Hair Tales .......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
My Father and Grandparents were in the hairdressing business and Mother married into it, so to speak, but I'm the family drop out.

I have the most awful hair - Dad used to joke that he'd seen better hair on a side of bacon - poker straight, fine but thick and a s*d to cut properly. Ma was the only person who could ever cut it successfully. She had to give up doing mine some time before she died and I have spent subsequent years touring the local hairdressers wherever I've lived getting worse and worse hair cuts.

I don't know about where you all are but over here hairdressers, in the main, only know how to cut wet hair and club cut it (ie blunt cut it) neither of which my hair will co-operate with.

The other day I was at my wits end and on impulse walked into the first hairdresser's I passed in Glossop. Yes, they cut hair dry, no problem, come tomorrow at 2pm.

The result was the best hair cut I've had since Mother had to give up! I no longer look as though a mad axe-murderer has set about my head with a knife and fork and - the ultimate test - after getting soaked to the skin twice today, my hair cut still looks good. And it only cost £10 (about US$15) The last time I had it cut it cost me £35!!!!

Now, for the weird bit. The hairdresser who owns the business is called Ursula Smith. My mother was not only a hairdresser, her christian name was Ursula and her maiden name was.....Smith!!! Oo-er!!!

I'm inclined to think her ghost was getting tired of seeing me walking round looking like hell on wheels and decided to intervene. :)

Last edited:
That is eerie! I would stick with her though. Sounds like she knows your hair. I have a thick mop on top of my head. So I have to get it layered cut. Otherwise it looks like there is a large critter living under there. :angel:

What a weird coincidence, Mad Cook! Glad you finally found a hairdresser that worked out!

DH is my hairdresser, I wear my hair long, and just have him whack a couple inches off the bottom with my sewing scissors. Saves me $34, which is what I was charged last time I went to a salon for them to do the same thing.

What a weird coincidence, Mad Cook! Glad you finally found a hairdresser that worked out!

DH is my hairdresser, I wear my hair long, and just have him whack a couple inches off the bottom with my sewing scissors. Saves me $34, which is what I was charged last time I went to a salon for them to do the same thing.
Yes, that is a weird coincidence. Great that you found a good hairdresser MC.

Dawg, I'll bet your DH also knows not to cut off too much. I have seen a lot of people with long hair curse the fact that they spent money to have too much hair cut off, or in tears over it.

Yes, that is a weird coincidence. Great that you found a good hairdresser MC.

Dawg, I'll bet your DH also knows not to cut off too much. I have seen a lot of people with long hair curse the fact that they spent money to have too much hair cut off, or in tears over it.

I'm fairly blind without my glasses...it's easy for a hairdresser to be over zealous and take too much off.

Oh well, it's just hair it will grow back...unless your name is Shrek:ROFLMAO:

I go to those 'cheap' hair cut places where you don't have to have an appointment. And yes, it's true, you get what you pay for. :ohmy:

But a woman in one of them in ABQ gave me the best hair cut ever. Since I moved from ABQ I've never found one that did a good job: Fair? Meh. Inexpensive? Always.

My hair grows incredibly fast and going to a salon just isn't affordable for me since I'm keeping it pretty short now.
It was in ABQ where I decided to go from hair long enough to sit on to very short. They gave me the hair they cut off and the link to Locks of Love where your donated hair is made into wigs for children with serious medical problems (like cancer/chemotherapy).

I just found this:

5 Ways to Cut Hair - wikiHow
Very interesting.

I have gone to expensive salons and also cheap places. No difference. My hair is so thick and coarse I think it intimidates hairdressers. Twice I have found hairdressers who really knew how to cut my hair, but they moved on and I don't know where they went. I have a problem getting them to cut it short enough. No matter what I tell them, they cut off 1/2 inch. I have stopped them as soon as they start and told them they're not taking enough off, and sometimes they get done and ask if it's short enough and I say no and they start all over. I think they have had people complain that they cut it too short that they're afraid to cut too much. If they cut my hair and it's just the right length it will be too long in a week. So I like it to be a little shorter than I wanted it, then in a week it's just right.

Every time my hairdresser asks me how I want my hair cut, I give her a simple answer. "Off" I want it "Off!" This last time I told her to cut it as close to my scalp as she could get it. And she did. I have such a thick mop. I see women in this building that have lost most of their hair. :angel:

We only went bald when Mom did through chemo...talk about a group of ugly heads. Looked like the Coneheads without a point...oohhh...time to watch Oblio and The Point.

Back
Top Bottom