Good Food Reads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I thought this article was interesting and it lead me to wonder what food/cooking related books have you enjoyed that aren't on this list?

The Joy of Reading

Tip Sheet recommends these brilliant food memoirs.

WEB EXCLUSIVE

Newsweek
Updated: 11:56 p.m. ET March 25, 2006

March 26, 2006 - “A Feast Made for Laughter” by Craig Claiborne
“Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table” by Ruth Reichl
“Comfort Me with Apples: More Adventures at the Table” by Ruth Reichl
“Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise” by Ruth Reichl
“Kitchen Confidential” by Anthony Bourdain
“A Cook’s Tour: In Search of the Perfect Meal” by Anthony Bourdain
“Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment” by Julie Powell
“The Making of a Chef: Mastering Heat at the Culinary Institute” by Michael Ruhlman
“Don’t Try This at Home: Culinary Castastrophes from the World’s Greateast Chefs” by Kimberly Witherspoon and Andrew Friedman
“The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen” by Jacques Pépin
“The Art of Eating” by M.F.K. Fisher and Joan Reardon
“If You Can Stand the Heat: Tales from Chefs and Restaurateurs” by Dawn Davis
“Charlotte’s Table” by Charlotte Armstrong
“Letters to a Young Chef” by Daniel Boulud
“Love and Kisses and a Halo of Truffles: Letters to Helen Evans Brown” by James Beard

Bone in the throat by Tony Bourdain ... he's a fine writer..his novels are lots of fun for light reading.

THe new Julia CHild autobiography is supposed to be quite interesting too. not gotten to it yet.

I have read almost all of those books and they are all good.

I'd add: "The Soul of a Chef" by Michael Ruhlman; "A Cooks Tour" by Tony Bourdain; Mark Kurlansky's books on Salt, Cod and Oysters; ANYTHING by MFK Fisher; any of Calvin Trillin's books; "The Man Who Ate Eevrything" and "It Must Have Been Something I Ate by Jeffrey Steingarten."

I was reading "It Must Have Been Something I Ate" at Le Bonne Soup in NYC one afternoon when I looked up and Jeffrey Steingarten was standing right in front of me! He saw that I was reading his book and he winked at me.

Also, "The Best Food Writing" series (Best Food Writing 2000, 2002, 2002, 2003, etc.) is fantastic.

jennyema said:
I was reading "It Must Have Been Something I Ate" at Le Bonne Soup in NYC one afternoon when I looked up and Jeffrey Steingarten was standing right in front of me! He saw that I was reading his book and he winked at me.

That's pretty funny. I think he's the ONLY judge on Iron Chef America that has any clout and whose opinion really matters.

Everything everyone else mentioned, plus Katish: Our Russian Cook by Wanda L. Frolov and Monsoon diary: A Memoir with Recipes by Shoba Narayan. Both Jacques Pepin's autobiography and Julia Childs' biography.

Back
Top Bottom