Girls! Let's Obsess About Our Hair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's Long! It's Blonde!... & I do have more fun!!! :w00t: (You didn't think I was going to tell you all my secrets -- did you?! :LOL:)

She asks me why
I'm just a hairy guy
I'm hairy noon and night
Hair that's a fright
I'm hairy high and low
Don't ask me why
Don't know
It's not for lack of bread
Like the Grateful Dead
Darling​

Gimme a head with hair
Long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming,
Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there hair
Shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there mama
Everywhere daddy daddy

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

Let it fly in the breeze
And get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas
A hive for bees
A nest for birds
There ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder
Of my...​

Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy
Shining, gleaming, streaming
Flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka-dotted
Twisted, beaded, braided
Powdered, flowered, and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!​

Oh say can you see
My eyes if you can
Then my hair's too short​

Down to here
Down to there
Down to where
It stops by itself​

They'll be ga ga at the go go
When they see me in my toga
My toga made of blond
Brilliantined
Biblical hair​

My hair like Jesus wore it
Hallelujah I adore it
Hallelujah Mary loved her son
Why don't my mother love me?​

Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

Last edited:
As far as tipping goes, depending upon service, you go 10%-15% for a cut and 15%-20%for a chemical job.

Think about it ladies. If you just got the most amazing cut/color you've ever had, couldn't you just go without a few starbuck's and give your stylist the extra $?

jkath said:
As far as tipping goes, depending upon service, you go 10%-15% for a cut and 15%-20%for a chemical job.

Think about it ladies. If you just got the most amazing cut/color you've ever had, couldn't you just go without a few starbuck's and give your stylist the extra $?

For sure. Stylists don't make decent $$ unless they own their own buisness. You either get paided a crappy hourly wage with poop for benies or fork out big bucks to rent a chair and HOPE you have the clientel to pay for the rental and then some to live off of. That's why I don't do it anymore...

Once I got into the business, my tipping for EVERYTHING went up...

A local salon owner went from one site to a much grander site and increased the prices about 75%. I started going somewhere else. I can get a pedicure or a manicure, or a haircut at half the price in a just as good salon.

appreciate it

Thanks for the info on going to hair salon. Now I do know what I should give for work they do. I make it point to try to pay attention to amount of tip I give them. If they do a job well, they should be paid for it. People are not easy to please. There are times I went and couldn't wait to get home to change the style. I felt it was my fault since I didn't go to hairdresser on regular basis. Can't perform miracles!

OK, chiming in here. Everytime I find someone who can do my hair the way I want it done they MOVE! And its not like it has happened just once. So, I am wearing my hair much longer than I like, and am keeping my ear open for folks who really like their stylists.

Lucky me - my cousin works in a salon and does my hair and waxing. I don't know how I could afford it otherwise. She will only accept $20 a service. I usually visit her at the shop once a month. I love the way she cuts my hair. She has made some house calls for me too - gave me and my daughter an updo before as well as came to the house right after I had my son to cut my hair. She also gave my son his first haircut at the house. Like I said, I'm lucky.

jkath said:
Just my two cents, although I worked as a hairdresser for quite a few years.

Fine hair isn't always oily. The thickness/thinness of your hair has nothing to do with your scalp's condition. It's what you do to it. Just as you take care of your skin, you must take care of your scalp. It's skin, afterall!

Use professional products. Store brand stuff will never do your hair justice. It's not the same product. Store brands have a lot more water in relation to the good stuff. And, their good stuff isn't the best quality. That's why you have to use so much to clean/condition your hair. A professional product will always give you better results.

Think of store brand being like a McDonald's hamburger, and the pro line is more of a 7% lean ground beef from a butcher, then grilled on a fire to perfection. Or, it's the chef's difference between using real vanilla extract vs. artificial vanilla flavoring. See the difference?

You will never get the best results from a home coloring job. Why? Because those products do not contain the needed levels of color/peroxide/amonia you need to acheive great results.

While we're on the subject, from experience in salons, yes, the pricier salons really do know their stuff. The cupon-type hair cutter places will hire someone right out of beauty school, no questions asked. They'll charge you about 10 bucks and send you on your way. A nicer salon will hire the newbie, but make them assist a top stylist for months (or years) until they can get the proper technique.

Laides, if you don't think your hair is gorgeous, try the salon in your city that you know may have higher prices, but has the best reputation. You know, a consulatation is generally free. Just ask their advice!

Okay, I'm climbing down off of my soapbox now.

Hey jkath, Thanks for the advice. Could you, or anyone else who understands this stuff, go into more detail as to how to take care of hair/scalp. I appreciate the analogy, but to be honest I just do not get it. I am thinking about shampoos, how can shampoo be so different? My stylist does not push her products, barely has them on display, she uses Scruples. I use Enforce for the gel product on my hair. Now let me repeat, I live 8 miles from the nearest town, and it has a pop. of 6000. We are not talking about ANY salons in this area. Can you give advice as to good shampoos that can be got at Walmart? I use Clairol stuff, is this okay? Another thing, my stylist says I have the healtiest hair of any of her clients, it must be the diet, I eat a disqustingly healthy diet. So I'm thinking, why do I need to change anything? But I want to understand hair care and scalp care and shampoos and what I can do in my limited area.

Thanks!!!
Beth

My hair is very thick and spiral curly. On most days, when I don't wear it curly, I have to put oil in it and use a hairdryer brush to straighten it to a wavy type curl. I normally wear my hair long because otherwide it would just be out of control. I was born a blond and as I got older it turned into a dark brown. Now I put in blond highlights to lighten it back up.

I usually have my hair cut, colored and styled about once evey 3 to 4 months. It usually cost me $150. I have to wait until I go home to Oklahoma to have it done because my hair stylist there is the only one who can work with my hair the way I want it done.

I usually get my hair cut about every 1 1/2 to 2 months for $18. I use to go to the high priced salons but got lucky finding the lady I've been going to through a friend. When I did get highlights they were about $75 or so depending on where I went. I stopped because they would never stay in my hair that long. Come to find out, this is what my new stylist told me, since I'm half asian my cuticles are much thicker and don't hold highlights very well. Also, another reason why I love my new stylist is because she is honest and will tell me if something won't work well with my hair.

Add me to the baby fine club. I used to wear it long and pulled back, but for my son's wedding, I had it cut chin length and turned under, and I love it.

A tip I learned from my mom, that may save you some money on "clarifying" shampoos. After you shampoo, mix a couple tablespoons of vinegar in a quart or so of water, and pour it thru your hair. Let it sit a minute or so, then rinse thoroughly. If you have really hard water, do it every time you shampoo.

Leaves your hair soft and so shiny. Yes, you can use lemon juice, cider vinegar, or white vinegar--all the same effect. A little bit of acid really gets the minerals out.

bethzaring said:
Another thing, my stylist says I have the healtiest hair of any of her clients, it must be the diet, I eat a disqustingly healthy diet.
Beth, your healthy diet REALLY has a lot to do with not only your hair, but your skin and nails as well. Good for you for taking great care of yourself!
As for being 8 miles away, that is a bummer, however, because pro products last A LOT longer per oz than the cheapie stuff, you can just go purchasing about every 2 months for the larger sized bottles. (They are also a better price than the smaller ones).
There really is a difference in product. Really. Some people's hair really is much easier to deal with than others - that's a fact. But, if you use the better stuff, you'll love your hair even more.

Some stylists push product, others do not.
Here are some of the reasons why:
1. The stylist loves it and really knows it
2. The stylist owns the salon and gets 50% back in sales
3. The stylist makes a small (around 15%) commission on product sales
4. The stylist uses that product exclusively, because that's what the salon sells. This is generally not because that's the only one the salon owner likes, but if they are a flagship store, such as an Aveda or Sebastian salon, the company gives the flagship salon a nice kickback.

Ask your stylist a lot of questions. Ask what he/she uses at home.

Here's another idea: next time you go to the salon, ask the shampoo girl/assistant (or stylist, if they don't have an assistant) what product the salon is using on the back bar. (That's where they shampoo you)
That's usually a good indicator of what works really well on a lot of people.

As for clarifying your hair, unless you're using cheapie shampoo and/or more hairspray than most 80's hair bands, you don't need one. Unless, of course your city has ungodlly amount of yuck in the pipes. lol

As far as a thick cuticle not "taking " hilites well, that's a new one to me.
Knowing a bit of trichology, thick or thin, the hair "takes" the same way:
The high level of H2O2, or peroxide will strip the hair of it's color first. This basically blasts open the cuticle of your hair. Then, the color molecules jump into the cuticle and the color (professional does this 10 x better than home) closes itself into the shaft of hair. Now, yellow is a large molecule, red is second biggest and blue is smallest. The smallest will exit the hair first. That's why when you get a great color put in, you start to lose your blue first, which will give you a more orangey appearance, if you've not kept up on your hair coloring. All this to say, if your hair doesn't "take" highlights, you need to either do them on a more regular basis, or use a better, more gentle approach in hair care.
Folks, again, I'm off the box. Sorry for the long-windedness.

Just a question for anyone. When I use to dye my hair back in college I would use the over the counter coloring products. In each box there was a small bottle of conditioner that came with the coloring kit. Does anyone sell this seperately?
Even after getting expensive deep conditioning treatments and using deep conditioning products my hair has never been as soft as it was after using this small bottle of conditioner.

Anyone else wonder if these hollywood celebrities actually use the over the counter products. I mean really...........if you look at Heather Locklears hair you can tell its def. not a over the counter job. And I can't imagine Sarah Jessica Parker to use it. Those are just a few.

I live 8 miles from a hamlet

jkath said:
Here's another idea: next time you go to the salon, ask the shampoo girl/assistant (or stylist, if they don't have an assistant) what product the salon is using on the back bar. (That's where they shampoo you)
That's usually a good indicator of what works really well on a lot of people.

:LOL: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :LOL:

There is one beauty chair, one sink, one mirror, one worker where I go; she owns the business, cleans the bathroom and tanning beds, answers the phone and makes us beautiful.:) Whew, she is quite a woman! Makes me tired watching her.

Thanks jkath for the tips, I really appreciate it!!

Glad you weren't ready to vote me off of the island...er...cooking board!

Sizz....if you made 12mil per movie....would you do your own color? 'nuff said.
However, some of those well-paid gals look as though they do!

abj: the little bottle is no doubt a humectant, of sorts. Probably had some hyaluronic acid, I'm guessing. That's an ingredient that basically goes into your cuticle a bit and sucks some of the moisture out of the air and deposits it into your hair. (For lack of better words)
Try nexxus' Humectress (little goes a long way). Better yet, click on this link and you'll get a 1oz. sample each of their Therappe shampoo and Humectress conditioner.
http://www.startsampling.com/sm/18861/product.iphtml?item=18861&source=
(mods - not advertising - click on it and you'll get free samples too!)

Well - I'm NOT a girl ... but I did try to color my hair once back in the Beach Boy days in the mid 60's (lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide) so I could turn my brown hair blond. Let's just say I got the most awful "orange" hair for a couple of months ... until it grew out long enough the barber could trim it off.

I should be on Guiness book of world records for having the most unfortunate hair... my problems rest on something more "deep rooted" than usual cases, which is beyond any cosmetic control. It is virtually impossible to make it look good because

1. my hair grows out sideways along the skull, thus whatever you do they just lay absolutely flat. I actually have lots of hair but it doesn't even look like that. (I even tried bodywave, it was fine for some days but as soon as the hair grew the new roots, they laid flat curling ridiculously SIDEWAYS.)
2. my head has an awful "E.T." like shape, sort of wide on sides, flat on the top and back... This makes my already misguidedly growing hair look even more ridiculous.
3. my hair has a weird kink, each strand just twists and gets into bizzare crook in random fashion. It is not like my hair is wavy or anything, it just look like a mop of straight hair with bad cowlick.

I realized long time ago even a very good haircut couldn't help the situation, so I stopped bothering about it and have been cutting my hair myself for almost 10 years. Probably I will get laughed at if a stylist takes a look at it, but by a casual look it doesn't seem to make any difference.
I think if there is any hair stylist who can make my hair look decent (not fabulous, nothing glamorous, JUST DECENT), he/she would deserve a Nobel Prize... so, anyone who are suffering a "bad hair day", take a little comfort in the fact that there are someone who is stuck in a "bad hair LIFE"!!
29.gif

BTW I do colour my hair and have done so for 12 years, and will do it for the rest of my life... my hair is naturally pitch black and I can't stand it... initially I wanted a light ash brown shade but my natural pigment makes it reddish no matter what I did, so now I just use mahogany or some sort of soft red shade. I have always done it with DIY kit, if you choose a right kit, they work perfectly with much less cost than a trip to a stylist...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom