Grease burn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
After going to church and then working like a dog all afternoon on the new house I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table and I splattered my forearm with really hot oil. This puppy hurts. I cooled it immediately with cold water. Sprayed burn stuff on it. Took a Tylenol 3 and have been icing it constantly for 3 hours now. It still hurts like a son-of -a-sea -faring- sea- cook. What else can I do to relieve the pain? If it doesn't calm down soon I am going to have to take a stronger pain killer and I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it. And because someone will probably suggest it, we don't have any aloe in the house. It's hard to type left handed.:(:(:(

After going to church and then working like a dog all afternoon on the new house I was in a hurry to get dinner on the table and I splattered my forearm with really hot oil. This puppy hurts. I cooled it immediately with cold water. Sprayed burn stuff on it. Took a Tylenol 3 and have been icing it constantly for 3 hours now. It still hurts like a son-of -a-sea -faring- sea- cook. What else can I do to relieve the pain? If it doesn't calm down soon I am going to have to take a stronger pain killer and I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it. And because someone will probably suggest it, we don't have any aloe in the house. It's hard to type left handed.:(:(:(

Is it blistered?

Thank you. And the pain?

Stick with the Ty 3 or what you have. the cool water should draw the heat out. I'm thinking the ice cold is making it feel worse. Wrap with gauze and keep dry, only use cool water to rinse. If any blisters form, do not break them. About the third day start using antibiotic ointment on it.

thank you again. It's good to have the advice of a pro. I was going to put ointment on it tonight but I will wait. My script says I can take 2 tylenol 3's and I may do that and not take anything stronger. I hate having to take meds. I have never taken more than one of them at a time before and even that was when I was in pretty serious pain. I'm usually really good with pain, but burns are just worse than other kinds of pain,especially this particular burn.

thank you again. It's good to have the advice of a pro. I was going to put ointment on it tonight but I will wait. My script says I can take 2 tylenol 3's and I may do that and not take anything stronger. I hate having to take meds. I have never taken more than one of them at a time before and even that was when I was in pretty serious pain. I'm usually really good with pain, but burns are just worse than other kinds of pain,especially this particular burn.

Go ahead and take the extra, it will help you relax and heal. No toughing it out! Ogre's orders!!! Ointment will just hold the heat in...

fee, i thought you should never wrap a burn, even with sterile gauze.

Don't wrap a fresh burn, after a few hours you want to protect it, especially if it blisters up. If the blister is going to burst, you want some thing clean around it.

ah, yes, that makes sense.

what do you think of silver sulfadiazine instead of antibiotic ointment?
i've seen it heal really bad burns much faster than something like neosporin. it supposedly penetrates much deeper, preventing infection better and allowing more rapid healing .

i think you need an rx for it, though.

ah, yes, that makes sense.

what do you think of silver sulfadiazine instead of antibiotic ointment?
i've seen it heal really bad burns much faster than something like neosporin. it supposedly penetrates much deeper, preventing infection better and allowing more rapid healing .

i think you need an rx for it, though.

It is RX and it's the perfect treatment for burns and other wounds that are taking their time healing. We use it on patients who have burns. We have a burn patient now, she passed out in a shower that was running hot...took the skin off her hip and thigh. She's almost all healed after a skin grafts. Silver is a natural antibiotic.

The last terrible burn I had, the cook convinced me to pour cool vinegar (white) over it. The pain went away immediately. Keep in mind that this is NOT for anything but a first degree burn. Second or third degree burns require medical attention.

PF, don't kill me, I know its not medically OK'd but it is something that I found worked.

The last terrible burn I had, the cook convinced me to pour cool vinegar (white) over it. The pain went away immediately. Keep in mind that this is NOT for anything but a first degree burn. Second or third degree burns require medical attention.

PF, don't kill me, I know its not medically OK'd but it is something that I found worked.

Oh, I wouldn't kill you, I don't have anywhere to bury the body!:rolleyes:

The key word there is "cool"...not ice! I have since sent a PM to Joesfolk telling what and when she should seek medical help. This really isn't the best place for first aid advice.

My best suggestion is everyone should take a first aid class and practice, so you know what to do in an emergency.

Oh, I wouldn't kill you, I don't have anywhere to bury the body!:rolleyes:

My best suggestion is everyone should take a first aid class and practice, so you know what to do in an emergency.

:ohmy::ohmy:

And I definitely agree with the first aid class. I've been first aid certified for over 30 years and had to use it too many times to count. Best to be prepared.

The first thing I did was head for the Red Cross site to make sure I was giving correct information. Everything is updated so often a that it's hard to keep up. I recertify in a couple of months for CPR and NOT the hands only!

My last recert (Feb) was my first time with the AED...COOOOOL! I do St John's ambulance though.

We learned years ago when a pan lid flipped and sloshed boiling water all down my mom's chest that Chloroseptic throat spray helps numb the pain from burns.

I always do as PF suggested, holding a burn under cool running water. Then I use Chloroseptic on it if I have it. :)

Barbara L said:
We learned years ago when a pan lid flipped and sloshed boiling water all down my mom's chest that Chloroseptic throat spray helps numb the pain from burns.

I always do as PF suggested, holding a burn under cool running water. Then I use Chloroseptic on it if I have it. :)

Great idea! Would Ambisol (for mouth pain) work as well on skin?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom