Getting a beagle puppy for our daughter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
Got a new puppy for our daughter

My daughter could be the happiest kids around right now. We've decided to get her a puppy which she's been asking for for years. She's been reading so much about beagles and how to care for them but if there are any doggie lovers in here, I would welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited:
Beagles can be hard headed. But, with constant no's and good dog, they can be calmed down. My neighbor had one. He was so sweet! They have pretty good temperments, it seems. I bet she is just floating around!! Post a pic when you get him/her.

I should also say that they are not hard to train on everyday things, like, house training. What they can be hard headed about is chewing. Just have something that it can chew on and when you catch it chewing on something that it's not suppose to, take it, tell it no, pointing your finger right at the nose and then give it's toy to it. That's how mine learned what is okay and not okay. KEEP ALL SHOES UP OUT OF IT'S REACH!!

Last edited:
My in laws have a beagle. She is the sweetest most timid dog ever. I do not have any advice to give you, just congratulations. You all are going to be so happy with your new family member!

She is floating right now TXgirl! She said yesterday that it was the happiest day of her life!!! It will be when she gets the doggie. The great thing is that she's getting it for free from her friend's neighbor! Woohoo! All we need to get is the extras and the vet checkup (which usually turn out to be even more expensive than the dog itself).

We're excited too GB! My husband is not so much (since he thinks he'll be stepping on poop when he walks into the backyard...LOL) but we are looking forward to it! I will try to get her a female.

Okay, when she is 6 months, get her fixed!! Unless you plan on breeding her. If not, do this as soon as her 6 months. It is messy and annoying!!

We bought my son a beagle, sweet and loving, but, love to run, they don't like to be cooped up..We had to eventually put ours on a long tie down as he started going to the next road and chasing the new born lambs..While they are a sweet and loving breed, they need a large yard and a lot of exercise.

kadesma:)

Our other beagle died in 2002 and we adopted a homeless beagle boy who is now 12.

Incredibly sweet and loving dogs, both. Particularly good with kids.

But they are diggers and runners away, so you need to be very careful to keep them fenced in and/or on a leash. I'd definitely microchip it.

They are obsessed with food.

And they bark and bay. Brewster howls whenever fire trucks go by and he barks and barks at trucks that have low rumbles.

They are a bit hard-headed, one-track mind dogs sometimes (esp. when food is concerned.

I'd do obedience lessons right from the start.

How wonderful! Get ready for puppy breath and puppy kisses. I love my little guy to pieces.When I'm stressed, all I have to do is hold him and pet him and I calm right down. I have always had a dog in my life and I think I always will.

why don't you go and get yourself a DOG, but not a beagle.... :glare:
I'm sorry for the lovers, but in my opinion they are one of the most stupid dogs in world :cool:
get yourself something nice, probably a Dogge or some mix.....

beagles are good dogs if trained properly, they can be stubborn...
but with any dog they can be trained to follow your commands,ect... they have alot of energy and love to explore,they have quite a nose for it actually... and beagles come in different sizes as well,looking at thier paws as pups will give you an indication how big they will get... good luck in the puppy adventure!!!! :)

All dogs can be stupid!!
I've had them. BUT, if trained right, they will learn just as much as other dogs. A lot of people will see stupid instead of hyper. And beagles are hyper.

My in-laws dog is not the brightest, but lucky for us or they woul not have her. She was bred to be a hunting dog, but she was so dumb that she would run the opposite direction from where she was supposed to go. The breeded wanted to get rid of her because she was such a bad hunter. His misfourtune was our gain. She is the sweetest most timid dog I have ever met. She is unlike all the other beagles being described here. She wines a lot to be pet, but I think I have only heard her bark once or twice. She never runs, ever. I have never seen her move faster than a medium paced walk. We love her dearly no matter what.

get a crate and crate train her, put her in the crate and then take her outside to go--play with her for a while and back in the crate until time to take her to go. I crate trained my HUGE dog and have never had an accident. She still has her crate and goes in there when she wants to some space......I don't think any other training works for going out side.

tilly said:
get a crate and crate train her, put her in the crate and then take her outside to go--play with her for a while and back in the crate until time to take her to go. I crate trained my HUGE dog and have never had an accident. She still has her crate and goes in there when she wants to some space......I don't think any other training works for going out side.

great suggestion:)

Unless you are willing to get a doggie door. We have had one for 9 years. Everyone of our dogs learned to use it as soon as they were shown where it was. Anytime they piddled in the floor, we yelled no,{or in a loud demanding voice} and put them out the door. We closed the door to them and waited outside with them. When they piddled outside, they were praised. If you will treat them as a child being potted trained, they will learn faster. Take them out as soon as they wake from a nap, about 10 minutes after eating, and so on.

We have had 7 Beagles at a time. We moved from Florida to California with 5. They are loving dogs but when they get outside their nose goes to ground and off they go if they pick up a scent..rabbit or cat..LOL

We did the Beagle Field Trial Circuit for years..DH is still President of the Sacramento Beagle Club..on paper. The trials require walking all day for 2 or 3 days. We camped out on the trial grounds..loved it but can't do it now.

They do love to run, they do shed.
and like any other breed they can be destructive. It will take patience and training.

On our patio we have a kennel ( purchase at a pet store) My Dove goes on a pea pad in the house and on newspapers in the kennel or a a couple of the blue pads that can be purchased from a pet store. If your daughter is old enough buy her a dust pan with a long handle and a tool that looks like a hoe..I think we bought ours ( again) in the pet store or use a plastic bag and teach her to pick up after her dog..Use the bag like a glove,,her hand goes inside the bag and then picks up the little packages ..
Marge

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom