Golden Gate Bridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In the Kitchen

Executive Chef
How something that appears so beautiful can also be tragedy! Watching Larry King other night had show on people who committed suicide. Someone is making, can't remember name, is making documentary about this. Fact is on average someone jumps off that bridge every 15 days. They refuse to put up some kind of protection or fence as it would detract from the appearance of the bridge. Maybe my facts about the reason is not only one. They do not feel that preventing someone from jumping off that bridge warrants any change! To see these people before they did it really had a impression that I can't forget. How this man made this film would not be easy. I am sure he hopes something will be done to change this. I have never had the opportunity to see this bridge but it must be well worth seeing.

The Golden Gate Bridge is beautiful to see. It is sad that people take their own lives by falling over the side of the bridge and into the water.

Hubby's cousin lives right on the Marina in SF. She has a wonderful view of the GG bridge and of Alcatraz from her living room, that is, if it's not fogged in.

One of the most fantastic views is to walk the bridge - especially on a fog-free beautiful S.F. day!!!

IMO, if folks are determined to take their lives, a fence will not stop them...they'll just go somewhere else.

When I was a child I lived in the area. I remember someone jumped off at the wrong time of day and just splashed into some mud flats and lived with not much injury. (I don't remember, I was very young and just remember my parents talking about it). I've always wondered if living through a suicide attempt is someone's way of telling you your time wasn't up, or if it just makes you feel like more of a failure. How sad.

cjs said:
One of the most fantastic views is to walk the bridge - especially on a fog-free beautiful S.F. day!!!

IMO, if folks are determined to take their lives, a fence will not stop them...they'll just go somewhere else.

I really couldn't agree more. It really bothers me that we have to keep changing things in our society to protect people from themselves..

It's sort of like the Seatbelt or Helmet Law.. I wear both all of the time.. But, I am not sure why it's a law to wear them.. I don't really want to get on a political rheteric, but I think the Bridge should stay just as is..

-Brad

My wife was telling me about this documentary last night actually. She heard something about it on NPR. The film makers set up cameras a distance away and filmed for a year to catch the suicides. They would call the cops when they could to try to prevent as many as possible, but they found that next to impossible. The people they thought would jump didn't and the people they did not think would jump did. They talked about one guy who was jogging and talking on his cell phone with a smile on his face and then out of nowhere he jumped. Crazy stuff!

I agree with cjs. A fence will not solve the problem. If someone is that determined to end their life then they will find a way to do it.

Ebert's written a good review, however, it falls into the same category as "Silence of the Lambs" and "Seven" for me ... maybe well-filmed, well-acted, well-written and all the other "wells" ... but you have to ask yourself, was it really necessary to make this?

Few things frighten me more than the thought of suicide. I certainly don't want to see it.

Yes, for someone determined. But there are people out there who give in to moments of despondency that we all have. I have acquaintances who have children (adults) who have tried and failed and lived to tell the tale. Successful lives; miserable lives; and in one case he finally accomplished his goal. Sad. When I say acquaintances, some are people I've known, but I worked in military personnel for years and some were cases. I honestly felt like I wanted to go out and shoot a couple of people myself: Those who don't care who finds them, and thier young children find them. Can you imagine that?

Regular Occurrance

For this to be regular occurrance of someone using it as a matter of ending their life seems to be people using it for purpose of showing the world they weren't really of value. This is so wrong. We all would be lined up if we didn't know that we have to accept some things and know we can't change them, no matter how hard we try.

I just don't understand not putting up some kind of deterrant to this practice. Having so many take their lives should be a cruel sign to change it. Forget about the appearance of it. People do put values in wrong place that is for sure. Maybe Arnold would be interested in my opinion. Seems like level headed guy at times. My opinion

"Maybe Arnold would be interested in my opinion. Seems like level headed guy at times. "

Jean, step back, take a breath and go to another post... :) :) :)

cjs said:

Jean, I was thinking the same thing.

and the fact that some folks do use the bridge to facilitate their demise does not diminish its beauty.

Back
Top Bottom