Going to a grocery store while on vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Am I the only one who does this ?? For some reason, If I go away, and I see a chain of supermarket Im not familiar with, I love to go in and browse around just to see what products im missing out on. Sometimes its the highlight of my vacations :ROFLMAO:

Any other grocery store freaks out there like me ??

And if it is a farmers market or some kind of ethnic food specialty store, forget about it, i feel like ive gone to heaven....

I am definitely with you on the farmers markets and ethnic foods and specialty food stores, we love to explore those on vacations. Different supermarket chains and stuff we do sometimes go in and poke around and see what its like and what they carry, but I wouldn't say love to do it.
It's those small specialty stores that I get the most kick out of, especially mom and pop stores for everything from candy to wine to who knows what LOL.

Larry, I'm with you. When I am out of town, I love to see what the local markets have to offer and I always go in to look for things I can't find anymore in my area. I have also found things that I can't seem to live without and end up mail ordering alot of things as a result of it. No, you are not alone!!!!

We go to Aruba every year (timeshare). There are several American style supermarkets there that cater to tourist in the timeshares. There is an interesting mix of American and European products, produce and meats. We see goat meat in the display case next to the beef and pork.

I love to go to out-of-town grocery stores and browse. I've discovered many things that have become must-haves and are always smuggled back to Tennessee. For a long time it was the local beers, but now when I'm someplace like the Outer Banks I bring back a case of Utz Crab Chips and Harris Teeter lemon cookies. I'm so addicted to the Utz chips that I have friends mule them back for me when they visit home in Maryland and Virginia. :mrgreen:

I grew up in the grocery business so it was a staple in our travels as a kid. Now that DH and I do our own traveling, I've shared the tradition with him. It's fun to see what other areas carry and I love to find something usual in their deli to try.

When I was away at college and then living in the Pacific NW, I would get really homesick and would wander the grocery aisles ... made me feel better.

Living in a little midwestern town, I love going to groceries in different areas of the country while on vacation. People here are basic meat/potato eaters and that is what you find in the local stores, no fancy or frills for this area! There is no way I would be able to find a bottle of sriracha or harissa in my local grocery, not even sure if I could find a bottle of capers! It is also interesting to see the varied pricing between the midwest, the east coast and the west coast on every day items.

my only problem with browsing the otu of town markets is that I end up wanted to buy stuff and no one to bring it back home.

but definitly is nice to see how the other side lives so to say

Love doing it in Europe... meats and cheeses become most of our lunches and dinners. Yummy and fun too.

Love to do this no matter where I go. It's fun and a fun way to see what's popular there.

Example I went to this huge supermarket in Dubai and saw interesting things that I would never find in US
Went to local markets in Egypt and was also fascinated with the spices and stuff that's popular there. I also got to eat custard apples after a very long time (they are available in Asia and it was a treat to find them in Cairo)
In Amsterdam I could hardly read any labels but the pictures told the story and I purchased some local cookies and snacks for my kids who enjoyed them
In Madrid, I bought some local flan mixes that turned out awesome when I made them at home
In Madrid, it was also great to sample some local cheeses, bread and pastries

Out of all these my favorite place so far is the DeKalb farmer market in Atlanta, if anyone has ever been there they can attest to why it's so fun. It's an all day event (the market is that huge) and they have produce from every part of the globe and they let you sample stuff too.

I'm one of these people really addicted to this. My husband used to get annoyed at me until he discovered that the stuff I bought ended up in a delicious meal for him. Now he gladly goes with me. He does draw the line at my dragging him through every botanical garden wherever we go!

Yup, I am guilty of this too. Don't often buy a lot, but love to wander.

In fact, a happy weekend day for wife and I is to visit Whole Foods, Trader Joe's,
Costco and/or the Asian Supermarket... just to wander around and maybe buy a little.
(We try to buy something new each time. )

I love to visit grocery stores when I am traveling. My husband doesn't share this passion with me. He always says the same thing..."you don't need to buy anything do you?"

I always shop while on vacation. What the heck, that's the best part!
We always rent suites or condo's so we can cook in the room if we don't feel like going out, so one of my first stops is the local market.

Love to do it myself, especially when visiting a foreign country. I have a stack of those discount cards from various states as well; that was necessity, we were in an RV. But it is fun to see regional differences in food choices. For example, on the Mississippi side of Memphis we went to a regular grocery store that had a rib department larger than many entire meat departments in other locals. In Slovenia and Quebec we were amazed at the lack of junk food and no "diet" food/drinks at all. One place had no dog food at all, which astonished my husband because everyone seemed to have a dog and took them to restaurants. Well, I guess there's your answer, the dogs are eating restaurant food!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom