"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2021, 05:23 PM   #2841
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
<<So, it will continue to be sporadic until DH gets my access to the internet over the house wifi working properly. Probably some time tomorrow.>>
Every now and again, it is good to check in with your cell phone provider to see if they have "new packages". A couple of years back, when I did a check in, they had a new package that allowed me to have my Mi-Fi (portable hotspot) "share" the data with our phones for only $20/month instead of the $60/month standalone. I went for that! More recently, when we've been out on long RV trips (reason for having the Mi-Fi), I found that DH's radio shows were gobbling up the data. Even though we have an "unlimited" data plan, they throttle the speed after we exceed a certain usage. So...I went in for another check up and sure enough, they have a better plan with quadruple the data usage, before the throttle. And, the good news is, they now have a better Veteran's discount (triple, I think $30 instead of $10/month)...and if I switch to auto-payment with debit, instead of credit, I get another $20/month discount. After adding up the new discounts, I ended up with the vastly improved plan for the same monthly fee. I liked that!

Just saying, doesn't hurt to ask!
Old 11-10-2021, 05:34 PM   #2842
Wannabe TV Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I guess I don't post often enough for anyone to notice, but I'm leaving for Paris in a week. I do read DC most every day - I just don't say a lot.

I'll take a lot of pictures.
OOHHHH!!!
Yes please, lots!
Will you be posting more here at DC or on your personal blog?
Old 11-10-2021, 05:43 PM   #2843
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyPNW View Post
Every now and again, it is good to check in with your cell phone provider to see if they have "new packages". A couple of years back, when I did a check in, they had a new package that allowed me to have my Mi-Fi (portable hotspot) "share" the data with our phones for only $20/month instead of the $60/month standalone. I went for that! More recently, when we've been out on long RV trips (reason for having the Mi-Fi), I found that DH's radio shows were gobbling up the data. Even though we have an "unlimited" data plan, they throttle the speed after we exceed a certain usage. So...I went in for another check up and sure enough, they have a better plan with quadruple the data usage, before the throttle. And, the good news is, they now have a better Veteran's discount (triple, I think $30 instead of $10/month)...and if I switch to auto-payment with debit, instead of credit, I get another $20/month discount. After adding up the new discounts, I ended up with the vastly improved plan for the same monthly fee. I liked that!

Just saying, doesn't hurt to ask!
I don't understand about the Mi-Fi. I just share the data from my phone as a hotspot. I don't pay extra to do that. Also, I seldom use mobile data, so I don't see how this would help. My phone plan comes with 11 GB of mobile data. I do check the website for deals once in a while. If I upgrade the cell phone company's app, I can get an extra five hours of mobile data per month for no extra cost. Mostly I just use our home network's unlimited internet access. If I was travelling a lot, that would be different.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:42 PM   #2844
Head Chef

One of my best friends will stay at our house with the dogs. Its the most important preparation.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:16 PM   #2845
Master Chef

Silversage! I'm sooo jealous!

You have a great time and I'm sure looking forward to hear all about it!
Old 11-10-2021, 11:32 PM   #2846
Executive Chef

Have a great vacation, Silversage, and stay safe! Looking forward to those photos, and descriptions of all those great foods (and drinks) you will have.
Old 11-11-2021, 01:40 AM   #2847
Chef Extraordinaire

You may say that you don't post often, but think of it as quality over quantity.

Safe travels and have a wonderful time! Looking forward to your report when you return home and get settled back in.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #2848
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You may say that you don't post often, but think of it as quality over quantity.

Safe travels and have a wonderful time! Looking forward to your report when you return home and get settled back in.

+1!!!!!
Old 12-01-2021, 07:51 AM   #2849
Executive Chef

Not sure if there is another MIA thread but,

I have noticed that Florida married couple CraigC and, I believe Medtran, have not posted in a while.

I hope they are well.

Ross
Old 12-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #2850
Master Chef

Medtran has a new job that is keeping her very busy.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #2851
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Medtran has a new job that is keeping her very busy.
Thank you.

Knowing they are ok is good enough.

Ross
Old 12-01-2021, 08:26 PM   #2852
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Having computer problems since I let it have a cup of coffee. Had a heck of a time getting here. Will return when I can get it fixed. Probably needs a new coffee portal...
Old 12-01-2021, 09:11 PM   #2853
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Having computer problems since I let it have a cup of coffee. Had a heck of a time getting here. Will return when I can get it fixed. Probably needs a new coffee portal...
Ya know, Princess, in my experience, computers tend to be wired enough! They don't need the coffee boost!?

Hope your computer woes are soon in the rearview mirror!
Old 12-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #2854
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyPNW View Post
Ya know, Princess, in my experience, computers tend to be wired enough! They don't need the coffee boost!?

Hope your computer woes are soon in the rearview mirror!
Generally okay, but can't watch videos, use drop down lists or radio buttons. There are some work arounds but I lose patience.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #2855
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Generally okay, but can't watch videos, use drop down lists or radio buttons. There are some work arounds but I lose patience.
I totally get it! Not fun!
Old 01-15-2022, 07:17 AM   #2856
Executive Chef

Has anyone heard from K-Girl?

We PM occasionally but she has not responded to my message of a week ago.

I saw a post on her web site but, no idea if that actually was written on the date stated.

Ross
Old 01-15-2022, 07:37 AM   #2857
Master Chef

She hasn't responded to anyones' messages in so far as I know. I feel all is not well with DH and think of them constantly. She may not be reading the posts at the moment but I think and hope she can feel all our collective well wishes.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:07 AM   #2858
Executive Chef

All we can do is wait to hear from her. Hope its soon and good news.

Ross
Old 01-15-2022, 07:56 PM   #2859
Chef Extraordinaire

After a short internet scavenger hunt, I found our K-Girl. She's been a bit busy playing in a different forum. And here we are all worried about her.

At least we know she's alive and probably well.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:48 PM   #2860
Wannabe TV Chef

Yes, I'm here, but not all together.
Both DH and I have Covid, but not Mom.
We have been in quarantine since the 4th, not eating much just loads of water.
I'm hoping that this will pass soon.
We're having difficulty breathing, just going to the bathroom takes the wind out of us. We're just trying to stay out of the hospital.
Mostly sleeping and then on the Internet watching movies and yes I do belong to other forums as well as DC.

I do appreciate everyone's concern, and I will check in more often.
I can't contribute anything to the discussion mostly because I'm just trying to get by right now, no cooking/baking/grilling, just frozen TV dinners.
We did one GrubHub delivery from a Chinese joint two towns up and it has inedible!