Half a sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Posting an old family argument discussion for public review in hope that we can put the matter to a final conclusion.

The basis of the argument is this:

• It is IMPOSSIBLE to make half of a sandwich.
  • It is possible to make a sandwich and cut it in half resulting in two halves.
  • It is possible to make a sandwich from one slice of bread that is the same size as the previously mentioned halves but it is still a whole sandwich.
In either case a whole sandwich was brought into physical existence. One of the sandwiches is comparatively smaller in size.

A half of something results when it is divided in some manner.

What do you think?

this is along the lines of one of zeno's paradoxe you know, like the one where if every step you took got you halfway to your goal, you'd never get there, in theory.

it's interesting, but impractical in real terms. you eventually get into negligible terms.

in the end, the person with the ruler that has smaller demarcations wins.

lol, i love the philosophy of physics. mc escher's drawings, bach's canons, and so on.

If I normally make a sandwich with 2 slices of bread, 3 ounces of meat, 1 ounce of cheese, 2 Tbs Mayo and 2 tsp mustard, and on my next effort I use half of everything...to my satisfaction, I have made a half sandwich.

If I normally make a sandwich with 2 slices of bread, 3 ounces of meat, 1 ounce of cheese, 2 Tbs Mayo and 2 tsp mustard, and on my next effort I use half of everything...to my satisfaction, I have made a half sandwich.

No. That's what Mrs. 40 C keeps saying. You made a whole sandwich that's just smaller than normal.

No. That's what Mrs. 40 C keeps saying. You made a whole sandwich that's just smaller than normal.

Then Mrs. 40 C is a real smart lady!:)

Do you agree that the "half" sandwich is HALF the calories and mass of the first sandwich?

Last edited:
Yes of course. That is precisely why she keeps losing the argument.

It is half the mass of another object. But you can't say I made half a sandwich unless you made a bigger one and then cut it in half. You could say I made a small sandwich.

If you take a WHOLE slice of bread, cut it in HALF, for argument's sake let's say diagonally from corner to corner, add sandwich ingredients to one half and cover them with the second half, you have made half a sandwich.

Yes of course. That is precisely why she keeps losing the argument.

It is half the mass of another object. But you can't say I made half a sandwich unless you made a bigger one and then cut it in half. You could say I made a small sandwich.

The other half of that sandwich is still in it's component parts in the packaging...:neutral:

If you take a WHOLE slice of bread, cut it in HALF, for argument's sake let's say diagonally from corner to corner, add sandwich ingredients to one half and cover them with the second half, you have made half a sandwich.

Yes I agree except that you made two halves. Not a half. My point exactly.
:rolleyes:

No, if I made a sandwich with TWO slices of bread and sandwich ingredients and cut it in half diagonally corner to corner, THEN I would have made two halves. I took ONE SLICE of bread and made a sandwich with it, making it half a sandwich.

Last edited:
once again, the guy with the ruler that has smaller demarcations wins.

.40, you're arguing that you can only have half if a whole is divided. fee and slob are starting at a whole and only producing a single half in quantity from a predisposed pov.

it's simply sementics. sheesh.

can you serve a medium if the only choices are medium and large? same arguement.

.40, would you only be half as hungry if you only had 'my' half sandwich? And I'm not counting the bag of chips you have hidden in your desk.;)

I gather all the ingredients to make a sandwich. If I assemble those ingredients appropriately, I have a sandwich.

If I use precisely half of each ingredients and assemble them in the same manner I have half of the original sandwich. The other half is on the counter in pieces.

I reject your argument that I've just made a smaller sandwich so I win.

Posting an old family argument discussion for public review in hope that we can put the matter to a final conclusion.

The basis of the argument is this:

• It is IMPOSSIBLE to make half of a sandwich.
  • It is possible to make a sandwich and cut it in half resulting in two halves.
  • It is possible to make a sandwich from one slice of bread that is the same size as the previously mentioned halves but it is still a whole sandwich.
In either case a whole sandwich was brought into physical existence. One of the sandwiches is comparatively smaller in size.

A half of something results when it is divided in some manner.

What do you think?

I think you should either cut down or at least not post when thus consuming. :D

Last edited:
lol, ok, i'm doing so well here that i'll take another tack. psycology and physics.

yes, you can have a half of a sandwich so long as there's a reference.

if you know in your heart what a whole is when starting out, you only need to do half as much.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom