Got a new puppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone. All 3 of them had had baths and were getting ready to hit the sack which is probably why I could actually get a pic with everyone in one place! Fisher is totally enchanted with his little pup and has been wandering around with him in his arms singing a little song about being the luckiest boy in the world. It doesn't get better than that!

Chewing

See? I told you the little stinkers want to chew! Look at the picture he's got the toy and has a hold on it like he isn't going to let go. Make sure you keep giving him something to chew on. These puppies are driving me crazy with the things they want to put in their mouth. Even had one of my hair holders chewing on it. Then they start on my bible. That really got me cause now I have hard time worrying about tearing the pages myself. There is reminder of them everywhere. The old dog hides when he sees me pick something up that they chewed on. I have room full of the nylabones and toys and they pick up my hair clip! Do you understand the reasoning? One guy just told me his is 11 years old and still acts like a puppy. Mine always seemed to mature after period of time. I think these dogs are basically hyper.

good luck with yours. Maybe having one makes huge difference. Thought getting two would keep the other one company cause the old dog wants no part of either one.

FM, one thing you can do that I do with mine. Go to a dollar store and get the stuffed animals in the baby section or wherever that do not hve plasic eyes or noses. They make them with stitched eyes and nose. Anytime baby chews a sock, shoe, or anything he isn't suppose to have, tap on the nose with what it is, NOT HIT, tap, so no, loudly and give him his toy and say, this is yours. He will get use to what is his.

FM, one thing you can do that I do with mine. Go to a dollar store and get the stuffed animals in the baby section or wherever that do not hve plasic eyes or noses. They make them with stitched eyes and nose. Anytime baby chews a sock, shoe, or anything he isn't suppose to have, tap on the nose with what it is, NOT HIT, tap, so no, loudly and give him his toy and say, this is yours. He will get use to what is his.
That's so funny about the stuffed toys without the eyes. I learned that with Bella. The first think she did with the ones with plastic eyes was to "blind" them! Now we buy the stitched ones. Both Bella and the pup like chewing on their bones and their stuffed toys.

It was so cute today. Bella has really big rolled rawhides and the pup has a little one. Bella found the little bone under the couch and brought it to the pup and put it down in front of him. They are getting along splendidly!

Here's the best part - thanks to all of you, the pup hasn't had one accident! We stay with him constantly and take him out every couple of hours. At first, he didn't seem to understand why but as per the suggestions here, we tell him "go potty" the minute we take him outside and then praise him lavishly when he does. Now, he potties immediately when we take him outside and then runs back for the door. I think he understands it! Plus it's really hot here right now so he doesn't want to stay outside long. I'm sure he wouldn't be able to tell us when he needs to go yet, but every 2 hours seems to be good enough to prevent accidents. He also wakes me up at 7 from his crate to let me know he needs to go out. And, as JP suggested, we walk him just before we crate him at night (around midnight) so he's quiet and dry all night. WooHoo!!! Maybe this won't be too bad after all!

Who knew we had a bunch of Dog Whisperers here at DC??

That's great FM!! Isn't it funny how the older dog will protect? I have one that is like that. She always shares her cookies and toys with the new pups until they get bigger and can fend for themselves.

I was really surprised Stacy. Bella came to me when she was 2 and we haven't had other dogs til now so I had no idea she would be so motherly. It's very sweet.

FM I always believed in more than ONE. Ever since my ex is gone I always want more than one. He resented the attention I would give the dog and therefore refused to let me have another one. As Cesar Milan always says, dogs are pack animals. You want to have a happy dog, get another one. Having one dog just seems inconsiderate, like not having playmate for your child. Now this is only my opinion and if you have only one just make sure you give it all the love he needs. Only heartache is when something happens to the one. Just me thinking out loud. Don't like anyone to have unnecessary heartaches.

FM your reports sure make me happy. Hoping it will continue and that he will be around long time. Did you give him name or did I miss it somewhere?

FM I always believed in more than ONE. Ever since my ex is gone I always want more than one. He resented the attention I would give the dog and therefore refused to let me have another one. As Cesar Milan always says, dogs are pack animals. You want to have a happy dog, get another one. Having one dog just seems inconsiderate, like not having playmate for your child. Now this is only my opinion and if you have only one just make sure you give it all the love he needs. Only heartache is when something happens to the one. Just me thinking out loud. Don't like anyone to have unnecessary heartaches.

FM your reports sure make me happy. Hoping it will continue and that he will be around long time. Did you give him name or did I miss it somewhere?
I just love your posts and you, too, ITK! I've never been able to to have just one of anything, either. That's why I have 7 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats.

I wanted to be sure and report back because you were all so generous with instructions on how to house train my little pup. Really, this is the best place ever!

The pup's name is Junior for now. Not my favorite choice but Fisher thinks it's perfect.:)

If he likes 'Junior' let him be so. Old dog I have named 'China'! Of all things! Grandma named him and when she passed, all unanimous the name stays, China. Everyone thinks has that name because of breed. Shih Ztu chinese had some connection with the dog. Now that he is getting acupuncture even more Chinese. Even the doctor who gives acupuncture says how strange first dog he has named China which is exactly where his practice originated! Kind of wonder about the connection! Guess it's only me.

Oh, am I thankful you have houseful! How beautiful your life must be. Always figure the more the better and you have all the better. So beautiful. Who needs the world when you have all the life you need around you. I just think that was all God's plan and He gave them all to you! Couldn't be better! At least most of the time.

Give Junior special hug for me. He'll know who it's from. Dogs know everything. My opinion.

Back
Top Bottom