Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geez, I must have gone through 15 websites and umpteen pages and I still can't find a panel lifter that looked like that one :wacko: I can't find it when I know what it is :LOL:

Good one, Buck. Pretty important man that Du Mont! I might have to lift a glass or two to him tonight when I figure out which movie I want to watch.

I might have to lift a glass or two to him tonight when I figure out which movie I want to watch.

Ah yes! The time-honored tradition of lifting a glass.
I'm reminded of W. C. Field's answer when asked why he carried a flask of whiskey. He replied, "I carry it in case of snakebite."

When reminded that snakes were rare in urban environments he countered,
"Yas, and I always remember to carry a snake too."

W.C. Fields was a unique character unto himself---his exchanges with Mae West and children were hilarious. I guess I'll have to look up this Dumont guy as I've never heard of him---glad that you got the thread rolling BTom......

So what's the next pic, Buck?

Ahhhhh, yeeeesss, what's the next pictooore.......

ya gotta get the answer correct first.

it's not dumont. but that's pretty close.

he was not involved in television.

it's like television, but no moving pictures.

my guy:

attachment.php

dumont:

abdumont.jpg

close, but no cigar.

Last edited:
Whew! I knew "frequent" (and later "modulate") was a clue, but it seemed to go with TV, and the picture had a slight resemblance, so I thought Buck had it. But I finally found it (by searching "inventor born in NYC" lol):

"Edwin Howard Armstrong

b 1890 New York City, d 1954 New York City
Armstrong is the most important engineer on this list, and one of greats of the 20th century. Most of the greats are known for one or two key innovations: Widlar and the op amp, Cray and vector supercomputers, Sutherland for both Sketchpad and flight simulation. Armstrong had three: regeneration, superheterodyning, and frequency modulation. He was the last of the line of heroic individual American inventors, and he came to a particularly American end - death by lawyers. His last struggles also bear on questions that are puzzling to this day, such as why AM radio hasn't been swept away by FM." (Quote from: Edwin Howard Armstrong)

:)Barbara

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom