Grenadine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
I bought a bottle of grenadine today to make tequila sunrises with. When I asked in the supermarket where to find it, I was pointed in the direction of the liquor area. I was a bit confused about this as grenadine is a concentrated juice made from Pomegranate. This led me to think... Is this all it is used for? can Pomegranate be used in recipes? Any ideas on this?

I used to use it to make rum and Coke with grenadine [emoji38]

Pomegranate molasses is a common ingredient in the Middle East. I have a recipe for Turkish bagels where you thin pomegranate molasses with water and dip the formed bagels in the mixture, then dip them in sesame seeds and bake. The molasses is also used in various sauces.

There's a blog I follow written by a Turkish woman who wrote a cookbook of her favorite recipes. Here's the link to the bagels.

https://ozlemsturkishtable.com/2012/02/simit-sesame-encrusted-bread-rings/egsyoxag.jpeg

The problem with most store bought grenadine now-a-days (like Rose's) is that it has NO pomegranate in it. Read the ingredients... it is mostly corn syrup.

Consider making your own from juice, or better yet fresh pomegranates.

As for cooking, I have seen it used for color and sweetness in desserts, but I would never use the fake stuff. And if you don't need the syrupy texture, just add pomegranate juice, sugar, and dash of fresh lemon juice.

The problem with most store bought grenadine now-a-days (like Rose's) is that it has NO pomegranate in it. Read the ingredients... it is mostly corn syrup.

Consider making your own from juice, or better yet fresh pomegranates.

As for cooking, I have seen it used for color and sweetness in desserts, but I would never use the fake stuff. And if you don't need the syrupy texture, just add pomegranate juice, sugar, and dash of fresh lemon juice.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I bought actual pomegranate molasses from a Middle Eastern market.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I bought actual pomegranate molasses from a Middle Eastern market.

Does pomegranate molasses taste like real grenadine? Does it have a pretty red colour? I have no interest in that red sugar syrup that is sold as grenadine, so a ready made substitute sounds great. I guess it doesn't even really need to taste of much other than sweet.

Does pomegranate molasses taste like real grenadine? Does it have a pretty red colour? I have no interest in that red sugar syrup that is sold as grenadine, so a ready made substitute sounds great. I guess it doesn't even really need to taste of much other than sweet.
I can't say I know what real grenadine tastes like. I haven't bought it in many years. The molasses has a sweet, tart, slightly bitter, fruity flavor. There's no food coloring in this, so it's not bright red. The bottle says it's a product of Lebanon.
0210201246.jpg

WOW: Just looked at the label Contains (lemmon, strawberry, raspberry, blackcurrant, red current, and elderberry) no pommigranent. What a cheat!

"I have a recipe for Turkish bagels where you thin pomegranate molasses with water and dip the formed bagels" Love to see that recipe.

Last edited:
I can't say I know what real grenadine tastes like. I haven't bought it in many years. The molasses has a sweet, tart, slightly bitter, fruity flavor. There's no food coloring in this, so it's not bright red. The bottle says it's a product of Lebanon.
View attachment 38972

Sounds great. I'll add it to Our Groceries (my grocery shopping app). Thanks.

WOW: Just looked at the label Contains (lemmon, strawberry, raspberry, blackcurrant, red current, and elderberry) no pommigranent. What a cheat!

"I have a recipe for Turkish bagels where you thin pomegranate molasses with water and dip the formed bagels" Love to see that recipe.
I posted the recipe above, with a picture.

View attachment 38972
I have the same brand.

I've added some to my homemade BBQ sauce and it is wonderful.

Grenadine is just sweetened pomegranate juice with some lemon added for tartness. You can make your own with a simple recipe like this one from The Kitchn.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-grenadine-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-187983

Pomegranate juice is widely available in major grocery stores under the name POM juice - in the refrigerator section.

Pomegranate molasses is basically the same ingredients, but concentrated into a thicker syrup. If you want to use molasses in a drink, you may want to thin it out a bit with some water.

Back
Top Bottom