Getting a beagle puppy for our daughter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z...
To the wood shed with you !! (seems like a good swap to me) LOL.

When my Kevin was a baby I said to John my other son "I need to go change Kevin" He said " change him into a frog.."

LOL Z and Marge! You are nuts! I wouldn't trade my little girl for anything in the world! She's my only princess and I'm going to work so hard to get her this dog. She said it was free but something told me that wasn't quite right...LOL She pulled $2 from her pant pockets and said, "I have money, here's my $2."

Thanks for all of your info about beagles. I love dogs and we will be so happy with this new family member.

Our Duncan (usually called Dunky Bum) is half beagle/half peek-a-poo. He is a sweetie-and-a-half! But it is true--I've known a few beagles in my life, and beagles are definitely barkers! I don't know if it is the interesting combination, but Duncan is definitely spring-loaded! He is a bundle of energy! The curled tail is from his peek-a-poo half. Enjoy your beagle Dina! There are actually websites dedicated just to how to train a beagle. Just google. :cool:

:) Barbara

Attachments

• Duncan4-8-04.jpg
    Duncan4-8-04.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 181
jennyema said:
Our other beagle died in 2002 and we adopted a homeless beagle boy who is now 12.

Incredibly sweet and loving dogs, both. Particularly good with kids.

But they are diggers and runners away, so you need to be very careful to keep them fenced in and/or on a leash. I'd definitely microchip it.

They are obsessed with food.

And they bark and bay. Brewster howls whenever fire trucks go by and he barks and barks at trucks that have low rumbles.

They are a bit hard-headed, one-track mind dogs sometimes (esp. when food is concerned.

I'd do obedience lessons right from the start.

I'm very interested in learning more about the obedience lessons you perform with your dogs. We need all the help we can get to get us ready for our puppy.

Barbara,
Duncan is gorgeous! You must have fun with him.

We got a nice Beagle (free) for my oldest when she was also a pup. He was a sweet and lovable dog, but he did bark...a lot. That's what they do...they flush out rabbits and racoons.
They sure are good with kids, though. I remember one big snow we had, and the kids were sledding down our hill. Happy got out there with them, and showed the kids how to do it "belly down".

texasgirl said:
Awww, Duncan is a cutie, Barbara!! He just looks like he's ready to start jumping around!!
Thanks texasgirl. Jumping, running, dancing, you name it! He even gets up on his doghouse like Snoopy!

Dina said:
Barbara,
Duncan is gorgeous! You must have fun with him.
Thanks Dina. Yes, he is a lot of fun. He is so funny though. There is a stray white dog that hangs out around here (she was dumped nearby a couple years ago and just eats at everyone's houses--she is a sweetie, but extremely skittish). If we put meat or other regular food out for Duncan, he will let her eat first, then he finishes it (if there is anything left!), but if we give him tortillas or bread, he will snap at her and won't let her have any!!!

:) Barbara

LOL, Marge! I'm afraid I'm going to add $248 to my daughter's $2 to get the puppy! We just found out how much they cost today and she was not a happy camper. We're still going to get it for her just not as soon as we hoped. Oh Barbara! I can't wait for my girl to have her little friend to play with too.

Wow! It took us a whole year to decide on this one. We finally got Amanda her puppy yesterday. It's a liver spotted Dalmation, 8 weeks old and she named her Abby. The happiness and surprise was so great that Amanda cried like a baby (and made me cry too). She had been pleading for a puppy for so long.

Last edited:
Abby is a doll-baby! All you need is a Budweiser team. See Abby's cousin sitting up there? :LOL:

clyd_16.jpg

Awww..... she's beautiful. We still have yet to finally commit to getting our youngest a dog too. We were going to last year around Easter time but ultimately decided the time wasn't right. I'm seriously considering taking him the dog pound and letting him pick out a little guy. Someones pretty much here all the time now and I don't see that changing.

Sizz, the pound is a great place to get a dog!

This is our baby Mack. We got him a year ago on Valentine's day from the local Animal Shelter, he was 6 months old then & we fell in love with him. If we had've had the money we would have gotten his brother also.

Attachments

• 42resized2.jpg
    42resized2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 154
We like going to the pet store and I've fallen in love with many adorable puppies but always leave without any in tow because one the cost and two I'd rather save a poor helpless one.

We were the same way Sizz. Mack cost us $70 which covered his shots & being fixed. We couldn't ask for a better dog either, he's a bundle of love & energy!

Beagles have a reputation for "voice" but are wonderful kids' dogs being so sturdy. Any dog can be trained - it's just finding that dog's motivation. The single most important part of any relationship with a dog is exercise as in walks - lots of walks - tired puppys get into much less mischief and walks also help in the leadership arena.

Crate training is a wonderful way to house-break and keep damage at a minimum. Those great Kong toys are for more than just chewing - you can stuff them with peanut butter & other treats and they'll keep a pup busy for quite a while. When he gets really fast at emptying the kong then freeze them to slow him down - also they really help with teething and satisfying his urge to chew.

When you teach a dog tricks - and even basic obedience is a series of tricks - you expand his horizon's and give him more ways to please you which builds his self-confidence. I have a toy poodle and they are considered to be very smart. She loves doing her tricks! Sit, Down, Stay, Come, Sit up (or make yourself pretty), roll over, dance, high five, fetch, sunbathe (where she lays still on her back - I hate the play dead thing) go to: name of person; find (her toys - she knows several of them by name); and even at less than 5 lbs she will go upstairs even in the dark and bring me my slippers one at a time.

Sorry for the long post. Best of luck with your new friend!

Abby cost us $125. If we would have had more cash on us, we would have taken her brother or sister. We are in love with Abby. She's playing and having lots of fun with the kids. We bathe her today, sprayed her so she could smell pretty and she slept like a baby in her bed. Then she woke up hungry and ready to play again. She went for her first walk around the neighborhood. The kids are enjoying her so much. I should have done this a long time ago. Thankfully, we have her now.

Linda,
We have no crate but a tiny washroom with a fench that will work for now. heehee We head back to work and school tomorrow and Abby will be very lonely but we'd rather keep her indoors for safety. I will make time to come and check on her during lunch.

Back
Top Bottom