Guess what this is a photo of!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grumblebee, your right, it's the Billy Wright statue at Molineux Stadium in Wolverhampton.

Corazon, is your picture Chute Canyon?

Last edited:
Corazon - Isn't that the horse-shoe canyon where they filmed one of the legs of Amazing Race Family Edition? The one where Phil was wating for them on a boat?

~ Raven ~

Last edited:
Whoa... somehow I have been missing this thread and all the fun!!

Cora, is that Bryce Canyon?

Now here's mine... the name of the statue and the location...

img_234573_0_bdbe2f2581ce03e91fa4868ee4ca9162.jpg

Here you go Licia !!!!!!!! :cool:

The Bronze Horseman

pixel.gif
A monument to Peter the Great
pixel.gif

bronze-horsemen.jpg
The Bronze Horseman, an impressive monument to the founder of St Petersburg, Peter the Great,stands on Senatskaia Ploschad' (Square), facing the Neva River and surrounded by the Admiralty, St Isaac's Cathedral and the buildings of the former Senate and Synod - the civil and religious governing bodies of pre-revolutionary Russia.
The monument was built by order of the Empress Catherine the Great as a tribute to her famous predecessor on the Russian throne, Peter the Great. Being a German princess by birth, she was eager to establish a line of continuity with the earlier Russian monarchs. For that reason an inscription on the monument reads in Latin and Russian: Petro Primo Catarina Secunda - To Peter the First from Catherine the Second.
This equestrian statue of Peter the Great, created by the famous French sculptor Etienne Maurice Falconet, depicts the most prominent reformer of the Russia state as a Roman hero. The pedestal is made of a single piece of red granite molded into the shape of a cliff. From the top of this "cliff" Peter gallantly leads Russia forward, while his horse steps on a snake, which represents the enemies of Peter and his reforms.
According to a 19th century legend, enemy forces will never take St. Petersburg while the "Bronze Horseman" stands in the middle of the city. During the Second World War the statue was not taken down, but was protected with sand bags and a wooden shelter. In that way, the monument survived the 900-day Siege of Leningrad virtually untouched.

Raven said:
Corazon - Isn't that the horse-shoe canyon where they filmed one of the legs of Amazing Race Family Edition? The one where Phil was wating for them on a boat?

~ Raven ~
Raven is the closest. It's called dead horse point in Southern Utah, near Moab. Here's why it's called dead horse point-

Before the turn of the century, mustang herds ran wild on the mesas near Dead Horse Point. The unique promontory provided a natural corral into which the horses were driven by cowboys. The only escape was through a narrow, 30-yard neck of land controlled by fencing. Mustangs were then roped and broken, with the better ones being kept for personal use or sold to eastern markets. Unwanted culls of "broomtails" were left behind to find their way off the Point. According to one legend, a band of broomtails was left corralled on the Point. The gate was supposedly left open so the horses could return to the open range. For some unknown reason, the mustangs remained on the Point. There they died of thirst within sight of the Colorado River, 2,000 feet below.
This erosion process has taken approximately 150 million years.

I haven't seen XXX but the bridge and the surrounding scenery is so picturesque I remember it was used in several films and music videos etc... so probably you are right!

This is in the USA in the MIDWEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is it ?

Attachments

• court1.gif
    court1.gif
    47.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 3-4.jpeg
    3-4.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 3-14.jpeg
    3-14.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 187
  • park1-x.jpg
    park1-x.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Could that be the Wapello County Courthouse in Ottumwa, Iowa?

How about this? It is obviously a memorial to veterans. Where is it, specifically?

:) Barbara

Attachments

• Vets' Garden.jpg
    Vets' Garden.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 219
corazon90 said:
Raven is the closest. It's called dead horse point in Southern Utah, near Moab. Here's why it's called dead horse point-

Look back a couple of posts... I guessed right on!

Yeah Grumblebee was actually closer :) I did a bit of googling and the canyon I was talking about turns out to be in Arizona. (sorry) :)

One quick note, we are getting all mixed up. Please wait until you are declared the winner before posting a pic. We have 2 or 3 active guesses running at the same time and is making for some serious confusion.

~ Raven ~

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom