next week we'll teach you how to get up behind someone in a corner, get them loose, and put 'em into the wall.

:LOL:
you must have raced go-karts I used to love to outbreak and "pit" the opposition:)
In the 60's our class 4 had a straight crash g/box so heel and toeing when ddc was required.:cool:

$4.00/gal for 87 here in Western Massachusetts.

My 2006 Nissan Xterra with a 4.0L and 6-SPD Manual gets about 21 MPG.

Our (My Wife's) 2010 Toyota Prius is averaging 50.3 MPG.

We drive the little blue electric razor quite often nowadays... :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom