Hansen's Disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I'll start by saying, whooo hooo! Father Damien is now a saint! Personal hero of mine. My question here is about web sites in a general way on this subject. When we lived in Hawaii, we did visit Kaulapapa and it, to me, was an experience of a lifetime. Then we happened to be traveling through Louisiana, and my husband asked me if I knew there was a "Leper Colony" near where we were staying. Yes, I did know that, and knew it was called Carville. We found it and drove in and a patient gave us a tour (now it is pretty much 100% curable in the U.S., she, like at Kaulapapa, was one of the last residents). There's more to this story for anyone who wants to hear it, just give me a personal message.

What I want to know is this. The reason I knew about Carville was that I read a book when I was maybe 10, about a girl who was diagnosed with leprosy and sent to live at Carville. I cannot find that book on Amazon. Where else do you suggest I look for it. It seems to me that it was written in an autobiographical manner, but I have no idea if it was fact or fiction, just that it impressed me. I'm 54, so the book is ... well, you do the math. I've checked Amazon, but any other suggestions?

if the story is fact and an autobio was written they should know about it at carville. i would think permissions would have had to be gotten to use the name of the facility. if it is fiction i am sure carville would also know about it and been asked many times and want to clear up a false rumor. call or write to carville.

The Miracle at Carville is a story of a girl that was sent there to live, and it's an autobiography...

The Miracle at Carville is a story of a girl that was sent there to live, and it's an autobiography...
than thats probably the one unless there has been more than one auto written.

I think that must be it. I'll look for the book now that I have a starting place. It impressed me quite a bit and I'd like to revisit it!

Holey Moley! I just looked it up on Amazon. $154! Only one copy available! I don't want to own the copyright on it, I really don't even need to own it! I just want to read it. I'll look around some more, and get my library working on it!

Back
Top Bottom