Going to see Alton Brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
My wife just called to say that she bought me an early birthday gift: tickets to see Alton Brown's travelling show in February.

I have no idea what to expect, but I'm sure it will be fun. I've been a fan for quite a long time. According to the promo:

"I've been cultivating material for this show for about a decade so it'll feel pretty darned good to finally get it out of my head and onto a stage. I feel we've come up with some pretty amazing food demos, and the multi-media segments are solid….but I do have to say I'm a bit nervous about the singing parts."

There is also a blurb that claims "Ponchos will be involved". I sure hope that doesn't mean he will be smashing watermelons with a sledgehammer. :LOL:

My wife just called to say that she bought me an early birthday gift: tickets to see Alton Brown's travelling show in February.

I have no idea what to expect, but I'm sure it will be fun. I've been a fan for quite a long time. According to the promo:

"I've been cultivating material for this show for about a decade so it'll feel pretty darned good to finally get it out of my head and onto a stage. I feel we've come up with some pretty amazing food demos, and the multi-media segments are solid….but I do have to say I'm a bit nervous about the singing parts."

There is also a blurb that claims "Ponchos will be involved". I sure hope that doesn't mean he will be smashing watermelons with a sledgehammer. :LOL:
Watermelon aren't in season in MN in February...but ice fishing goes until the end of February as I recall...

I hope he tells how he got into the food business. He used to watch food shows and always wanted the know the science of what they were doing. So he enrolled in culinary school to find out. The rest is history. (Or Science!)

We will expect a full report. And there will be a test. :angel:

Well congratulations to you !!

What an awesome thing for her to do.

I am sure you will have the time of your life - lucky you !!!

This turned out to be an excellent show.

In case you're wondering what Alton Brown could do to fill two-and-a-half hours, I'll just say it was very much a departure from the material he does on Food Network. There was original music (he is a passable singer, guitarist, and saxophonist), which included songs about caffeine and the Easy Bake Oven he secretly wanted when he was a child. He also did some hilarious stand up comedy material on "Ten Things I Know For Certain About Food". First on the list is "Chickens don't have fingers", after which he talks at length about how he once terrified his young daughter's sleepover friends by serving them chicken feet with the toenails still attached.

Then there were cooking demonstrations. The one below is "Mega Bake", which is an oversized Easy Bake Oven. Instead of a single bulb, this one is powered by 54 1000-watt stage lights and reaches an internal temperature of 680 degrees. To demonstrate, he brings someone up from the audience to make a pizza and bake it.

Good stuff and very entertaining!

img_1342836_0_a11ee149615851da76d2b8207727a4b9.jpg

What a show!! Thanks for reporting back on this, as I was thinking about it just the other day.

First on the list is "Chickens don't have fingers", after which he talks at length about how he once terrified his young daughter's sleepover friends by serving them chicken feet with the toenails still attached.

Now that's funny. :LOL: Hope Frank sees this. :LOL:

How fun, Steve! I would love to see Alton. A man of many talents, it seems. I'm not real crazy about his new show Cutthroat Kitchen, but I sure wish Good Eats would come back. :)

How fun, Steve! I would love to see Alton. A man of many talents, it seems. I'm not real crazy about his new show Cutthroat Kitchen, but I sure wish Good Eats would come back. :)

Would love to see Alton in person too. Oh, Cheryl, I love Cutthroat Kitchen! BTW, Good Eats is on Cooking Channel, here 232 on DirectTV on Sundays.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom